Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Jun 21, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
lovinit
Very Serious Dibber

Naples and Fort Lauderdale suggestions

On the way back from the Keys we have 4 nights left before our flights home from Miami.
I was thinking of heading to Naples for a few nights and then Fort Lauderdale as we have never visited either.
What is there to do in these areas?
2 nights in each?
Or 3 nights / 1 night split?
Many thanks.
lovinit is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

I’ve been to both, I’d pick Naples any day! The beaches in Naples are outstanding, like Caribbean beaches. You could just sit there are day! Coastland Centre mall has a Cheesecake Factory, so beach and cake for 4 days. We did a good Everglades trip from Fort Lauderdale, airboat ride, etc and did the water taxi around the intracoastal waterways to see the amazing homes and boats.

Edited at 12:10 PM.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We have been to Naples, but not the main city part. We absolutely fell in love with Delnor Wiggins State Park, just to the North on our last visit to Florida in 2019.. So much so that we have booked a stop there for next Easter.

It is quiet, secluded and almost feels like you are on a desert island, even in August. There are car parks just behind the tree line, so access is very simple. Here are a few images from our last visit…

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:28 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
lovinit
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We have been to Naples, but not the main city part. We absolutely fell in love with Delnor Wiggins State Park, just to the North on our last visit to Florida in 2019.. So much so that we have booked a stop there for next Easter.

It is quiet, secluded and almost feels like you are on a desert island, even in August. There are car parks just behind the tree line, so access is very simple. Here are a few images from our last visit…

Wow, I'll add that to our list, looks amazing!
lovinit is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
lovinit
Very Serious Dibber

You sold me at Cheesecake Factory
Old 20 Jun 21, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

We regularly go to Naples and yes, I’d go there every time over Fort Lauderdale.
As CFB says Delnor Wiggins is very nice, Vanderbilt, Lowdermilk etc. All lovely beaches.
I’d actually disagree with Cheesecake Factory there though, don’t like it, way too big a menu and not great food we have found although only been twice (second time my daughter was served up raw chicken, that was the last). But maybe we were unlucky.
Theres also Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary not far and the Miromar Outlets there are some of the best outlets around.
Summer is off season in Naples as it gets so hot, and many of the restaurants in the old town on 5th Av South (Main Street) have great offers on the food to try and attract custom as they can be very quiet as it’s so hot. I’d also recommend the original Tommy Bahamas Cafe here too.

fifthavenuesouth/

We have stopped all over Naples but our preferred choice is now renting a place in Lely which is surrounded by good chain restaurants, a short drive to Old Town, and to Marco Island which is another paradise close by. Some people like to stay right in the Old Town but we aren’t bothered as we prefer a villa and preferably one with Players Club access at Lely as that is a fabulous facility.

playersclubandspa/
Old 24 Jun 21, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

We stayed 2 nights in Naples at the Best Western Inn and Suites which was a lovely and very reasonable priced hotel, with breakfast. It’s in North Naples and walking distance from the Cheesecake Factory. Would definitely stay there again as it’s so beautiful and quirky- it has lots of unusual art dotted around the gardens. unfortunately when we visited Naples there was dreadful red tide all down the coast and we were unable to go to the beaches at all, so definitely need to go again.

Edited at 12:16 AM.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 02:28 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post

It is quiet, secluded and almost feels like you are on a desert island, even in August. There are car parks just behind the tree line, so access is very simple.
Hiya Froggy, based on the above I think you'd really enjoy going out from the island and pitching up on Upper Captiva [only accessible by boat], a huge, oft deserted sugar sand beach offering a myriad of shells to collect - we usually go out 3 or 4 times over the winter and never tire of being on the boat. Trips out last up to 7 hours at $50 a head on Capt Bruce's 21ft double bimini pontoon boat... man, we missed last winter's stay! Capt Bruce, SW Fl Private Getaway, HERE

BTW, there's a restaurant you may like on the south end of the island, St James City... Froggy's HERE
Old 24 Jun 21, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hiya Froggy, based on the above I think you'd really enjoy going out from the island and pitching up on Upper Captiva [only accessible by boat], a huge, oft deserted sugar sand beach offering a myriad of shells to collect - we usually go out 3 or 4 times over the winter and never tire of being on the boat. Trips out last up to 7 hours at $50 a head on Capt Bruce's 21ft double bimini pontoon boat... man, we missed last winter's stay! Capt Bruce, SW Fl Private Getaway, HERE

BTW, there's a restaurant you may like on the south end of the island, St James City... Froggy's HERE
That sounds wonderful.. other than a slight snag.

We are on a very tight schedule at the back end of the vacation and that day consists of
1. Getting up in Venice .
2. Going fossilised Shark tooth hunting at Caspersen Beach.
3. Driving on down to Naples.
4. Visiting Delnor Wiggins.
5 Probably eating at the Yardhouse before sleeping at the Springhill Suites.

Next day is flight day with a prepositioning drive to Buffalo Tigers Airboats, which is just 15-20 minutes from Miami Int and then a flight at 1530.

We simply cannot fit it in!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
d1gger
Proud to wear my Ears

Naples is really nice - a bit quiet which is no bad thing!
In terms of places to stay, we stayed at the Inn of Fifth - which I think was recommended from others on here - its really nice and has a nice aroma when you enter - much like the Flight of the Passage ride!
The beach is excellent - not crowded at all and only a 10min walk from the Inn on Fifth.
Oh they also do free shuttles to most places in town, beach restaurants etc.
d1gger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List