Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Jun 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

What is Orlando like at Christmas or Easter?

There seems to be a reasonable chance that we won't be taking our planned trip to Florida in August. We are totally tied to the school holidays so thinking about moving it (or even booking back up flights) for either Christmas or Easter.

Have done Easter once, it was busy but we didn't feel that was a problem, weather was great, obviously it is expensive and next year is likely to be busier than normal?

Haven't done Christmas, does it get cold, can you still swim outside? is it busy between Xmas and new year or does it calm down?

We prefer August because we can play with the flight times and generally get a better deal going out mid-week because we have the whole month to play with, but I really don't want to wait a whole year! Kids will be happier in the cooler weather too no doubt.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
khonsu
Suitcases dusted off...

One word. Mayhem.

2002 Enchantedland Resort, 2005 Cabana Bay, 2011 Peabody, 2014 Rosen Point Orlando, 2017 Rosen Plaza, 2019 Rosen Shingle Creek. 2020 cancelled x2, 2021 cancelled x1... May 2022 - three weeks in Rosen Shingle Creek. May 2023 Drury Plaza Disney Springs. May 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort, December 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort

khonsu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 21, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamx
Excited about Disney

Christmas is insanely busy up into January.
DisneyDreamx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 21, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamx View Post
Christmas is insanely busy up into January.
That was my fear - school holidays are a nightmare, I know I'm lucky to have so many weeks off, but the rigidity of it is really difficult - if you want a 2 week holiday it's Easter, Christmas or August.

Easter was fine, once you get over the cost of the flights, it's lovely, and I'll have forgotten about that by the time we go..
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 21, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

The week between Christmas and New Year is the busiest of the entire year. Easter isn't far behind, but that can be a bit quieter depending where in spring break it falls. But Christmas this year is likely to be even busier than normal with the start of the 50th celebrations in October plus everyone's delayed holidays pushing up demand. If it were me, I would move to Easter or even next summer if you can wait that long!

But generally, I love December/January weather wise. It's still t-shirt weather during the day, average highs in the low 20s. You could swim - the waterparks are open (although with Disney, they typically only operate one in winter and close the other for maintenance - usually Typhoon Lagoon is open at that time) and the pools are heated. The locals might think you're mad though.

Edited at 03:38 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 21, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
We loved Christmas - very busy but amazing.

We’ve only done universal really at Easter with one day at Disney.

I’d go for Christmas for the uniqueness of the trip. I have a trip report from a couple of years ago from 24/12 to 4/1 where you can see the crowds, weather and wait times.

I am stuck to school holidays as well. We did a week in Feb 2020 and loved it

Edited at 08:10 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 21, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

We’re tied to school holiday too and have been twice at Easter and once at New Year (hopefully flying 26th Dec for a 2nd time). One Easter was beautiful and sunny, the other was grey but warm. New Year was very changeable, the week started with grey sky and heavy rain but ended with blue skies and sunburn. We had a villa over New Year and I was in the pool all the time!

Both times were busy in the parks but we don’t know any different.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Trueblue88
Apprentice Imagineer

Busy comes to mind!
Trueblue88 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We have been quite a few times the 2 weeks just before Xmas and some days were warm enough to swim in the middle of the day (had to watch the weather forecast and plan a water park day accordingly) but nights were cold. We did one of the Christmas parties one year in a fleece, scarf, and gloves. We were frozen once the sun went down. Loved it though with all the decorations. Once we are not tied to holidays again I think we will go again at that time.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List