Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 22 Jun 21, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I’ve been to Oahu and Maui twice and Big Island once - you will lose the best part of an entire day transferring from one island to another so factor that in

You will fly into HNL for Oahu but you won’t want to stay there as a tourist; Waikiki Beach is only 20 mins or so from HNL and where most people stay on Oahu. A lot of Dibbers rave about Aulani (Disney’s Hawaiian resort hotel) but I wouldn’t probably suggest it for you We’ve stayed twice and it’s very very spendy (not for us, we used our DVC points) and it’s basically a really terrific hotel but I suspect you might prefer a different location
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I’ve been to Oahu and Maui twice and Big Island once - you will lose the best part of an entire day transferring from one island to another so factor that in

You will fly into HNL for Oahu but you won’t want to stay there as a tourist; Waikiki Beach is only 20 mins or so from HNL and where most people stay on Oahu. A lot of Dibbers rave about Aulani (Disney’s Hawaiian resort hotel) but I wouldn’t probably suggest it for you We’ve stayed twice and it’s very very spendy (not for us, we used our DVC points) and it’s basically a really terrific hotel but I suspect you might prefer a different location
Strangely and as you are aware, given that this is primarily a Disney lovers site.. We don’t understand the Disney attraction at all and no longer even do their parks, preferring DC ultimates and Universals. Aulani would be a non starter for us.

Attractions in Hawaii for us are USS Arizona and Missouri, Hickham Field, Waikiki and after that… I really don’t know, other than scenic beauty. Research is needed.

Nearer the time and if you don’t mind, I will be picking your brains!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:56 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Absolutely yes 👍

You must add Punchbowl Crater to your list. Moving in a way that was very different to, but just as impactful, as Pearl Harbour.
Old 23 Jun 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Just had an experience that reminded me of this thread. We often spend 2 nights in an obscenely priced hotel to celebrate our anniversary before flying home. Have stayed 3 times now, treated so well and last year they moved us to this year no fuss.

Well I ring tonight, ask to change to Aug 22 and explain the travel situation. No problem she'll send me out the confirmation. It comes through and they want $1,895 PER NIGHT, BEFORE TAX! They have added 1,100 dollars per night to the rate. Right back on the phone and told her exactly what I thought of this gouging. I keep a spreadsheet tracking the price of this hotel and never once has the room we wanted been above $800. She said it's because of the great demand for 2022 travel. They haven't even released the dates for sale on the website yet! I know full well that if I wait until September that room will be on their site for about 700. August 2021 still has availability at normal prices.

Yes I'm having a right fume here lol but when you've been a repeat customer and want to give them your business instead of cancelling for them to gouge you like that is absolutely shameful. Reservation cancelled and they won't be getting my money now after that stunt. Probably a sig that the pandemic is over in America, any empathy is gone and they are in claw back last year's losses mode and hope your loyal customers are fools who won't question it. Events like this make me glad I'm such a planner and had the data to call them out on their BS.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List