Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jun 21, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

It will be interesting to see what the market will bear.

I have children, fortunately reaching break off age at 15 and nearly 19 and am thus tied for now to School Hols… just for now.

I am fortunate to be practically ‘Orlandoed out’, other than D.C. Ultimates and thus, it does not bother me greatly whether Orlando is on the itinerary or otherwise. It will only ever be a small part of a whoe and can be tied in to other parts of a USA vacation in order to keep costs down.

For me, my cut off number for direct flights in to and out of Orlando, regardless of School Hols and at 1.40 is around £500 to £520, the same as any other USA destination and in any case I never, but never buy into and out of the same area of the States any more. I guess that would never buy this route , even were I to still want it.

For many who still need a Disney as opposed to an Orlando Disney fix, then surely Anaheim must be looking ever more attractive.. or LA in general with Universal, Warner Bros, Disney, Knotts, 6 Flags etc etc and Seaworld just a couple of hours away… or California in General.. Let us hope that any vacation all migration does not send those prices skyward on a supply and demand basis, as California and the West Coast is very much now my own area of choice (with just a few days of theme parking as part of a much greater whole).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Yesterday I was gobsmacked at the flight prices MAN - ORLANDO totally priced out as a family of 6, so what your saying is fly to another state stay a night then fly to Orlando, what about inbound fo you do the same?

ETA; 6 adults 8 nights Easter 2022

Edited at 03:40 PM.
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Unforgiven
Imagineer

Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
Yesterday I was gobsmacked at the flight prices MAN - ORLANDO totally priced out as a family of 6, so what your saying is fly to another state stay a night then fly to Orlando, what about inbound fo you do the same?

Fly to JFK, spend a night or two there then down to MCO, if nothing else it is a good excuse to "do" New York

Unforgiven is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Keegan
Apprentice Imagineer

I dont think ive ever seen flights direct from MAN for under £500pp since Thomas Cook went bust.

Not surprised some periods are extortionate currently. You have 2 years worth of cancelled passengers, airlines trying to recoup their losses plus probably relaying some of the costs from allowing such flexible amendment & cancellation policies.
Keegan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post

If you fly into a traditional business hub, the flights have long been cheaper especially if you are flexible. How it works with the reduction in business flights I don't know yet.. Have had a lot of mini breaks and still found it cheaper. New York, Chicago, dallas, Boston, miami, atlanta, toronto, Charlotte. Some longer stays than others ! New York party of 6 might be expensive for hotel rooms. We did it with 5 but had to have two rooms in New York because of kid ages /dynamic. Expensive but loved it.

Edited at 04:38 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by evergreen View Post

As per familyG…

An example is what I intend doing from April 8 to April 23 , 2022.
I am flying into Toronto Pearson and having 3 nights Toronto, 1 night overlooking Niagara Falls and then flying from very nearby Buffalo into Orlando. Whilst I am spending a mere 7 nights in Orlando and then tracking down the Coast to Miami to fly out, you could obviously stay the whole in Orlando.
A pre trip report on this one will be linked to my signature within a few hours as I am doing it right now.
My London to Toronto and Miami to London came in at £490pp including hold baggage and are BA on an AA ticket. (Both had impeccable records when it came to refunds, I had one from each last year).
The flight from Buffalo into Miami is currently at £90 plus 22 for baggage, but I may yet beat that.
The reason for this route is to tick off Niagara.
The above is a complex(ish) variation, but in the past I have done the following to save money….

1. Into NY, 2 days then a train down to D.C. for 2 days before flying into Orlando for 10 then home.

2. Into stunning Pensacola on an indirect, then driving via Destin etc to Orlando, departing from Daytona Beach. Those flights at Easter were £430 or so and the trip report is in my signature with more detail.

3. For the really adventurous, Boston, train to NY, plane to Dayton Ohio, drive to Cincinatti then plane to Orlando, staying at Ramada, Royal Pacific and a Villa over 11 days, drive to Naples and then home from Miami…over 21 days in August and hand luggage only to save even more money. The trippie is in my signature.

If you want to spend nearly all your time in Orlando, then I suggest that you pick a city that you have always wanted to visit, but has very good links or proximity to the airport. You then spend a few days there before flying on to MCO. I would look at a multi city booking, but also at buying your longhauls in one bundle and your internal separately. I would also consider reversing the direction of the intended trip as this also can save lots. The key is to be flexible.

Off the top of my head and from experience…
San Francisco has the Bart (tube) into Union Square. Surprisingly, SFO is a 10 hour or so direct.

San Diego (11) has the airport rather close to down town (Best US city that I have visited).

Boston (7) has Logan just across the water from downtown. It has USS Constitution and the Freedom Trail.

Washington longhauls go into Dulles, ($70 taxi), but do direct from R Reagan to Orlando. Reagan is just over the Potomac from the Lincoln Memorial and thus, the Mall.

NY, the airports JFK and Newark are a little way out but with good links, La Guardia does a lot of internals and is across the water from Manhattan in Queens .

It really is a question of getting what you want, whilst saving thousands of pounds!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:53 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I had already planned on flying indirect to Orlando next year if direct is too expensive but spending 2 nights in NYC first might be a good alternative. I doubt we will see sub £500 direct flights to Orlando next year personally, the pent up demand must be astronomical!
Old 17 Jun 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LizzyBear View Post
I had already planned on flying indirect to Orlando next year if direct is too expensive but spending 2 nights in NYC first might be a good alternative. I doubt we will see sub £500 direct flights to Orlando next year personally, the pent up demand must be astronomical!
I am glad that I am only a partial ‘pent’… seeing Niagara Falls on the way in… and clearly saving thousands to do it.

Old 17 Jun 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Hawaii04
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

I guess I got lucky as I managed to get 4 flights in the Easter 22 holiday with virgin (indirect) for just over £1500. I did book them on the day they were released and the same flights are now over £2500. Very happy and also £200 cheaper than the flights I had booked for Easter 2020.
Hawaii04 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

CFB
I will save this thread for when I want to do
Manchester ( if possible) to New York , then fly to Vegas , then fly home from somewhere in the San Fran area
August 23 school hols
( too many European flights moved on to look at doing it august 22 )

If you can find me anything nearer the time that will make a good saving or give me any tips , there will be a beer or two in it for you 😀
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List