Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 20 Aug 21, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
khonsu
Suitcases dusted off...

Is Genie the step that stops you going to WDW?

I'm curious.

A lot has been posted in another threat about pricing and how Genie will work - so I wanted to have a more basic post.

Will these additional charges make you think again about going to WDW Parks?

2002 Enchantedland Resort, 2005 Cabana Bay, 2011 Peabody, 2014 Rosen Point Orlando, 2017 Rosen Plaza, 2019 Rosen Shingle Creek. 2020 cancelled x2, 2021 cancelled x1... May 2022 - three weeks in Rosen Shingle Creek. May 2023 Drury Plaza Disney Springs. May 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort, December 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort

khonsu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post

No. I will go once more. I’m not happy about it, the old Fastpass+ worked well for us.
While I’m not ecstatic about the price, it’s more the uncertainty of what you can actually do until the day. And our next and last visit will be in school holidays, which we have avoided for many many years. So if it hadn’t been for taking my granddaughter, likely would not have gone back.

It’s not that I don’t love Disney or am bitter about the cost, it just doesn’t fit with us anymore.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

I think it's really too early to say. There's a lot of conclusion jumping for the (non-financials) without seeing it in action. The issue of Genie itself seems to be being ignored too. If it works as intended then it will free up a lot more time for us in the parks enabling to potentially not even need Genie+ as much as we'd think it could. We won't know until Genie is up and running and even then tinkered and optimised for a good few months.

What I do feel will turn people away is the lack of free dining. Given the rest of the perks have been disappearing if free dining re-appears I will be very shocked. It just doesn't seem to fit with the the current mode.
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Not in the slightest. But the rides rank at the bottom of what I go to Disney for, so I'm not the demographic that's going to be upset by this change.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

If my son wasn’t so keen to go, then yes we would be cancelling our May trip - it’s stressful, annoying and feels like a giant rip off. Disney is removing services but adding to the price. But he’s desperate to go so we will and I’m sure we’ll have a great time - I just hope I don’t feel conned the entire time!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

We will go in April (if we can travel), as planned and base the decision on any future visits on our experience then. If we decide enough is enough I shall be selling our DVC contracts.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I change from hour to.hour. TBH if Disney dining plan either free or paid for doesn't return than niether will I. But we are two adults and have been loads of times so if I miss one or two rides so beit
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Having missed out last year and this year, we aim to go next year (fingers crossed).

However, I’m not happy about the new system. We’ve not had a holiday for two years so we could afford it but whether it’s value for money bothers me and as someone else has said, the uncertainty. We could pay the $15 but there’s still no guarantee you’ll be able to ride everything you want.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

We normally only do Universal or Disney - next year we are planning on doing both, I'm hoping that Genie will be better than I fear. If it isn't a good experience we won't be going back, we will stick to Universal, maybe do the odd day once every few years.

We did 2 weeks on site with dining in 2018 and I'm so glad we had that opportunity, because I don't see it happening again.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
As Nanna says, no it won't stop me going again. I'm also not happy about paying more - I would've preferred Disney to reinstate the old free Fastpass+ system. But although I'm not happy about the change it's not going to stop me visiting WDW.

All the other changes might may me think twice about staying onsite but that's a different thing.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List