Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 24 Jun 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RuthieR View Post
DS is doing a Policing degree.Will need to write essays and access online lectures, pre recorded stuff, and take with him to lectures and group work. Also Teams should covid stop in person studies. We were looking at PC world just for screen / keyboard size rather than looking online and guessing. Will buy from online when we know what he needs.
Originally Posted by RuthieR View Post
Price range up to about £700 ish I guess. We have saved some money for it and DS got a small bursary in 6th form which was to cover bus pass for school but as he was in lockdown for most of it then finished in May we never bought the bus pass.
We had a similar requirement at the beginning of this year. DS's regular laptop lasted until the 3rd year of Uni but stopped working in March ... just as he was doing his final bits of coursework and online lectures so timing was crucial! Following previous advice I had got on here to go for a good size processor, eg, a Ryzen 5 or 7, we bought him an Acer Swift 3 from PC World for £699 - he is very impressed with it, particularly it's responsiveness and screen quality when watching films ... well, he is/was a Film student!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

Once they have got a uni .ac.uk email address they will get decent student prices if they look around. They should also be able to get the MS Office suite via the uni.
PABBY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Blast Furnace
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

As stated above, once they have uni email account sign up with The like of HP direct. We bought through them and had 15% discount and a 3 year warranty thrown in.
Blast Furnace is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Apple do a student discount & there are "added extras". DD has just purchased a new one & I'm using her old one( bought 8 years ago for uni). She only needed proof of her uni offer ( email on her phone). Expensive outlay but has outlived two of my cheaper laptops.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Check out the student offers. HP and Dell often have big savings.

Unidays showing 40% off HP right now

Edited at 01:36 PM.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

you should be able to get the macbook air m1 for around £800 (less maybe) with educational discount pricing (using his student @*.ac.uk email account when he gets it, plus cheap office365/etc), and if it it treated right, will easily last 5 years. if its just for word processing/websites/teams/etc, it'll be a great bit of kit that has a huge battery life and is *extremely* portable.

if he wants to use it at home on a desk, i'd suggest a usb-c docking station (around £30 or less for an unbranded one off amazon) and an external monitor

i use both windows/macos/linux machines daily and they all serve different purposes, but for ease of use and not having to worry (too much) about viruses and malware, a mac is a great choice (albeit a bit more expensive for equivalently specced hardware)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Definitely look around for student prices as others here have said. Apple always does a "back to school" promotion where they offer discounts/free stuff/etc so worth waiting for this is you do consider a Macbook.

A Macbook Air with the M1 chip is an extremely decent laptop (I have one). The battery lasts >10 hours, it's really fast, and generally just works extremely well.

One thing that is worth considering when choosing a laptop is what the warranty support is like. I've only had good experiences with Apple's warranty support over the years, but I didn't even know where to start with Acer a few years ago when I had an issue with my laptop (to the point that I decided to just put up with the minor issue than to get it fixed). So might be worth seeing what the support is like in your area - is there a local shop/support centre you can bring in the laptop to or is it on the other side of the country? Would you have to ship the laptop to a service centre?
Old 24 Jun 21, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
RuthieR
Getting Excited

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Will take a look at them.
RuthieR is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerliz
Getting Excited

Another vote for a MacBook here. It’s pricey but they do last a long time and they are portable and lightweight making it easy to take into uni and carry around all day from lectures to the library etc. I got mine when I was at uni and 5 years later it still works perfectly and it is going to see me through at least another 2 years since I’m starting a masters in September. It was a months wage from my summer job to buy it and I said to myself it will be worth the money if it helps me get a first class degree, and it did 😊

DLP - Sequoia Lodge - May 2019
WDW POP Century + Universal Aventura - March 2022
DLP - Newport Bay - January 2023
WDW POP Cenury - September 2023
tinkerliz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

We got DS a Lenovo laptop last year which we bought direct from them and could configure it to what he needed. Only problem is it takes a bit of time to ship. He’s been pleased with it, doing an Economics degree.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List