Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 17 Nov 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

We've stayed at both, and to be honest I preferred the boat and WL. We stayed at the Poly for 7 nights and had quite a few issues with the monorail. One time it took us 45 minutes to get from MK back to the Poly on the monorail as it kept stopping and having to be 'rebooted'. This happened several times during that week; the 40 minutes is the longest we were stopped, but that combined with the other frequent stoppages just made the monorail feel unreliable? Plus, the main pool at the Poly was super busy every time we went; the lobby always seemed to be busy, Captain Cook's and the dole whip stand always had queues - this was in March 2020 just before the lockdown, mind you, but I'd second what was said above, the Poly overall has a lot more footfall from non-guests. WL is just that bit quieter and more chill. Just depends on what you prefer as a family - we didn't dislike the Poly, but we'd 100% pick WL over the Poly for a next time.
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
SouthernMerida
Proud to wear my Ears

I can see a general theme of WL preference on here 😂. Really helpful to know because as I said we’ve never stayed at either. My only final question (and I should probably have clarified earlier that we are planning to rent DVC points, knowing the risks) that they are due to be doing up the WL studios next year so I don’t know if that makes a difference. Also the Poly ones are a bit bigger with two bathrooms. Would that change your minds given we are a family of 5? I am sure we should be going for something a bit bigger but trying to get nicest resort for cheapest price!
SouthernMerida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SouthernMerida View Post
I can see a general theme of WL preference on here 😂. Really helpful to know because as I said we’ve never stayed at either. My only final question (and I should probably have clarified earlier that we are planning to rent DVC points, knowing the risks) that they are due to be doing up the WL studios next year so I don’t know if that makes a difference. Also the Poly ones are a bit bigger with two bathrooms. Would that change your minds given we are a family of 5? I am sure we should be going for something a bit bigger but trying to get nicest resort for cheapest price!
The studios at The Poly are bigger that at CC (or are you at Boulder Ridge? Both at WL).

I only ever stay in studios when there are just the 2 of us for 1 week, any longer or if more of us I need the space, full kitchen & washing machine. I can’t really be impartial as I wouldn’t stay in a studio with 5.

Have you looked at the extra bed? If your kids are older it’s worth googling pictures of them as they’re not huge. Is there an extra bed in the CC studios? I don’t remember seeing one.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
SouthernMerida
Proud to wear my Ears

Sorry should have clarified - it’s Boulder ridge as they are the ones with 5 beds. Most years we camp so are used to sharing space. If they are doing work would it spoil things do you think it’s not clear when they are starting so it may well be done.
SouthernMerida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

I own at both and love both for different reasons. You mention staying at Boulder Ridge as it sleeps 5. Based on the assumption that you're a family of 5 I would suggest the Poly as the studios are much larger and have 2 bathrooms. One room has a walk in shower and sink and the other has a very large bathroom with toilet, sink and bath.
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

With five of you, the two bathrooms at the Poly would be a major deciding factor for me.

It’s also a short walk to the TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot as well as MK. You can also now walk via GF to MK if you have the energy!
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I have recently become quite interested in trying the Poly, that is after mainly being put off staying there because of the utter bedlam whenever we have visited. The public spaces are definitely very crowded and very noisy. I like the room refurb though and would like to try it so I have been to all of the MK resorts.

We stayed at Wilderness Lodge in September 2019. I liked many things about the hotel, the public areas definitely not as noisy as the Poly, however we cut our stay five days short there because the transport was the worst we have ever experienced at a Disney resort. Day after day of waiting 30-45 minutes for transport, we found ourselves getting taxis instead and then one day we snapped and just had enough. This was mainly the buses, we are not really rope drop people so never tried to get MK by boat at that time. Two years on and I would probably be willing to give it another go and see if we just had terrible bad luck (nine days running) but DH is adamant he would never stay there again due to transport.

Edit to add: I would have thought for a lot of people cost wil come into this, the Poly being very significantly more expensive than WL.

Edited at 02:58 PM.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

They are renting DVC points Claudette. The cost will be more at the Poly because the points cost is higher, but I don’t think it would be as different as it would be otherwise (hotel room booked through Disney)
Old 17 Nov 21, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
whitefrog123
Helping Minnie

We've stayed at both the Poly and WL several times. Both hotels are great for different reasons. With teenagers I'd be tempted to go with the Poly as others have said, the studios are bigger.

I do prefer the pool at WL as the Poly pool seems to get busier. We've never had a problem with transport at either hotel (and we've stayed at WL over Christmas)

Both hotels have excellent quick service locations but there's no signature restaurant at the Poly and only Whispering Canyon at WL. Overall we slightly prefer the Poly to WL.
whitefrog123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
SouthernMerida
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you all once again for your really helpful replies. This is a great place to ask questions! We’ve decided to go for WL in the end as we will have a car which will hopefully address any transport issues plus I think I do prefer the theme. Oh yes and it was £300 cheaper over 5 nights which will pay for a meal somewhere - maybe we will book Ohana!

Having had the rest of the holiday in fairly close quarters so hopefully we will still all be talking by then 😂. At least there is the nice running trail to Fort Wilderness so I can escape early in the morning if needed! Thanks again - you’re so helpful for first timers like me.