Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 22 Sep 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Grace2007
Excited about Disney

Hi, we went last year and the advice I received was that your blue badge was recognised on Disney property but outside the parks you need to get a red temp disabled badge - we’ve just applied for ours via george woody and it’s very quick and easy to do. Be careful parking outside Disney in disabled spaces without a permit - the fines are very costly
Grace2007 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

Just received my disability badge. I’m someone that will worry over things like that. I’ve had one the past couple of times I’ve been over. I’d rather have peace of mind.
It is a quick and easy process... once I found I could fill in forms on my iPad .

lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneysid
Getting Excited

Mobile

Hi Amybelle88,
Without a blue badge or red handtag you may struggle to get access to the disabled parking areas at all. The staff working on the car parks don’t know anything about our benefits paperwork so may just send you to the standard parking spaces.

I only got my blue badge about 18 months ago, despite being ill for the past 27 years. This years trip with my red hangtag was a completely different experience than we have had previously. On previous trips we have had to argue our case at every single car park throughout Disney, despite my using a scooter.
Old 25 Oct 19, 04:35 AM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by uktigg View Post
As long as your UK badge has the disabled (wheelchair) symbol showing, you can use it in the US - no need to get a US plackard.
That varies by State, and FL is a state that requires you to get a temporary permit. They recognise your blue badge in the sense they will issue you a permit, but it is not legal to use it to park in disabled parking
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

In terms of whether you need a blue badge, before I applied for one we used to just explain to the CMs that we needed to use the disabled space but it was hit and miss to be honest whether they would or wouldn't allow us to use them. I applied for a blue badge 3 years ago and it means they never question it which is great.

In terms of the disabled permit, I always get it! Its valid for 1 year so if you travel twice you can get a free renewal which is great.

Its not that you CANT use the blue badge off Disney property its that they CAN refuse to recognise the hologram and therefore if you are issued a ticket you WILL have to pay it as you are breaking the law. Most places aren't pedantic enough to actually enforce but for the sake of $18 I personally would never risk it. All you need is for one officer to be doing his job correctly and you could face a very large fine!
Old 5 Nov 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jen10
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Floriman View Post
We were in Orlando in Juneand I used my Blue badge everywhere, never needed an additional permit
Whilst Disney car parking will recognise the blue badge and allow you to park in the disabled sections, outside the parks it is NOT legally recognised and you will be served a ticket for parking in a disabled spot. The state of florida do not authorise the use of a blue badge, but will accept it as proof to apply for one of their red handicapped tags. So the short answer is, if you are wanting to use blue badge to park in disabled parking within the parks then fine, but if you want to use it outside the parks then its not valid
jen10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
For what it costs, easiest way to have no worries is to apply for the red tag.
Used it for years and never ever had any issues

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Mobile

Our Lee County deputy pal spoke to their traffic division re UK placards. Yes, you can use them, but, if the Internationally recognised wheelchair logo isn’t highly visible, which ours, being a hologram, is not, you carry the risk of being heavily fined for illegally parking in a disabled bay.

It’s $17, get a temp Fl placard, make online application by closely following the very simply instructions 6 weeks afore travel.