Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Feb 21, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Fawkes
Helping Mickey

Moving Longish Distance

After some advice about where to start with a big move.
DH has a new job which will be 3hours away from where we currently live. The plan is for us all to move but I can't quite get my head around the logistics and where to start.
Obviously we need to sort our house out, we are intending on renting it out not selling but would need it to be rented before we had the money to rent elsewhere.
I will obviously need to get a new job. But can't get a job until we move and can't risk moving if I haven't got a job.
Also got to move 3 horses who are currently kept at home. I'm planning on putting them on livery but can't find anywhere that has space for all 3. Also can't move them until we have a job/house but equally can leave without them.
DD will need to move schools but can't apply for anywhere until I know where we will be living.

I'm so stressed. DH will be going in June and I'll be sorting this out solo whilst working full time.

Any advice on what order to tackle things?
Fawkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

I did this in my past, it was 1985 so a long time ago. We broke it down into steps, I am assuming it is a new job completely for your DH rather than just a move of location?

At the time of our move, my then husband had received his first MOD posting. So no relocation package but an opportunity to speak to the office where he would be working, and get some leads, this helped him get accommodation as a lodger, meaning he could settle into his new role whilst my life continued, albeit without him Monday to Friday.

Every other weekend I went down to him and we stayed in a hotel viewed the area and looked at houses. So much easier once he was working and talking to local people as we got local knowledge and ideas about areas where we wanted to buy.

I know this wouldn’t work for everyone, but it worked well for us, it meant we ticked things off in stages.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I agree with Pinkbelle, this seems super stressful and not ideal. I moved to Australia but it was very different. We gave up our UK house and jobs, flew over there, stayed in a hostel for a few days, then rented a studio for a month during which we found jobs/somewhere to rent. It all worked out fine but we went with 6 months full pay.

Honestly, if you don’t have the money to rent a new house whilst waiting for the old house to rent or be out of work for a month or so, can you afford 3 horses on livery?
We manage a livery yard so we can afford ‘spares’ MIL has 2 donkeys, and we all have a horse each, but when that arrangement ends (and it will eventually as they want to build on the land) then the first thing we’ll have to do is render down, the donks will become field companions somewhere local so MIL can still visit, and we’ll only keep the horses that are in full work 10/11 months of the year. Our livery yard is the cheapest in the area but still 3 horses will be setting someone back a chunk on DIY. Could any be loaned out in case it doesn’t work out and you come back?

If you need all 3, then I’d save like a loon. Build up a good safety net whilst your husband goes, livery will come up for 3 horses but it will take a while, people aren’t so trusting as it’s a lot if you run a bill up.

So my order would be husband goes and finds very cheap mon-thurs digs (will the company help?) save like a loon, then be applying for jobs, once you have a job in new location, rent a house, then release yours last (making sure you can cover both for 4-6 weeks)
It’s a really stressful time so good luck x
Old 27 Feb 21, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Weve moved all over the place with hubby's job- as Mitch mentioned above weve done that before where hubby went down and stays mon- thurs in a rented room works from home on the Friday- I've done this since DD was 6 months old thankfully settled now with no plans to move again.

Good luck!
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Sorry to add on to the negative but it sounds like your budget is very tight, so have you looked into the cost (and legalities) of renting your property out? All of the safety checks required plus agents fees will probably add up to a decent amount. Plus depending on the energy efficiency of your current home, you may need to make upgrades before you can even let it out as there are now minimum standards required. And that's not even considering the ongoing costs.

In my experience, the main thing I've needed for a long distance move that's also required a job change is a money buffer. Sometimes I've gotten a job really quickly, other times it's taken 3-6 months. I'd agree with Mitch to try and find some cheap weekday lodging for DH (could he do some days WFH to reduce how long he'd have to stay?) while you get everything else sorted, and save as much as you can in the meantime.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
chris123armit
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

If I moved every time my DH got a new job I would have moved loads of times...
(He was an IT contractor)... as another poster suggested could he stay away & make sure the job is for him before uprooting all of you?
My DH used to live away Mon-Thursday
Now DH has gone to a permanent 2hrs away (or he did before lockdown)so he lives away Tues-Thursday & works from home Mon &Fri ... would your DH new job have any option for home working?
Good luck with all your decision making!
At end of the day it’s working out & doing what works best for you & your family!
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Fawkes
Helping Mickey

Thanks for your replies, DH is in the forces so he can stay where he will be based but no family accommodation available. In the past we haven't moved with him but this posting is likely to be a longer term one and DD hates him being away during the week. Due to what he does he can't work from home.
Its made more difficult as it will be a North to South move so everything is more expensive.
Our biggest issues is the horses, having always had them at home the cost of keeping them on livery is going to be the biggest stress on the finances. The only place i've found so far that would be suitable and has space for them all would set us back £1320 a month. I have no one to look after them up here so I can't go until they go.
ITs just a nightmare, at the minute i'm not sleeping and just laying awake stressing, i'll have had a breakdown before we actually move.
Fawkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
Thanks for your replies, DH is in the forces so he can stay where he will be based but no family accommodation available. In the past we haven't moved with him but this posting is likely to be a longer term one and DD hates him being away during the week. Due to what he does he can't work from home.
Its made more difficult as it will be a North to South move so everything is more expensive.
Our biggest issues is the horses, having always had them at home the cost of keeping them on livery is going to be the biggest stress on the finances. The only place i've found so far that would be suitable and has space for them all would set us back £1320 a month. I have no one to look after them up here so I can't go until they go.
ITs just a nightmare, at the minute i'm not sleeping and just laying awake stressing, i'll have had a breakdown before we actually move.
This puts a different slant on things - if there are no family quarters available you will be entitled to a certain amount of money towards private rented accommodation. Might be worth checking this out?
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Have you tried asking husbands new company for a moving house grant or loan, many companies do this.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I would highly caution with renting out your house. You have an extremely tight budget. You need an EPC and to be an E rating or better. Gas safe certificate on all gas appliances. ECIR on fixed electrics. You have to pay out for any repairs etc. Register with HMRC and pay tax on any rent, less a tax credit ( only at 20% tax rate ) for any interest you pay on the mortgage ( plus obtaining consent to let from lender ) and the clock starts ticking for capital gains tax as well.

Renting out a place now is far more complex than it ever was