Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 22 Jun 21, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilypat
a Friend of the DIBB

Help ! AKV or ASMR ?

First of all - am I daft for wanting to book for 2022 ?

Me and my partner would love to get to Disney next year

A fly and drive cost is roughly £1600 for two weeks

I have seen I could rent vacation club points which would be roughly £1900 for 14 at AKV’s .

All in all it comes to about £2200 each for flights , car , hotel and Disney tickets for 14 nights .

For similar price we could stay at the All star movie resort and get the dining credits plus a little spending money ..

Or I’ve looked and we could stay off property for round about £1900 ?

Firstly is it worth the risk booking for next year ?
And is it worth the extra money to stay on property if so which one ?!

I don’t know whether to wait for POFQ but I only have till next month to decide whether to rent the DVC points …

Eeeek ! Suggestions would be greatly appreciated 💖

I stayed at AKL for a week in 2018 with free DDP and loved it but this was without my partner

Edited at 06:11 PM.
Lilypat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

AKV and ASM aren't in the same league, so normally I would suggest AKV. BUT you do need to be careful with points rental at the moment, as they're nowhere near as flexible as a hotel booking and you could potentially lose a lot of money if the trip doesn't go ahead. So make sure to read their cancellation terms before committing to any rental.

Until travel is back to normal, I'm personally sticking with fully refundable (or only tiny deposit loss) bookings. So on that basis, I would book ASM now to secure the dining offer (I think the gift card ends in 2-3 weeks) and potentially look at switching later once things stabilise.

Edited at 06:22 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
You wont regret spending the extra for AKL / Villas. It's an amazing and very unique resort and it's well worth experiencing at least once.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilypat
a Friend of the DIBB

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
You wont regret spending the extra for AKL / Villas. It's an amazing and very unique resort and it's well worth experiencing at least once.
It is amazing isn’t it ! It’s just to account for the extra budget for food etc.
Lilypat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilypat
a Friend of the DIBB

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
AKV and ASM aren't in the same league, so normally I would suggest AKV. BUT you do need to be careful with points rental at the moment, as they're nowhere near as flexible as a hotel booking and you could potentially lose a lot of money if the trip doesn't go ahead. So make sure to read their cancellation terms before committing to any rental.

Until travel is back to normal, I'm personally sticking with fully refundable (or only tiny deposit loss) bookings. So on that basis, I would book ASM now to secure the dining offer (I think the gift card ends in 2-3 weeks) and potentially look at switching later once things stabilise.
This is my issue , they have said they’d can give a voucher if the UK ban travel to USA . But if not then we would lose the money / trip . But if I want to book I’ll have AKV I need to do it by July 😩
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Personally at this point I wouldn’t book anything that can’t be cancelled for a full refund. We’ve booked CBR but will switch to FQ when it’s available. For the 2 of you in a mod the dining credits should get you 2 QS meals a day.
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilypat
a Friend of the DIBB

Originally Posted by bronny View Post
Personally at this point I wouldn’t book anything that can’t be cancelled for a full refund. We’ve booked CBR but will switch to FQ when it’s available. For the 2 of you in a mod the dining credits should get you 2 QS meals a day.
This is also my plan, but just seems that bit more expensive than staying at AKV think it was about £2800 each .. but obviously food would then be accounted for ? I wish it wasn’t this hard to plan a holiday 😅
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lilypat View Post
This is my issue , they have said they’d can give a voucher if the UK ban travel to USA . But if not then we would lose the money / trip . But if I want to book I’ll have AKV I need to do it by July 😩
Out of curiosity, why do you have to book by next month? Is it just to guarantee best availability? DVC bookings don't even open until 11 months (home resorts) or 7 months (standard bookings) before your stay. But like anything, you can book at any point past that as long as there is availability. So it seems odd to be given such a long deadline. I'd be checking the rest of their terms VERY carefully.

Even pre-Covid, I change my mind too often to book on points.

Edited at 06:32 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Out of curiosity, why do you have to book by next month? Is it just to guarantee best availability? DVC bookings don't even open until 11 months (home resorts) or 7 months (standard bookings) before your stay. But like anything, you can book at any point past that as long as there is availability. So it seems odd to be given such a long deadline. I'd be checking the rest of their terms VERY carefully.

I’d guess possibly to secure a value room at AKL - absolute DVC bargain but has to be booked at 11 months
Old 22 Jun 21, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilypat
a Friend of the DIBB

Yeah it’s to secure the booking / availability . It’s a value studio at AKV and I think there’s roughly only 10 rooms at that rate available …

Thanks so much for your advice . It’s so very tough to decide , especially as I’m a very indecisive person 😂