Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Aug 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Littlered
Dancing with Tink'

Originally Posted by Persnicketty View Post
Largest we did was extended family group of 12. 9A & 3C, blood relations and in-laws, various generations.

Hindsight is a great thing, and with that said, we would never do it again. :-)

At least, we would never do it in the manner we did. 12 people who routinely gather for family celebrations, all seemingly pleasant, even-tempered, likeable and yet it took only 2 days for one person to erupt and behave extremely, totally out of expected character. Cast a mood over the rest of the holiday and damaged relationships for a long time after.

We were wrong in assuming everyone was aligned in how best to all occupy the 7 bedroom villa and that our expectations of how to "do Florida" were equally aligned. This happened despite a lot of open planning/consultation within the group before departure.

Truth is, the anticipation of being on holiday always struggles to match the reality of it... lack of privacy, annoying habits, conflicted priorities etc. By week 2, even we hd gotten weary of being unable to chill poolside, since you really had to keep an eye on the kids safety - their stressed parents would use you as unofficial babysitters.

We decided that in future, we would never share the same space with so many people, nor always plan the same activities every day. And a car for each family group for added independence, though i agree one being a larger car to save on parking fees is worthwhile.

We've done groups since and it definitely works better than being crammed together.
Reading your post has made me giggle! Exactly how I remember it when 12 family members shared a villa/ cars/ days out etc for 3 weeks... We are planning to go back in 2021, with our grouping now jumping to 15! Let me add we are having 2 villas this time/ 3 cars/ hopefully that will stop all the dramas.
Littlered is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Our last two trips in 2013 and 2015 were 15 and 16 family members. My trip reports are in my signature below.

We stayed onsite both times sharing 2 bed villas.

Second trip with a car for each family worked better.

We do a lot together but also split up for individual family time too.

COMPLETE - Another Birthday Trip, October 2019
COMPLETE - The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015
COMPLETE - Danielle's Report of her Wedding Day
COMPLETE - Five Little Ones Take the Adults!
The link to the post with my Christmas reveal is HERE
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 Lindfields Villa/01 Quality Inn Plaza/04 Hampton Lakes Villa/07 Honeymoon ASMo & RPR/Xmas 08 Highlands Reserve Villa/10 KV-VB-RPR&BLT/13 SSR/15 OKW, KV and Disney Dream/17 DLP/19 POR
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Beanie1
Proud to wear my Ears

Hello, we are going on Tuesday. 4 adults, 4 children, 2 of the children have autism. We are staying off-site in a villa. Booked an 8 seater from the airport and my husband will drive. The next day we pick up an economy car from the disney car centre. Both cars are insure for 3 drivers.
We will take 2 cars to the parks as not sure the boys will tolerate whole days. We can take it in turns to drive. Fingers crossed it runs smoothly with no arguments!
Beanie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I do think whether it is two cars or an exit strategy like Uber or Lyft even just knowing that you don't *have* to do the big group thing all day every day makes for a better group experience.
I know we have different tolerances in our extended family and whilst some are happy to rope drop every morning, others believe holidays are for lying in sometimes.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Our 2014 trip was as an 11 and was fantastic.

We stayed on site in Disney so no car issues and we all had the DDP.

We are all seasoned WDWers though so were all on pretty much the same page with regard to getting up to go to the parks.

Not a cross word the whole holiday and some absolutely amazing memories.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
bex85chelt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I went 2 years ago with a group of 9 my family plus in laws. I was the only planner and they were happy to follow your lead. We had a few planning sessions where everyone got to pick out their 'must dos' I then used this to sort fast passes and itinerary from there. We stayed together most of the time but I would of preferred to split a little bit more and with 11 would definitely recommend it. We mostly had fast passes for middle of day and at least 1 or 2 were rides everyone could ride although some chickened out etc on the day which was fine. I found with 9 everything took longer than just us 4 but the others were first timers and happy with that pace. I would say don't split up and y hen meet up again too often as it takes time you might agree to meet at 1 o'clock say so you then andre planning rides andre round hat deadline so need to be a bit flexible. Do some agreed rides together in the morning then split at lunch or vice versa. Always have a pretty agreed plan for first few rides of morning and if that's together or not so everyone knows the plan. I agreed so printed out a couple of itenearys so everyone knew what I had planned and could choose not to follow if they didn't want to. Also 100 % 2 cars for 11 people gives you more independence to do different parks or have rest days etc. Also a big group is lots of fun so enjoy
bex85chelt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
little tink
slightly serious Dibber

We went as a party of 19 a couple of years ago. We stayed on site in 5 separate rooms so no advice for car rental but what I would definitely recommend is to split off into smaller groups in the parks. There's no way that we'd manage to do everything everyone wanted if we went round as a massive group.

We picked a park that we would all go to for each day and would meet up with others for certain fast passes and meals. This way we didn't all have to wait for everyone to be up and ready for those wanting to do rope drop and others could stay later into the night if they wanted.

Going as a big group was lots of fun!

Little Tink
little tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

First trip to WDW I was 13, sister was 9 and went with parents. We went again 2 years later. Then again 10 years later adding my now DH. Then 6 years after that without my parents, but my sister, DH and then DD3. Then we went with everyone again when DD was 7 and second DD was 11 months and have done it twice since with all 7 of us.

We do fall out. Itís inevitable as we have kids who have certain needs and my sister has no kids and is quite selfish in what she wants from a trip. Parents are mostly easy going; but there is usually a strop from one of them! I am an early Park person and would stay until midnight if I didnít have kids!

After that ramble iíd say try and relax as much as you can. Have low expectations. And I really agree with the multiple cars advice. We always only take one for cash saving, but I am happy to use Ubers and my dad and DH drive. We also booked a night at RPR and HRH which separated us all for a bit too.
Hoping to go for the big 4-0 in a couple of years so the various trips canít have been too bad! Have a blast :-)
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I would recommend separate cars and separate accommodation . That way everyone can have their own space and time out

We went with family 10 in total and was awful, so stressful my mum took a stroke because one family member was so awful

We only go with our son and family now and itís wonderful

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsG1973
Trying for More Ears

Thank you Lisa29, I have started to read your trip reports. Loving them so far! We are from Leicester too!

Saratoska - I sure hope your Mum is okay now and has recovered.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I feel like I am much further forward in my planning now.
MrsG1973
MrsG1973 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List