Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 21, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by quiddity View Post
]I've told them there's several companies that do birthday cards/e-cards where they actually plants tree when you buy it.
You might also like these: I have bought quite a few now and the recipient has the bonus of being able to plant the whole card (seeds) so no waste, even if the person does throw them away all inks are vegan friendly and not a threat to the environment like many card inks are.

theseedcardcompany/

Edited at 03:58 PM.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Stuff this sustainability nonsense.
This us the latest political nonsense to stop the average person having a good quality of life whilst the rich can do what they want.
Every nonsensical environmental fad you join in is immediately offset by China and India’s coal usage.
You nake no difference whatsoever, just like recycling.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

I am really conflicted here, because I try to be as green as possible but then want to visit the US - so I do pay to offset my carbon emissions. It may not make a huge difference, but it would if everyone did it.
I would love an electric car but cant afford one yet.
I had a green energy provider (mmm just gone bust).
We try to not waste water, overheat the home, etc. I've bought energy saving appliances as old ones have worn out.
I now do without clingfilm and reuse plastic pots to store items. I buy refillable items whenever I can - I just wish supermarkets would hurry up in this area.
I've switched to plastic free toiletries and household cleaners where possible.
I am pretty much vegetarian now, although find it hard to give up cheese - roll on when a good substitute is found. My boys still like meat, but they have it less now, so meat free for about half of the week.
We recycle glass, plastic, card etc through the council, I have a bin for crisps/lids etc that a local charity collects.
We invested in a Hotbin a couple of years ago so we have no organic waste at all. It takes a bit of effort, but it's great in that we have no issues with our normal bin being overfilled, and best no smells/flies/maggots.
My hobby is upcycling/refashioning clothes etc - I made a vow to myself that I would not buy new clothes ever (accept shoes and underwear) actually I am getting commissions for these from family and friends so it's profitable hobby currently.

I've recently switched from primary to secondary education, but for the last 6 years I have taught ks2 children about how to live a sustainable life, from reusing and recycling, to understanding what causes global warming and climate change, and how to reduce a carbon footprint.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I try and only eat fruit and veg that are both in season and from UK. I am certainly eating less meat based meals and when I see fish or vegetarian on the menu I now make a choice to try them more often. I have been planting trees via the National Trust scheme in mane of family and friends that have passed. My boiler is via a heat pump via a community system that only uses green energy (no gas or electric heating - it uses gas from sewage and water from underground sources to heat and chill as recruited) I dont send plastics to recycle as more often or not they get shipped abroad and dumped at sea or landfill so I send them to energy reclamation which is taken by boat from Battersea to the plant to incinerate to generate electricity and ashes used in building trade.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anna68 View Post
The offsetting tool Heathrow partner with is money to plant trees or invest in sustainable fuel. That’s what I’m going to use.
It’s admirable that you want to support this but I am of the opinion that I don’t trust that this would happen. It could be just as dangerous to ‘trust’ that our impact is offset by someone else through paying money.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Stuff this sustainability nonsense.
This us the latest political nonsense to stop the average person having a good quality of life whilst the rich can do what they want.
Every nonsensical environmental fad you join in is immediately offset by China and India’s coal usage.
You nake no difference whatsoever, just like recycling.
I was in Hopwood Services today and spotted a nice Bentley SUV. Mmm, wonder if it had the 4 litre or the 6 litre engine.

Mind you I got overtaken by an Aston Martin DBX, now that was awesome.

Wish I could afford one of them.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

How much CO2 has been produced in flying all those people to Glasgow!

I am going on holiday , on a plane ! , I cycle to work, have done for 11 years, but no thanks for an electric car, surely it’s better to keep using the same one and just use it less, which I have had for 16 years.

Same for red meat, never going to give up roast beef for tofu!

Do as I say not as I do, Boris is still being carted around a huge car, not electric , stuff it where it don’t shine
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
How much CO2 has been produced in flying all those people to Glasgow!
And what is even more hypocritical of the politicians is that they have all flown to Rome for G20 for the weekend and then they each will all be getting into there own areoplanes tomorrow night to fly to Glasgow for COP !
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Read
“Stark” by Ben Elton .Ahead of its time and I suspect closer to the truth than anyone would like to acknowledge.
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Remember with Electric Cars the batteries are a huge green no no I don’t know how this compares to fossil fuels. I would have bought an electric van last time but the range is not enough yet.

I have an amazing car that gives me 45mpg if I drive it sensibly and suspect I am one more car before I go electric unless there is a viable Tesla option when I next change.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List