Old 28 Dec 17, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
No Disney?! A winter getaway to Washington DC and Delaware! Day 1

10th Dec

As we were so tired last night, we managed to sleep through to a reasonable time. I think we were awake at around 0700.

We started with breakfast in the hotel as our Gold membership gave us either a free continental breakfast or $15 off any of the items on the menu. I had the continental option today and Rob decided on an omelette. We paid the difference and a tip which came to a total of $12.

We wrapped up (it was quite cold) and headed out into the city. We took a quick walk past the White House and got a few photos of the National Christmas Tree and the trees representing each state (I didn’t photograph them all!)

Having taken lots of photos we started off towards the museums and our first choice was the Museum of American History. I’m pretty sure our favourite exhibit was a metro train which moved and made noises 😀 We spent a little while here which allowed us to warm up slightly…!

Next up we decided to find somewhere with hot drinks – we found a Starbucks a few blocks away and then stumbled across a Christmas market around 8th St. We didn’t buy anything today but decided to come back later in the trip.

On our previous trip to DC (in 2007) we ended up eating at Burger King on our first night as we hadn’t made any plans. In an attempt to avoid this, we started looking for restaurants for our dinner this evening as we walked around.

We made a brief visit to the Air & Space Museum where we had intended to get lunch but discovered the food court was closed…..so instead we got McDonalds!

We then decided to take a break back at the hotel as we were cold.

After resting for a while and warming up we headed out for dinner. We had hoped to eat at the Old Ebbitt Grill (just across from the White House) but it was incredibly busy. So, we ended up at the Hard Rock Café – not quite Burger King but not what we had planned. We were getting tired though so it wasn’t a bad choice.

After dinner we went back and got an early night.

(28191 steps, 11.92 miles)

Edited at 07:20 PM.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
This is on my bucket list of places to visit. Lovely first day.
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
This is on my bucket list of places to visit. Lovely first day.
You should go, it’s fab
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

The Christmas tree's look stunning!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List