Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Nov 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Anyone had cataract surgery?

I’ve been told today,that I need surgery on my rig=ght eye to remove cataracts.
There is a further complication,in that I also have Fuchs Dystrophy, which will require a cornea transplant, they are concerned that as the cornea is already weak, the cataract surgery might finish the cornea off, so then a transplant woukd need to be done sooner than later.

The consultant said they operate surgically on the cataract not with laser, so the anethatise just around the eye,so you are awake during the operation!
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

My mum was a day patient (the Monday before 1st lockdown). It was just like an outpatient appointment. I waited for her while she had the procedure. It didn't take very long.

Maybe 24 hours before her sight was clear. Some people se the improvement before that.

Edited at 03:09 PM.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Have had cataracts removed from both eyes.
Yes a strange sensation being awake but it's a pretty simple procedure, one was quite "thick".
Once it's done it's like having HD vision!
Good luck.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Warp
Gone all Goofy

You can opt to have cataract surgery under general anesthetic if it concerns you. That may alter wait times though.
Warp is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
bigseve
Imagineer

Like Salmin i’ve had cataracts removed from both eyes. Must admit i was nervous as hell before the first one and it’s the weirdest sensation i’ve ever known but it was fine.

My consultant knew how nervous i was so counted down each minute during the process. “That’s us 3 minutes in, you’re doing really well” type stuff. Typing it out probably makes it sound like they were talking to me like a child but i was really happy they did it.

The eye was covered with gauze and a small slit cut in it which they then work through. Folk asked me how i was able to stay still but you just do and how you don’t blink, the eyelid was effectively bull dog clipped open (it wasn’t but i cant think of another way to describe it) and the main sensation you feel is the water they constantly have going in and around the eye and the super bright light you’re staring into. One strange thing was the rainbow prism like effect when they move the new lens in and that remained if you looked at a house light for a few days afterwards.

It’ll only be once you’ve had them done that you realise how bad your sight was. DW used to laugh when i’d say how green the grass was when we were out walking the dog. The only downside for me was being able to see the wee bits of dust that float around and the midges!

Good luck, you wont need it though.
bigseve is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

Had it. It’s slightly uncomfortable but not painful. It’s a bit like being in the midst of a weird computer game where there is a white background with some little shapes moving around.
Perthite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

My mum had both hers done and said it was strange, but didn't hurt.

Worth it for clearer vision though 🙂
Old 9 Nov 21, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I have had both eyes done, first eye simple. Second eye my iris prolapsed, it became an emergency, 3 hours having it stitched back while awake on the operating theatre table! Not fun. Not fun for the people on the list after me either as they were cancelled and had to go home!
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Interested in this. I have a developing cataract but not bad enough for surgery yet. Good to know it can be done by local anaesthetic.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Thank you all for your experiences, that’s helped me a lot.
I think the worry is not knowing how it goes, but yiu have put my mind at rest
Thank you all
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List