Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 25 Jun 21, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
meanwoodwhite
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Median household income US= $68k.
Average wage about $50k.
Some states like Maryland have an average household income of $95k.
35% of Americans earn >$100k.

And generally they pay less tax, particularly if married.

Our standard of living just hasn’t kept up, mainly due to lack of innovation and productivity being low.

They have money to burn following lockdown.
In my experience, living in the US for 3 years. The middle classes are much better off but the poor are much poorer

But then they tend to only have small breaks due to them only having 1-2 weeks off a year from work and they blow alot more money on these breaks instead of a usual UK family who may have 3/4 week or two week long holidays a year
meanwoodwhite is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 21, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
cityblueboy
VIP Dibber

cityblueboy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Hold my beer
$50 per point (with incentive) direct 1996, at about $1.70 to the GBP
Shame we can't go though!
cityblueboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 21, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Median household income US= $68k.
Average wage about $50k.
Some states like Maryland have an average household income of $95k.
35% of Americans earn >$100k.

And generally they pay less tax, particularly if married.

Our standard of living just hasn’t kept up, mainly due to lack of innovation and productivity being low.

They have money to burn following lockdown.
I have some colleagues in the US office on 239K [UK equivalents get 65K and 22-30 days leave] (plenty of opportunities to get time off too in addition to their 20 days annual leave) who never stop moaning about being the squeezed middle class and threatening to up and move to Europe. I'd give them a week before they ran back unless they could keep their USD salary. It can be amusing to see their lack of awareness about just how well off they are.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 21, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
I have some colleagues in the US office on 239K [UK equivalents get 65K and 22-30 days leave] (plenty of opportunities to get time off too in addition to their 20 days annual leave) who never stop moaning about being the squeezed middle class and threatening to up and move to Europe. I'd give them a week before they ran back unless they could keep their USD salary. It can be amusing to see their lack of awareness about just how well off they are.
Yes on this salary they’d be taxed overall on everything at circa 50% here with a proportion due to loss of taper relief being at 60%.
When you get over 150k here, the tax on your whole salary is eye watering. They wouldn’t stand for it. Then 20% Vat instead of 0-8% sales tax. Overall tax take on someone on this salary including VAT (which hits everyone), and other taxes can quite easily be 70% ish of what you earn at these levels.
This is why many are now avoiding earning over 100k, cutting back hours etc to do so. It’s these taxation levels that also lead to brain drain. But that’s another story, but it’s on top of the much larger salaries the people can earn over there- they also get more money in their pockets.
The people who now seem to do best in UK are tradesmen etc, who can do many cash jobs and utilise accounting, and may effectively earn more, and even get tax credits etc, than an employee earning twice as much on paper, earns. I know painters and decorators with two houses here, and a place in Spain.
You are right though, there’s a big section of ‘middle class’ in the US with cash to burn.

Edited at 07:33 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
I can remember paying $112 pre-opening at BLT. Plus, we were given developer points we had to use at SSR.
I've never had developer points as both my home resorts were already open when I bought, I'd never realised they were limited to where you spent them though, just assumed they were bonus, general points.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I've never had developer points as both my home resorts were already open when I bought, I'd never realised they were limited to where you spent them though, just assumed they were bonus, general points.
I think they are now.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List