Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Nov 21, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Vale
A Guest at All-Stars

Esta

Afternoon, I have seen various posts on another platform regarding people turning up at the airport and their ESTA being cancelled. In particular the fact that ESTA’s from 2020 being cancelled. Has anyone who has traveled since the 8th November encountered any issues, or travelled on an ESTA that was issued in 2020.
Thanks very much.
Vale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vale View Post
Afternoon, I have seen various posts on another platform regarding people turning up at the airport and their ESTA being cancelled. In particular the fact that ESTA’s from 2020 being cancelled. Has anyone who has traveled since the 8th November encountered any issues, or travelled on an ESTA that was issued in 2020.
Thanks very much.
ESTA's were cancelled between March 2020 and 8 November 2021 due to API - Advanced Passenger Information being sent by airlines to the ESTA system. The ESTA system / US Homelands system saw this as an attempt to enter USA which at the time was banned. The ESTA's were then automatically cancelled.

It only happened to people who had flights booked after March 2020 and who had submitted API to the airlines.

Many people were not aware their ESTA was cancelled between March 2020 and 8 November 2021.

It is up to everyone travelling to USA to check before going to the airport if their ESTA is valid.

People should not assume that just because their ESTA was originally valid until 2021 that it is still currently valid

Edited at 03:27 PM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

The ESTAs were only being cancelled if an API was triggered from the airline, as it was seen as an attempt to fly. Unfortunately this appears to have happened even on some cancelled flights, so people had incorrectly been flagged as they had already filled in their API information. If you didn't have a flight booked in the banned period or even if you did but don't store your API on airline websites, there should be no issue with travelling on a 2020 ESTA.

You can check your current ESTA status on the CBP website (linked in the header) if you're at all concerned.

Edited at 03:28 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Vale
A Guest at All-Stars

Thankyou , I have checked the status and all appears to be in order.
Thanks for your help.
Vale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

I'd read quite a few on FB who have went to check in and were told they had no Esta,as I'm now at the stage of even doubting my own name,I just checked ours, just in case...phew,still valid😁

Edited at 03:59 PM.
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

As above really. The issue came up because on some tickets the airline didn’t fully cancel the flights when people changed dates, so the original dates were still kind of live and that was sent to the US and the ESTAs were cancelled.

2 mins to check the Esta is valid should be done before every trip to the US anyway really.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List