Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 May 21, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I’ve not been to Thailand but we went to Vietnam in 2019 and booked it all independently. We couldn’t have afforded to have booked with a travel company.

It all worked out excellently and we stayed in fantastic hotels which would have been out of our price range with a travel agent

We flew on indirect flights with Thai airlines. I would definitely recommend these if you are planning a trip to Thailand as they fly direct from UK and we felt well looked after on the flights, with plentiful, good (for a plane) food, drink and inflight entertainment.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

We booked with Travelbag 2019, no
Problems at all, good prices and great hotel choices.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have looked at Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia on several occasions, researching at length.

The prices charged by Travel Companies seem to bear little or no resemblance to the Hotel prices charged on any of the popular search engines and therefore, I will only consider DIY. A quick look at Ebookers will confirm my view.

I have a friend at work who visits Thailand twice a year, every year and has done for over a decade. He is adamant that DIY wins hands down, given that transport through taxis etc is so cheap. He is a ‘Mai Thai’ instructor with his own, evening gym.

His advice, a friendly country with no security issues, but everything is by bartering and therefore you very much do your homework before going as they are the experts. Like every location in the world, you need to have at least some wits about you.

We are looking very much to a Vietnam (Hanoi and Ha Long bay) plus Cambodia (Angkor Wat) double in a couple of years.

I should add that I pretty much always DIY and have done for many years, USA and elsewhere. This may affect my rationale.
My daughter laughs at package prices etc.

They go every year basically schedule hotels for first few nights and take it from there. I'd love to go but now's (not covid) not the time
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List