Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 17 Nov 21, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Why do people who play for Manchester United deserve to earn 100x those who play for Macclesfield earn?

They dribble, pass and shoot the football the same amount, same amount of tackling, same amount of work involved!
Nope. sorry not even the slightest bit relatable. and using Man Utd as an example as well

now saying west ham players should earn the same as man city players is more like it.
but then again that's the same as saying should cheesecake factory servers get the same as Disney servers? yes they should, but they don't, but the customers shouldn't be expected to make up the short fall.

Edited at 05:19 PM.
millienoahleo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Chops
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
It’s just the way it is, no one’s pretending it makes sense but you won't change things by under tipping - the only way is by not going in the restaurant in the first place and making them realise the menu prices are too high.
See this is what I don’t get. I’m not under tipping. I am not required or asked to tip, it’s entirely voluntary. It may be customary. But that’s entirely different. The thought that I should avoid a restaurant because they underpay their staff is crackers.
Chops is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by millienoahleo View Post
Nope. sorry not even the slightest bit relatable. and using Man Utd as an example as well

now saying west ham players should earn the same as man city players is more like it.
but then again that's the same as saying should cheesecake factory servers get the same as Disney servers? yes they should, but they don't, but the customers shouldn't be expected to make up the short fall.
Well, I think there is a fair comparison, of sorts, which I'll attempt to drive home now...

Should the waiter in Pizza Hut get the same as a waiter in a 3-Michelin-starred restaurant?

After all, as you say, they're all just bringing the food and drinks etc.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
What you’re saying might be true for a small diner or cheap chain, but servers in Disney get a decent wage. As suggested earlier why should someone waiting a table get Disney get double the tip that a server in the likes of Applebee’s does. It’s not like they are doing a different job or working less. Just because I know it’s how the American system works doesn’t mean I agree with it.
its doesn't even have to be in a different place, a server waits a table and the final bill is $200 they're expecting $36 tip,
same place same server, same amount of people with a different order, final bill is only $100 only expects $18 tip.
no more work involved, they may have even been harder to wait on.
millienoahleo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
If you really want to get into tipping, you should head over to Disboards.

The Americans tip for EVERY THING not just at restaurants!
  • Hotel housekeeping - some even print up special envelopes and leave a tip per day
  • The luggage porters at DCL terminals
  • If they get something like a bed or other furniture delivered
  • Tour guides and bus tour divers
  • Food delivery and some even tip when they order online and collect the food
  • Hairdressers, nail techs and other beauty services
Mousekeeping envelopes used to be a big thing on the Dibb too.

Luggage porters at cruise terminals, it’s customary even in the UK to drop them a quid.

Deliveries of furniture - common in the UK to offer a couple of quid for a drink later (or it used to be anyway).

Food delivery, probably not but if paying cash I will say ‘keep the change’.

Same for hairdressers and taxis in the UK - ‘keep the change’ is common here.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

Well, I think there is a fair comparison, of sorts, which I'll attempt to drive home now...

Should the waiter in Pizza Hut get the same as a waiter in a 3-Michelin-starred restaurant?

After all, as you say, they're all just bringing the food and drinks etc.
no.
but i never said they should
now that is closer to your Man utd and macclefield comparison,
but that's why they're in different leagues
and when those macclesfield boys have a bit more experience behind them then they could be lucky enough to get a chance to play for city.
Old 17 Nov 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Chops View Post
See this is what I don’t get. I’m not under tipping. I am not required or asked to tip, it’s entirely voluntary. It may be customary. But that’s entirely different. The thought that I should avoid a restaurant because they underpay their staff is crackers.
It’s the custom/system/usual practice. When in Rome etc etc all the usual things that get dragged out when people object to something that’s been happening for donkeys years and 90% + of the residents of the USA may not agree with totally but do automatically anyway.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

no.
and when those macclesfield boys have a bit more experience behind them then they could be lucky enough to get a chance to play for city.
And the same thing happens at Disney - waiters wait for years to prove themselves and then get a transfer from ( for example) Olivia’s to the Cali Grill and with it comes the higher wages.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
no.
Well, I've never been to an Applebees, but I'd say that a server at Disney World is operating at a higher level than someone working at what I understand to be a modestly-priced chain.

Maybe Championship v League Two using our footballing analogy.

Regardless, rather like our learned friend @Dr.JumbaJookiba, I just accept it is what it is and tip in line with suggestions, or above where I feel it is merited.

Some servers we have had at WDW restaurants have really made our meals special, and I can't recall ever begrudging tipping.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Some servers we have had at WDW restaurants have really made our meals special, and I can't recall ever begrudging tipping.
Which is great, but the person working at Golden Coral clearing the mountains of messy food and plates per diner, as well as cleaning the floors and constantly refilling drinks probably deserves more.

Edited at 05:52 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List