Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 23 Dec 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Oh my goodness, you all put me to shame. I’m not great at baking etc. I think I have had a few disasters in my time so it has put me off. I’m currently drinking tea & eating chocs I need to get up and finish my wrapping off.
I will be making a bailys cheesecake tomorrow!

Everyone’s cooking and baking looks delicious
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 20, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I love the sound of the gingerbread and cinnamon spiced nut bark, can we have the recipe please? The macaroons look delicious too.

Love those snowmen, so fun for kids to make.

Those Snicerdoodle and S'mores cookies look amazing, especially the s'mores ones. Can't wait to see Rocky Road Cheesecake!

OB1 I am looking forward to seeing your creations. Caramel creme brulee latee sounds divine.

Tara, your dinner looks AMAZING! We had prime rib with horseradish mash years ago at Boatwrights and Nik has spoken about it since. I found a rib recipe I really fancied trying but I was too scared to splash out that much money on a piece of meat to mess it up! Trifle looks great too, I love trifle, don't think I've had one from a kit before but it looks delish.

Bailey's Cheesecake sounds amazing!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 20, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Lentil and Bacon soup for our starter tonight. Nik had two bowls and said he could have happily eaten more. I still hate soup. Ignore the cat tail please

Gammon tonight with all the trimmings.

This was even better than yesterday's dinner! As you can see by the size of the cauliflower cheese dish, I struggle to adapt recipes for 2 people

The cauliflower cheese was AMAZING:
realfood.tesco/recipes/u...li-cheese.html

The sprouts were made with the Hello Fresh recipe and were even nicer than yesterday's cheesy ones. The carrots were from Iceland, don't tell anyone

I always plan lovely puddings for Christmas then find I am too stuffed for them but this is one of my favourite things so I forced myself to have it. It would be rude not to.

Mini Pavlova with Mandarins and Chocolate - my gran would make a huge one of these every Christmas and it just tastes like Xmas to me.

These Billionaire Shortbread Bites are from M&S and absolutely not worth the money. The Thorntons version you can pick up in the supermarket are so much nicer.

Back to work tomorrow after two days off, my feet hurt more than they do after a 9 hour shift
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I love cauliflower cheese too. It looks so tasty. Shame you didn't enjoy the soup but you know Nik will love it given his love of a bisque. Your whole spread looks so great.

Oh and Kelly I like bake and cook but I'm not grrat at making stuff look pretty. You'll see my Christmas cake shortly!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Coronation Chicken

We had some leftover chicken breast in the fridge and 3 of us enjoy Coronation Chicken sandwiches, no prizes for guessing who stuck with ham and cream cheese

I forgot to take a photo of the finished sandwich, at well, it wouldn't be a food report without a few photo fails

Lemon Chicken and Egg Fried Rice

We all love this meal and it is pretty easy to make.

Floured chicken is fried in batches and kept warm in the oven.

Rice boiled and then added to scrambled egg, onion and peas with some 5 spice and soy sauce.

In the pan used for frying the chicken melted butter, small amount of stock, lemon juice and parsley for a speedy lemon sauce.

Christmas Cake

I make a large Christmas cake a very year. Mostly I just decorate it with dried fruit and an apricot glaze as I'm no good at fancy decorating with icing. I'm in awe of the clever creations of other people. This year I'd bought some marzipan and decided cutting a disk out for the top of the cake wasn't beyond me. It's not spectacular looking, but it's not about how pretty something is as long as it tastes good.

However, I knew that the 3 of us who like Christmas cake would never get through it all. So I've cut two smaller circular cakes out of this large one to give to Dave and my parents, that left us with some Christmas cake chunks! They were still tasty.

Marzipan topped mince pies

This batch used up all the mincemeat. I think this is my favourite way to have mince pies.

Cosmo-tini

This is a cocktail of my own creation. It's 12.5ml (half a shot) of vodka, 25ml cranberry juice topped up with Prosecco.

Happy Christmas Eve

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

The mandarins have taken me straight back to childhood Christmases! Love the portion sizes Colette, at least you’ll have plenty of delicious leftovers!
The rib of beef did cost £30 but I can honestly say it was worth it.

Another Christmassy breakfast today

We’re having homemade sausage rolls for lunch and cola ham with dauphinois potatoes for dinner. Anyone else hiring a crane to get them out of the house after all this food?! 😂
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Cross posted with you Abby - what another great day of food. I love coronation chicken. I want to do a Christmas cake next year because I have such lovely memories of my Nan decorating one, just a Christmas pudding here this year. We’ve been reading Heath some old Enid Blyton Christmas stories and they all mention silver toys and money being hidden in the pudding so I can’t forget to slip some into his serving tomorrow!

The cocktail sounds delicious.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
The christmas crumpets look so cute always love buttery crumpets. Your dinner sounds like a hit. I can't wait to see photos of it.

Old 24 Dec 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wow! I am loving all the cookies, cakes,soups, steaks and more. I am starting to feel all Christmassy.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I love the sound of the gingerbread and cinnamon spiced nut bark, can we have the recipe please? Bailey's Cheesecake sounds amazing!

I put 1/2 tsp each of ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in the melted milk chocolate and then popped it on the tray. Once it was set I then added the white chocolate and topped it with the Gingerbread and Cinnamon Nut Mix. It was delicious but quite sweet. I would have used dark chocolate but I had run out, so I improvised.

Edited at 01:38 PM.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Everything looks so lovely, I’m not sure what is going on in our house but no one seems to be feeling particularly hungry especially for a proper meal!
I might need to try Lemon Chicken out on the girls🤔
Colette your mandarin oranges and chocolate puddings have definitely brought back happy memories😊

Does anyone have a nice red cabbage recipe?
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List