Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 22 Feb 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Miami to Fort Lauderdale - transfer and hotel

We are sailing with Celebrity in Jan 2019 from Fort Lauderdale but flying into Miami.

What is the easiest way for two people to get from Miami airport to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale?

Also if anyone has any pre-cruise hotel recommendations in Fort Lauderdale that would be useful too
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
florida_jm
Trying for More Ears

Hi, we are doing something similar in April (although have only just booked!).

Our flight gets in at 6.30pm into Miami so I have decided to book a Miami airport hotel and then just go straight from there to the port the morning of the cruise. We are planning to get a hotel shuttle from airport to hotel and then we will get an uber in the morning I think direct to the port for around $40.

I did look at staying in Fort Lauderdale and you could get a train from Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale airport that was very cheap and go from there in a hotel shuttle or taxi or just take an uber from Miami airport to your hotel. Some of the horror stories of normal Miami taxis put me off from using those!

At least you have time to plan anyway!
florida_jm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We did this in January - flew into Miami and sailed from Port Everglades. We always fly in at least two days before - 'just in case'.
Our preferred option is to rent a car, we picked it up at MIA and dropped off near the port, with a free shuttle to the ship. We used Dollar but they all have rental locations near the port. The alternative is to drop off at the airport with $16 taxi to the ship.
Hotels in Fort Lauderdale are really expensive at that time of year so decided to stay in Miami which was nice because we had a day in the Everglades NP with time to explore Ocean Drive and South Beach.
After the cruise, our flight wasn't until 10pm so we picked up a car at the airport, drove to Las Olas Blvd, had a walk along the riverside, lunch at the Cheesecake Factory and then to Sawgrass Mall for a bit of retail therapy. It was then a 40 minute drive back to MIA.
JMO but unless you are travelling light, lugging cases on the Trirail is hard work.

Edited at 08:04 PM.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JW195 View Post
We are sailing with Celebrity in Jan 2019 from Fort Lauderdale but flying into Miami.

What is the easiest way for two people to get from Miami airport to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale?

Also if anyone has any pre-cruise hotel recommendations in Fort Lauderdale that would be useful too
What a coincidence. My son is doing exactly the same thing next January.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

I've looked at this also as we are flying into Miami and sailing from Port Everglades. The Tri-Rail train from MIA to Fort Lauderdale takes a bit of time and you still need to get a taxi/Uber etc from the station to your hotel.

Uber is probably best for 2 people as a regular car can easily accommodate 2 +luggage. We are 3 + luggage and can't be guaranteed we will fit so would need an Uber XL which brings the price inline with a taxi. There is another Uber type service called Wingz which you can pre-book for a set price, I think we will do this. Another that gets mentioned a lot of Cruise Critic is Larry's Limo's, I think it's $70 MIA to Fort Lauderdale.
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
We are 3 + luggage and can't be guaranteed we will fit so would need an Uber XL which brings the price inline with a taxi. There is another Uber type service called Wingz which you can pre-book for a set price, I think we will do this. Another that gets mentioned a lot of Cruise Critic is Larry's Limo's, I think it's $70 MIA to Fort Lauderdale.
This is al v interesting! Have never used Uber but weighing up our options for 4 + luggage!
DL SanFrancisco to Anaheim Discovery Aug '23 ; WDW Emerald Isle/Florida Keys Dec'18/Jan'19; Dolphin, NYE 2015 DL HROC - 2013-14 Anaheim/LA/San Diego Tokyo Tokyo Disney Sea -April 2013 WDW - Tuscan Villa, GrandFlo & POFQ - Christmas 2012 WDW - Westridge, DCL Magic, ASMu 2011 DLRP - all the hotels (APHs 2007-2011) DLRP SF - March 2006 - DLRP DCR - August 2005 WDW Kissimmee - June 1984
kcsunshine73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
I've looked at this also as we are flying into Miami and sailing from Port Everglades. The Tri-Rail train from MIA to Fort Lauderdale takes a bit of time and you still need to get a taxi/Uber etc from the station to your hotel.

Uber is probably best for 2 people as a regular car can easily accommodate 2 +luggage. We are 3 + luggage and can't be guaranteed we will fit so would need an Uber XL which brings the price inline with a taxi. There is another Uber type service called Wingz which you can pre-book for a set price, I think we will do this. Another that gets mentioned a lot of Cruise Critic is Larry's Limo's, I think it's $70 MIA to Fort Lauderdale.
Larry limo is $95 including tips and waiting for you inside the airport.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ryanlaur
Very Serious Dibber

We have just returned from doing a cruise out of Miami followed by another cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

We paid $50 from Miami cruise port to Hilton Marina in Fort Lauderdale (this was a mini van with other travellers being dropped at Fort Lauderdale airport). We were staying in Fort Lauderdale for 2 nights prior to boarding our second cruise. Hotel was a great location as it was right on the water taxi stop. Also great for walking to Starbucks/Outback Steakhouse/Ross Dress for Less/TJMaxx etc.

The hotel provided a complementary shuttle to the cruise port. However, we chose to get a taxi, which with a good tip cost us $15 to the Celebrity terminal. This was terminal 29 which I think was the furthest located terminal so may be cheaper for other cruise lines.
ryanlaur is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List