Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 1 May 19, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
elliecjno1
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I went in & gave the attendant $50 to fill the Mustang & she gave me a wry smile obviously knowing it was far too much, so when I sheepishly walked in for just under half the amount back as change she said "Mustang Sally not as thirsty as you thought huh?" lol! Made me smile! Once you've done it once, its fine.
April '18 - WDW - POFQ & Emerald Island Villa

MAY '20 - WDW - POFQ & AMI CANCELLED BY COVID
elliecjno1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

When we went in 2010 one of the pumps somewhere in Orlando ( it escapes me now ) had levers.
Dh went inside as he couldn’t work it , we had a rental with Ohio plates on .. the cashier said “Aw Sir what part of Ohio are you from?” And told him how to do it ... he’s from Cardiff 😂
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
In years of using Fairfx cards, we've never been able to get it to work at a US gas station for the "pay at pump". I think it's something to do with the registered address being US. Come to think of it we've always had issues with normal credit cards at fuel stations in France too.

In US, DH just goes in with $30 and sometimes he goes back for change. We've been to some right dodgy looking places near airports over the years, especially Miami this year, however it was $2.89 there and $3.99 at the airport!
Old 1 May 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
My biggest tip for all drivers in Orlando, old and new...

DO NOT fill up here...

8788 Vineland Ave, Orlando, FL 32821, USA

Its just outside the outlet. Its been ripping of tourists for years. It used to be 3 times the normal petrol price...now its only about twice the price. Shocking.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I have seen the lift up lever many times over the years - but not recently - and it certainly foxed me the first time - had to go in and ask.

I don't know how the gas station at the Premium Outlets survives!

Last year when driving from Niagra down to Harrisburg, deep in Pennsylvania farming country, I stopped in a small town garage, single mechanic with shop and pump - the pump was really old and still had turning dials - and the guy filled for me. Like out of an old movie.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

The gas station at the Premium outlets does openly post the price of gas. Yes it is very high but the story locally is that they do not actually want to sell gas. They wanted to open a conveinance store only but couldn't do it without being a gas station.
Old 1 May 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I am an old American women (almost 67) and have been driving in the states for around 50 years. Learned to drive when "service" at stations was all there was. I sometimes still get confused at pumps so don't be embarrassed to ask for help. On every American pump I have seen, there are directions as to how you pump. They will tell you if you need to push a lever, lift a lever or push a button. If I can manage, you can, too.

I once had to return a rental without gas because I couldn't figure out how to fill it. The rental attendant charged me the prefill amount.

We still have a fair number of full service stations here (it is often below 0 F up here on winter mornings). My sister lives in NY but goes to NJ for gas because it is cheaper than self serve in NY.

Best advice I can give is if you get frustrated, ask for help and don't take your frustration out on the poor attendant. If at a convenience store type of place, you may have to wait a minute or two.

Enjoy driving here and drive safely.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
I have seen the lift up lever many times over the years - but not recently - and it certainly foxed me the first time - had to go in and ask.

I don't know how the gas station at the Premium Outlets survives!

Last year when driving from Niagra down to Harrisburg, deep in Pennsylvania farming country, I stopped in a small town garage, single mechanic with shop and pump - the pump was really old and still had turning dials - and the guy filled for me. Like out of an old movie.
We went through Harrisburg when stopping at Hersheys. The garage we stopped at had an old school coke fridge with ice in to store the glass bottles.

Another stop where the staff were just pleased to hear the accent and couldnt help enough
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I am an old American women (almost 67) and have been driving in the states for around 50 years. Learned to drive when "service" at stations was all there was. I sometimes still get confused at pumps so don't be embarrassed to ask for help. On every American pump I have seen, there are directions as to how you pump. They will tell you if you need to push a lever, lift a lever or push a button. If I can manage, you can, too.

I once had to return a rental without gas because I couldn't figure out how to fill it. The rental attendant charged me the prefill amount.

We still have a fair number of full service stations here (it is often below 0 F up here on winter mornings). My sister lives in NY but goes to NJ for gas because it is cheaper than self serve in NY.

Best advice I can give is if you get frustrated, ask for help and don't take your frustration out on the poor attendant. If at a convenience store type of place, you may have to wait a minute or two.

Enjoy driving here and drive safely.
Almost everything you say is true apart from one important fact.

If 66 is old I must be antediluvian

Mick

Edited at 07:17 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
We went through Harrisburg when stopping at Hersheys. The garage we stopped at had an old school coke fridge with ice in to store the glass bottles.

Another stop where the staff were just pleased to hear the accent and couldnt help enough
We stopped overnight - and visited Hershey's chocolate world - not the theme park, just the big store with the tour. Looks like an amazing place.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List