Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Feb 21, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Atlanta experts?

Anyone frequently fly into Atlanta? R they normally so expensive? Is it possible to do a long stopover en route to Florida?
Old 27 Feb 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Yes I've often done long stopovers (up to a week) in Atlanta as my brother lives in South Georgia, so have gone to stay with him.

We've done the touristy stuff while there, Coca cola factory, Cabbage Patch Doll hospital, river rafting, the alpine town (Helen). It's been a few years since I've been over to GA so no point me commenting on prices, at the time it wasn't expensive at all and we always flew Delta so the stopover didn't make any difference to the cost.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Not sure if you mean an hours or days stopover but depending on time constraints & your interests, the Aquarium, Zoo & Botanical Gardens are all fabulous.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

The flights seem very high with virgin. I am hoping they come down soon
Old 28 Feb 21, 01:24 AM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

I’ve got friends who live in Atlanta and every time I look to go there the flights are so expensive. I have no idea why!

I second the aquarium if you go though - it was amazing.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 02:20 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

We fly out/back off peak, generally Man to Atl to Fort Myers, VS PE fares, are cheaper than direct.
Old 28 Feb 21, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Got turned over in Atlanta with connections. awful experience.
Went 2 years ago for a 5-night holday. Loved the place. Amazing city
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Atlanta is a major Delta hub. Best prices will be with them or their code share partners. We quite often transition through there with KLM / Delta. Flew into there and out of Miami a couple of years ago from our regional airport via Schiphol and prices were not expensive at all, cheaper than London to either Orlando or Tampa.

Loads to do in the area. Coca Cola Museum, Six flags theme park.

If you are Walking Dead fans then it's filmed in the area and lots of filming locations to visit.

Edited at 10:13 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Atlanta is a major Delta hub. Best prices will be with them or their code share partners. We quite often transition through there with KLM / Delta. Flew into there and out of Miami a couple of years ago from our regional airport via Schiphol and prices were not expensive at all, cheaper than London to either Orlando or Tampa.

Loads to do in the area. Coca Cola Museum, Six flags theme park.

If you are Walking Dead fans then it's filmed in the area and lots of filming locations to visit.
Vampire diaries fans (but I didn’t realise WD was filmed there too) which is relatively near to Atlanta but maybe to save the drive from there to Hilton Head wondered whether we could do a ‘stopover’ or fly enroute to New Orleans and then drive to HH from there but need to do these sights in Atlanta first. The plan then is to drive down the coast to Florida.
Or is it easier to fly to NOrleans enroute to Atl and then drive from there to HH?
Anyone done any of these routes? As you can see this is very early planning and I haven’t looked at which way may be best so know Dibbers will have done something similar
Hope this makes sense
Old 28 Feb 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
bandofox
Helping Mickey

We have been to Atlanta a couple of times.
The first time was part of a NY, Atlanta and Orlando trip.
The second was Atlanta and New Orleans. On this trip we flew into Atlanta stayed overnight and drove down to New Orleans. Then back for a week.

We to are vampire diaries and walking dead fans. There are good tours for both. Lunch at the mystic grill was just like being on the set. Stone mountain was also worth a visit.
bandofox is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List