Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Jun 21, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

New York City - hotel and flights

Hi,

We have decided to add on 3 nights in NYC before travelling down to Orlando for 18 nights.

I’ve read about booking a multi centre with BA and getting a hotel included, as can be a good deal? Do I just book internal flight to Orlando separately then?

I’m currently looking at hotels and like the look of The Edison. Has anyone stayed here? Is it in a good location? We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teenage daughters (17 & 16). Looking for something quite central and in a good location for the usual sight seeing. Not been to New York for 10 years so not sure on best hotels atm. Not looking for anything mega expensive, just a base. Some places provide breakfast also, which would be nice just to get something quick in the morning and get going.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions as a bit lost with NYC

Edited at 12:19 PM.
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

The Edison is fine, location in Times Square, downsides are it's fairly basic and a bit dated.

Yes you can get your own internal flights. BA hotels can be decently prices but you must check that all resort fees are included as some hotels charge these and make the BA price uncompetitive once you factor in those costs. Go on Expedia and filter down to the upper west side and midtown west and get a feel for prices if you were to book yourself.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Thank you for the suggestions, NYC is all a bit unknown. I will definitely have a look on BA and check on Expedia also. Do you have any hotel suggestions to look out for? Looking at around the £250 a night ball park I think.
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EllieP View Post
Thank you for the suggestions, NYC is all a bit unknown. I will definitely have a look on BA and check on Expedia also. Do you have any hotel suggestions to look out for? Looking at around the £250 a night ball park I think.
When are you going? Rates very a lot depending on time of year.

I like The Beacon, Radio City Apartments, Affina hotels, SpringHill suites for families. Radio City Apartments can be great value as you get a full apartment in a fantastic location. The Beacon is also apartment size in a wonderful residential neighborhood.

Other than that most of the usual chains in Midtown do the job. Hotel Pennsylvania is the only one that is the horror hotel and avoid at all costs.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

For internal flights Jetblue is great. Southwest is great but has limited flights. Use google flights to price up (Southwest won't appear there) but you have lots of options. La Guardia is the closest airport and the cheapest taxi ride.
Old 24 Jun 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Fab thank you.
We are going next July for 3 nights.
Old 24 Jun 21, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EllieP View Post
Fab thank you.
We are going next July for 3 nights.
I put some random July 2022 dates into Radio City Apartments and it gave me ''USD 918.00'' or about £650 for a 1 bed apartment with full kitchen for 3 nights. 2 bedroom apartment USD 1,165.00. Fully cancellable and pay there. I would use that price as a benchmark. If BA offer a standard hotel room for less it may be worth the savings for you. If they're close on price you may prefer the space of having an apartment with sitting room and kitchen.

Edited at 03:45 PM.
Old 24 Jun 21, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Sorry to jump on but has anyone been following the news about NYC lately?
Was going to book a break for nov but it looks a mess over there at the moment, crime is massively high and lots of scary incidents even in the tourist placeswhich is a shame as have always enjoyed our NY trips.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
Sorry to jump on but has anyone been following the news about NYC lately?
Was going to book a break for nov but it looks a mess over there at the moment, crime is massively high and lots of scary incidents even in the tourist placeswhich is a shame as have always enjoyed our NY trips.
We have family there and they've not reported the place being a mess. Both work in midtown and they've been out and about enjoying the city and haven't said anything or discouraged us from coming.

I did some research and all I'm finding is very politically motivated articles. Even a thread on Tripadvisor where someone said it was now a crime infested hole was written by someone with the username 'Trumpfan' Hmm. I think like Dublin and even our small rural Irish town there is an increase in crime during the pandemic in certain sectors but to write off the whole city and suggest tourists are at danger.. I don't think that's a fair statement. I'll ask my cousins who are politically moderate and wouldn't have any reason to lie.

Edited at 03:59 PM.
Old 24 Jun 21, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
We have family there and they've not reported the place being a mess. Both work in midtown and they've been out and about enjoying the city and haven't said anything or discouraged us from coming.

I did some research and all I'm finding is very politically motivated articles. Even a thread on Tripadvisor where someone said it was now a crime infested hole was written by someone with the username 'Trumpfan' Hmm. I think like Dublin and even our small rural Irish town there is an increase in crime during the pandemic in certain sectors but to write off the whole city and suggest tourists are at danger.. I don't think that's a fair statement. I'll ask my cousins who are politically moderate and wouldn't have any reason to lie.
That’s really strange as I’ve read numerous news stories about an increase in slashing incidents on the subway, lot’s of homeless and random attacks.
Have read about 10 different stories in the last month in U.K. newspapers.
I’m not “writing off” a whole city, I asked a question as I was concerned.. sorry!
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List