Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 30 Aug 19, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile Iceland in winter

Thinking about going to Iceland in February. Anyone done this or got any ideas?

Thanks
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Below is a reply I did to a similar post - hope it helps. I’d definitely recommend it.

I went last Feb half term (15/02 - 19/02) with my friends to celebrate our 50th birthdays. We stayed in Reykjavik and rented a house through Air B & B – it was about a 10-15 minute easy walk into the centre.

We booked the flights through Icelandair and arrived late afternoon. For the transfer from the airport, we booked a private shuttle through Snaeland Travel as there was 7 of us - this took us straight onto the Blue Lagoon where we had a 2 hour stop (long enough for us!), and then the driver took us onto our accommodation. We could leave our suitcases on the minibus, and just took our hand luggage in and used the lockers for those. I took flip flops and my costume in my hand luggage and bought a package which included a towel, robe, a drink and 2 masks. One thing I would say is definitely prebook the Blue Lagoon well in advance as the timed slots booked up before the day. The transport and standard admission package (entrance and mask) was @ £89.00.

On the Friday we did the South Iceland, waterfalls and Black Sand Beach day trip with Grayline.is/tours @ £64.00. It was amazing and I’d definitely recommend this trip! We came back and then went out on a Northern Lights tour as this evening was our best chance of seeing them – we saw a faint light and then it became too cloudy.

Saturday we spent in Reykjavik visiting the Perla Museum (great café there) , Harpa Concert Hall, the Cathedral, Solar Voyager sculpture, and had fish and chips at Icelandic Fish and Chips. You can get a free shuttle bus up to the Perla Museum from outside Harpa.

Sunday – we did the Golden Circle Classic Tour again with Grayline @ £49.00. I enjoyed this but felt it was too busy at a lot of the stops – coming back there was a huge snowstorm whilst we were on the main road home! The bus drivers know how to drive in the conditions.

Monday – Very early start back home!

We all took snacks and breakfast things with us so we could have breakfast before we left and some snacks on the coach trips and Id recommend doing this. We also bought wine at duty free at Manchester before we left.

Going in Feb was great as it was covered in snow which added to the experience. You couldn't use a couple of the paths near the waterfalls due to ice but everything else was OK. It snowed whilst we were there and everyone was out clearing the side streets. We just wrapped up warm with thermals and waterproof boots and were fine with the temperatures.[/QUOTE]
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Below is a reply I did to a similar post - hope it helps. I’d definitely recommend it.

I went last Feb half term (15/02 - 19/02) with my friends to celebrate our 50th birthdays. We stayed in Reykjavik and rented a house through Air B & B – it was about a 10-15 minute easy walk into the centre.

We booked the flights through Icelandair and arrived late afternoon. For the transfer from the airport, we booked a private shuttle through Snaeland Travel as there was 7 of us - this took us straight onto the Blue Lagoon where we had a 2 hour stop (long enough for us!), and then the driver took us onto our accommodation. We could leave our suitcases on the minibus, and just took our hand luggage in and used the lockers for those. I took flip flops and my costume in my hand luggage and bought a package which included a towel, robe, a drink and 2 masks. One thing I would say is definitely prebook the Blue Lagoon well in advance as the timed slots booked up before the day. The transport and standard admission package (entrance and mask) was @ £89.00.

On the Friday we did the South Iceland, waterfalls and Black Sand Beach day trip with Grayline.is/tours @ £64.00. It was amazing and I’d definitely recommend this trip! We came back and then went out on a Northern Lights tour as this evening was our best chance of seeing them – we saw a faint light and then it became too cloudy.

Saturday we spent in Reykjavik visiting the Perla Museum (great café there) , Harpa Concert Hall, the Cathedral, Solar Voyager sculpture, and had fish and chips at Icelandic Fish and Chips. You can get a free shuttle bus up to the Perla Museum from outside Harpa.

Sunday – we did the Golden Circle Classic Tour again with Grayline @ £49.00. I enjoyed this but felt it was too busy at a lot of the stops – coming back there was a huge snowstorm whilst we were on the main road home! The bus drivers know how to drive in the conditions.

Monday – Very early start back home!

We all took snacks and breakfast things with us so we could have breakfast before we left and some snacks on the coach trips and Id recommend doing this. We also bought wine at duty free at Manchester before we left.

Going in Feb was great as it was covered in snow which added to the experience. You couldn't use a couple of the paths near the waterfalls due to ice but everything else was OK. It snowed whilst we were there and everyone was out clearing the side streets. We just wrapped up warm with thermals and waterproof boots and were fine with the temperatures.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you, that’s a great help. I think we’re self driving though but good to know feb is great. Thanks.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you, that’s a great help. I think we’re self driving though but good to know feb is great. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Are you thinking of a City break in Reykjavic or more of a round the island type holiday? We went for 4 nights in December, a couple of years ago now and it was lovely. We hired a car from the airport and drove to most of the tourist spots, Blue Lagoon, Golden circle tour etc. despite the ice and snow the roads were fine and the winter tyres help.

We booked with Easyjet holidays, they had some really good prices. We also didn't find prices that bad, like anywhere there were very expensive places but also the chains, KFC, Dominos, Dunkin Donuts for a cheaper option and during happy hour drinks prices were similar to here. Also there is a duty free shop in arrivals at the airport that is good for stocking up on beer, cigs etc.
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

Mobile

We went February 2018 , a few days before we went they had an ice storm so it was touch and go whether we would be able to go.We had a few short blizzards and the snow covering was beautiful , it was very fine you couldnt make a snowball but it sparkled.We swam in the Blue Lagoon surrounded by snow , it even snowed while we were in there.
Our Northern lights trip was cancelled due to cloud , but apparently not many see them anyway and those that do use a special filter app to do so ?
As we were leaving the weather warmed up and the snow melted , the landscape on the drive to the airport was a bit bleak with out the snow
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks guys. All booked up now. Going for a week second last week in February. Excited. Self driving and staying in different hotels along the way.
Old 16 Sep 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jo williams
Very Serious Dibber

Yes highly recommend it we went early February, lots of warm clothes, good pair of walking boots. We rode Icelandic ponies, done the golden circle tour and the blue lagoon, amazing place and stunning scenery. No issues with there coaches driving in the snow.
jo williams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List