Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Jan 20, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

Anyone rented a SATNAV from eBay?

Considering this...
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Never rented one. We did have a US map sd card for ours, but we just use our phones now.
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
apollo163
Imagineer

discount florida car hire rents them out on here and I'm sure he's more trustworthy as he is on here alot. His link is normally at the top of the page.
2001 private villa (poinciana blvd)
2006 villa formosa gardens
apollo163 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Sarahemeliarose
Helping Mickey

Mobile

I’ve not rented but a couple of years ago I bought a second hand one off eBay that had USA maps built in and then sold it afterwards... made £5 🤪
Sarahemeliarose is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

I have rented from Ebay, last time being 2018. Great service and price
Old 25 Jan 20, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
I didn't know people still used SATNAV's. We just use our phones with google maps, never lets us down.

Last time I rented a satnav in Florida from a hire company, it was broken and stuck on Spanish, omg we actually ended up in Narcoosee! Haha, I can laugh now but it wasn't funny at the time!

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We bought one in Walmart, sold it on eBay and got money back off it. Didn’t think we would go back ! Year after we planned on using our phones but the car had a working satnav so didn’t need to. Used our phones in other destinations without any issues. Used the here we go app. It’s very good and easy to use. Just download the maps at home and use offline when you are there.

If you do want to hire it also depends on the price you would pay. To get an old used satnav though I just don’t think it’s worth it.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

th roads change so often in the Disney Area, i wouldn't want to trust a Sat Nav. It'd google maps all the time for me. Just do off line maps when you have a connection and use off line. Or use a three sim and get data over there.

Some O2 contracts have data too, included.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I have driven in a lot of places all over USA. My personal preference has been to use a Garmin Sat Nav - it has very good features like lane Guidance etc.

When in Orlando I can easily get around without a sat nav as have been there so many times - away from Florida in places I have never been before, find sat nav invaluable.

I have a garmin purchased in USA with free lifetime maps and traffic - 5" screen.
At home I have started using a garmin Nuvicam with built in dashcam in my commuting car, 6" screen - in the Xmas sale I got lower 49 states maps for £12.50 for the Nuvicam - was just going to sell my USA sat nav, but the Nuvicam maps will not have lane guidance or traffic - so probably keep both!
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I bought one in 2017 from a link to an advertiser who used to be on here (in the notices bit at the top). Can’t remember for the life of me their name. Hopefully someone else will remember..., anyway, it was only about £25 for a Garmin Nuvi. Excellent wee thing.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List