Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Dec 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
There is no way the court is just going to pay up whatever someone demanded because they sent a letter. If so it will be all over the internet that this is what you need to do. I expect he has come to an arrangement with the employers.

To PP, Insurance companies that provide some cover would usually limit it to £50 per day after seven days,
I didn’t say he demanded it. He wrote a letter, said he couldn’t afford to do it unless he would be paid and they agreed to pay him. I’m obviously only relaying what he told me. There is every possibility he’s lying but he’s quite a nice, genuine guy and seemed to be telling the truth to me. Guess we’ll never know!
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
I didn’t say he demanded it. He wrote a letter, said he couldn’t afford to do it unless he would be paid and they agreed to pay him. I’m obviously only relaying what he told me. There is every possibility he’s lying but he’s quite a nice, genuine guy and seemed to be telling the truth to me. Guess we’ll never know!
It doesn’t make sense though does it? That they would make an exception for one person when there are publicised standard rates of compensation. I don’t believe him for a minute, but yes we’ll never know.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
Whilst I appreciate this is what he is saying to you, there is no way this person is being singled out to be given preferential treatment against everyone else in the country that has to do Jury service, it may be that he is claiming the allowance from the courts and then his employer is just topping it up?, but having done jury service and listened to everyone there talk about loss of earnings, I'm sorry but I just do not believe that one person is being given preferential treatment over everyone else and being given their full wage, particularly when we are talking about a government body, whats to stop everyone else claiming discrimination?
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
This thread made me have some questions, my hubby is a contractor and our only source of income.

How would that work if he got called up.
I know someone who is self employed & when called, wrote with evidence to advise that serving would cause him & his family financial hardship.
He has been excused indefinitely from jury service.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

This is the rates paid for Jury Duty according to the the Gov.uk website, gov.uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim

Loss of earnings and other expenses

This includes the cost of employing a child-minder or carer, if it’s outside your usual care arrangements.

Length of jury service Time spent each day Maximum daily amount you can claim
First 10 days 4 hours or under £32.47
First 10 days Over 4 hours £64.95
Day 11 to day 200 4 hours or under £64.95
Day 11 to day 200 Over 4 hours £129.91
After day 201 4 hours or under £114.03
After day 201 Over 4 hours £228.06

So the daily rate is between £32.47 and £228.06.

My understanding is that you can claim for every day up until the point you are excused for the day. So if you are sitting around at the court waiting for the next trail to select a jury you can still claim, its not just for if you are actually sitting on a case.

Edited at 12:19 PM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mine did but i'm NHS staff but I can imagine it causing some financial hardship I was on it with a self employed decorator and he was really struggling luckily we only had a two week trial. I did defer mine once due to a holiday.
on a side note though I absolutely loved it
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Jules32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Well it looks as though I will be paid. I really do think though, civic duty or not, this could really cause problems for quite a lot of people.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I just wanted to revisit this to tell everyone to check their home insurance.
I can’t remember if this was mentioned further up the thread.
My employer was happy to pay me if it didn’t go over 2 weeks.

It did! I got a long one!

Someone suggested I check my home insurance and sure enough, it’s covered.

Please check!

Edited at 10:19 AM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I just wanted to revisit this to tell everyone to check their home insurance.
I can’t remember if this was mentioned further up the thread.
My employer was happy to pay me if it didn’t go over 2 weeks.

It did! I got a long one!

Someone suggested I check my home insurance and sure enough, it’s covered.

Please check!
That’s great you were paid, why though would house insurance cover jury service 🤔
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
That’s great you were paid, why though would house insurance cover jury service 🤔
I wasn’t! My employer was only prepared to pay me if it was the 2 weeks which it wasn’t as I had a long case.
Some contents insurance policies include loss of earning from Jury service

Edited at 11:38 AM.