Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jan 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

Advice needed about cat litter- sad update

I don't know anyone i can ask so i am hoping a cat owner can give me some help. My cat has been in the vets since yesterday as he couldn't walk on his back legs. he has Xrays etc and thank goodness all is OK so they think he has a soft tissue injury from somewhere. We can pick him up tonight but he has to be kept in one room so he doesn't move around much and not be let out. There is the problem as he has never used a litter tray as he always goes outside. The vet said he hasn't Pee'd while there but that is common if the cat is stressed by surroundings etc. so i am off to pets at home to buy a tray and litter but i don't know what sort. any ideas? or will garden soil give him the right idea. He is 13 and never toileted indoors.
thanks

Edited at 07:11 PM. Reason: Update
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by taffs travels View Post
I don't know anyone i can ask so i am hoping a cat owner can give me some help. My cat has been in the vets since yesterday as he couldn't walk on his back legs. he has Xrays etc and thank goodness all is OK so they think he has a soft tissue injury from somewhere. We can pick him up tonight but he has to be kept in one room so he doesn't move around much and not be let out. There is the problem as he has never used a litter tray as he always goes outside. The vet said he hasn't Pee'd while there but that is common if the cat is stressed by surroundings etc. so i am off to pets at home to buy a tray and litter but i don't know what sort. any ideas? or will garden soil give him the right idea. He is 13 and never toileted indoors.
thanks
We have 2 cats, one of ours prefers to go outside but will use the tray if we don’t let her out, I think you’ll probably find he’ll quickly realise what the litter tray is for and use it ok, we just buy the cheapest litter from the super market and clear out after every visit - hope he’s better soon x
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Flounder22
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I’ve got 4 cats who all use trays indoors. As for cat litter, the best type we’ve found is Catsan. It’s probably the most expensive but there is a lot less smell with this litter.

Tray wise we’ve got hooded trays which helps keep the litter in (my one cat loves to kick it out). However you may need to take the door off as not all cats like them
Flounder22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I used to buy Catsan litter for Eric. It’s a more expensive brand but it lasted longer without getting smelly, as long as I removed ‘stuff’ soon after he’d been.

There’s “clumping” litter which I don’t like. When it gets wet it forms clumps which you remove. I couldn’t always remove them quickly and I didn’t like the idea of him using the tray again with the lumps still in !

A plastic litter scoop with the holes in are very useful, definitely get one of them.

Put something under the litter tray in case your cat misses it, and to hold any litter he might kick over the side !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

See I'm not a fan of catsan as it doesnt soak up the pee. If you have a pets at home they do a 30 litre bag of wood pellet cat litter for 6.99. It's the cheapest, cleanest and biodegradable. I have three cats and they use that.

But tbh it's all down to the cat. He will soon get the hang of going in a tray. Hope he feels better soon .

Edited at 05:28 PM.
Emmie2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I use catsan too, my cats mainly go outdoors but occasionally use the tray in really bad weather or when not feeling well.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
nicola-disney15
Excited about Disney

We use Bio-Catolet Cat Litter which is sold in B&M bargains. It soaks up really well and is really easy to clean from the tray, doesn't stick anywhere at all. Its a soft texture, not stones like most, which we find much better. Maybe your cat will prefer this type if he is used to going outdoors on soil/grass.
nicola-disney15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We’ve just started to lock our cat in of a night (as a way to cut down unwelcome live presents he brought in during the night!). We’ve had to get a cat litter tray, and either use Aldi or Catsan. I would highly recommend a cat litter liner - makes changing the litter a lot easier (just lift the bag and tie it up).
Old 2 Jan 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I use wood litter but that’s mainly because the rabbit also uses wood litter (not the same tray obviously 😂 ). I find it perfectly adequate for his needs but to be fair, he hardly uses it as he goes outside.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I use catsan too. I have changed it up I’ve the 4 years I’ve had my cats but it always go back to catsan. It does last longer. I line the tray with newspaper and then put a litter liner in followed by the cat litter. Always super easy to clean out then.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List