Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 27 May 21, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Seattle

If the world allows it, due to go to Seattle for a week to see some friends at the end of September.

The first few days of the trip we are in Seattle on our own, to look round the city, before moving to stay with the friends Friday night and the weekend.

After some things people who have been recommend to do please - apart from the Space Needle. I read the factory tour part of the Boeing tour is currently not happening, but what other things people recommend?

Also, I think I see there is a light railway from the airport to the city, anyone used it, was it OK with cases?

Fun fact - I was "detained" by the US Secret Service twice in one day in Seattle (many years ago) as a possible threat to the President!
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 21, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

We always use the light railsystem from the airport its fast and efficient. We tend to travel quite light but its certainly fine with suitcases, all stations have elevators as well as escalators.

I would suggest a trip across to Bainbridge Island a visit to the MoPop museum if your interested in pop culture it's close to the Space Needle. The Chihuly gardens and glass sculptures are good.

Take a visit to Pike Place Market on the waterfront, see the flying fish vendor's. Nice restaurants too at Pike Place.

Cafe culture is big in Seattle, lots of good restaurants. Some good foodie walking tours.

Hope that helps, shame about the Boing tour we enjoyed it
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 21, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

Pioneer Square and the Gold Rush Museum are interesting.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

I can recommend the Muesum of flight at Boeing field.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We really enjoyed the light rail from SEA and I suspect it may have been quicker than a taxi (but our hotel was a short walk from the railway station).

Loved the Pop Museum (right next door to the Needle) but that’s partly because they had a special David Bowie exhibit and me and DH really like him!
Old 27 May 21, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Manc_Chris
slightly serious Dibber

We had one full day in Seattle at the start of our Oregon/California road trip in 2018, but we didn't see much as we were both struggling with jetlag!

We did use the light rail though, from Seatac into Seattle, it took about 35 minutes and cost us 6 dollars return each.

We did Pike Place market to see the 'throwing of the fish', and also went to Kerry Park which is a couple of miles northwest of downtown which gives a fantastic view looking down on the Seattle skyscrapers and the Space Needle.
Jul '95: Kissimmee/Keys Oct '96/Oct '97/Aug '05/Oct '07: Kissimmee. May '98: Kissimmee Oct '01: RotondaOct 2012:Kissimmee/Anna Maria IslandSep '14: Davenport/RotondaOct '16: Cape Coral/Spring Hill Sep '17: Kissimmee/Rotonda Oct ‘18: Oregon/California Sep ‘19: Highlands Reserve/Bradenton Feb '22: Sunridge Woods Oct '23: New England Road Trip
Manc_Chris is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Hi we loved Seattle and are going back this September - fingers very crossed! I second everything Munmun says! Have a read of my trip report in my signature for some extra things to do - we were there at the start of our road trip. Feel free to ask anything!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 21, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Hi we loved Seattle and are going back this September - fingers very crossed! I second everything Munmun says! Have a read of my trip report in my signature for some extra things to do - we were there at the start of our road trip. Feel free to ask anything!
We are due back next May following multiple times cancelled Inside Passage trip from Seattle to Juneau with UNCRUISE an adventure cruise company, small boat 70 people, no towns, kayaking, skiff ridding, Bush waking and hiking. Can't wait

Have been in Seattle in September and it was beautiful, no rain!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Did anyone go to the outlet malls around there, without a car? Easy to use buses to get there / back?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 21, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

If you want to get out of the city, I HIGHLY recommend visiting the San Juan islands. It does need planning, and requires a car (or seaplane but car/ferry is cheaper), but honestly, it is heaven on earth.

You pass the Boeing factory on the way, so you could always do the tour if they’re reopened by then. We’ve done it twice and loved it.