Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jan 20, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Further to my post about getting the belt ( tawse) at school, I will say that any time I got it I deserved it. It wasn’t just given to everyone who misbehaved, it was reserved for repeated infractions. In one case I got the belt for p,aging with the gas taps in Chemistry, warned twice then belted on the third time. So yes I deserved it.
It was they norm for us in the sixties, I don’t think it affected me growing up

For those with kids at school just now how do the schools deal with disruption and bad behaviour in class? I honestly am not aware as my lads are 25 and 31.
repeat offenders are put in isolation, not sure it works for them, but it helps the rest of the class focus.

At our kids primary school (now in 6th form and beyond) they used to get the parents in to sit with their lids for the day. That was quite an effective strategy - but we were in the "leafy suburbs" where kids generally did what they were told and so did the parents
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

I’m still in my 30s and we didn’t have Proms neither. Think people in there late 20’s now had a prom.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

My cousin is 31 this year and I think his class might have been the first at the school to have a prom.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Even though questions is for 45+ anyonre can answer

When we where in schol never had a prom and perants where not fined for taken children out of school and no ofstred am i right in thinking this .
Not happy, turned 45 this week and was feeling ok about it. Logged into the dibb to see I'm now the "older generation" thanks very much

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 22
I'm 48 and never had prom or graduation. The best we could hope for was a school disco in the hall with the tuck shop open
sammi71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 22
We lived in London and used to go to Devon for holidays, nearly always missed the last couple of days in school or the first couple of days of terms. No fines as far as I know..
And yes you became an expert at ducking the chalkboard rubber, I remember being given the punishment of cleaning the blackboard, huge rolling contraption when I was in grammar school.
Assemblies every day with the songs of praise hymn book that we were given on our first day of secondary school and it was meant to last the whole 5 years.
Teachers travelling on the buses to make sure we behaved and kept our school ties on until we were home
sammi71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Many thx for all your memories loved reading them . I will add mine my up bringing was hard but ok apart from school my childhood was a pain but it teaches you life is not easy . My middle school was mile x here how bad it was it was pulled down and a house ing estate was built on it . I never got punished but quite a few did with a slipper or ruler .My last school was a comprehensive and to be honest was s... I hated it that's why my spelling and witeing is bad . Here are a few things about the school there was punishment for misbehaving normally a slipper but one occasion sticks out still after all these years . I was not able to do P E for some reason but th Teacher said you can watch so I did theee was one boy that kept misbehaving the boys where playing football and when ever he could he foul a player or even kick the ball at The PE teacher 3 times he was told dont do that the boy just said yes ok it was coming to the end of the lesson and the boy swore at another boy . The PE teacher said that it shower know he just said yes ok . We where back in the changing room the boy was in the shower the teacher said the boys name and said COME HERE KNOW . The boy came out and the teacher hit him on his bare backside and said that will teach you dont ever do that again . The changing room went quite and the Teacher just walked to his room. I never seen a boy hit on his bare backside only that once . The next term there was a new PE Teacher I dont know if he left because he hit the boy.

Edited at 08:50 AM.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Im 50

we just left school as in did last exam & never went back, cant recall any of it being a big thing

holidays for us taken in school hols, we never went abroad* so assume it was just when we went as no cheaper prices to take advantage of etc

no school inspectors as far as i can recall, e just went to the school that was closest to our house & we could walk to. nobody 'picked' a school based on results or whatever criteria

* cant recall anyone in my school (primary/middle) ever going abroad my auntie used to goto spain we thought she was very posh and/or minted

Edited at 09:38 AM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

So is the conclusion that many had an end of year school party but just didn't call it a prom. Inspections did happen, just not published on an internet for public consumption and fines were not a consideration as it was not an issue back then.

Corporal punishment was rife, but has now been banned.

Not sure there is any surprise there really. Just changes with time and international trends influencing the UK as the world has become more connected.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

I'm 56, most of us didn't have holidays, let alone in school term. No school prom, we just left after our exams. Corporal punishment kept most of us in line and you thought twice about disrespecting the rules or teachers. Nearly everyone walked to school and those in neighbouring villages had a school bus. Can't remember anything like ofsted either.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List