Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 20 Oct 19, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

The DC to Atlanta Coaster Halloween Road trip - Williamsburg

Let the rollercoasters begin!

On 4th October we picked up our hire car. We rented an intermediate suv with Avis. We had a discount with our Amex platinum and got 12 days hire for £396, considering that includes an £80 one way drop off fee I thought that was a reasonable deal.

The car we got was a Nissan Rogue which was fine, more than big enough for the 2 of us it was only a 1 litre engine though so Neils only complaint was it didn’t have a lot of oomph in it!

This is a bad picture of Neil loading up the car on our final day!

We had a 2 and a half hour drive today which Neil did great with (I can’t drive so he had all the driving to do!). I love the little rest areas on the interstates, this was one of the Virginia ones, and I loved the sign.

I’m a huge Hamilton fan so wanted to visit Yorktown, we stopped briefly at the visitor center but didn’t have time to explore the whole site, this is part of the battlefield.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Historic district, which was very close to Colonial Williamsburg and about 10 mins from Busch Gardens. The room was fine and nice and quiet.

Then we finally got to Busch Gardens around 2:30. We love the Tampa park so I was excited to see the Williamsburg version. It really is a beautiful park with theming everywhere.

This is the England section with bonus Halloween theming.

It was pretty busy but I had quick queue so we got the main coasters done. I loved Griffon which is Sheikras sister coaster, Tempesto was a fun but quick ride and Verbolten was my favourite, not too intense but great theming and a fun drop track in the middle.

I really enjoyed Apollo’s Chariot which is a B&M hyper coaster like Mako, and Alpengeist was a solid invert.

Neil’s favourite animal is a wolf so before the haunts began we watched the Howl to coexist show, this was really good with close up encounters of hawks and owls, before the wolf came out. Really interesting to learn about how they train and work with wolves, he was massive!

Unlike Tampa Howl o Scream is included with normal day admission. We bought a combined ride and house quick queue for $75 and I was so glad we did as the house queues were massive! Quick queue was very quick, getting into most houses instantly. In general the houses were pretty weak compared to the Tampa version, Demented Dimensions which was taken across from Tampa was the strongest followed by The Vault overtaken.

They had lots of Halloween theming throughout the park, and like Tampa it’s size works well as there’s lots of space..

I forgot to take any food pics but we added all day dining for $25 so had lunch and tea at Busch, the food was fine, pretty standard theme park food but good value for what we paid.

I enjoyed Busch Gardens, it had a good line up of rollercoasters, but we really could have done with more time there to truly appreciate the park.

The next morning we thought we’d have a walk around colonial Williamsburg before heading to a kings dominion. Unfortunately it was a Saturday and thousands of other people had the same idea! We couldn’t find parking anywhere so ended up going to the visitor centre but the queue for tickets was about 100 people deep so we just got to see some of it in passing. Next time!

Up next Kings Dominion!
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great first couple of posts - I love a theme park road trip, and hope to do a US one someday.

Looking forward to the rest 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
HEMANCLOFTY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by HEMANCLOFTY View Post
Great first couple of posts - I love a theme park road trip, and hope to do a US one someday.

Looking forward to the rest 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Thank you. We’re hoping to do a one through Europe some day, but the us one was amazing.
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List