Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Feb 18, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sorry I've never looked that closely. As we are regular drivers over there Joan always has a stash of quarters in her purse so I've never looked for a card reader.

Just do as I suggested earlier and give the attendant a $20 bill and keep the quarters in the car.

Mick
Old 21 Feb 18, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mozzman
Trainee Dibber

not bothered about tolls just making sure if I need the correct amount at unmanned tolls which means getting some change at the airport, coming from the uk I will only have notes if it will only except $1.50 then I can avoid any hold ups after the journey
mozzman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
I don't understand the stress about paying in the region of $6.00 toll charge after paying thousands for the holiday. If you really want to avoid the tolls follow these directions. Leave the garage and join the south access road. Ignore the turn off for the 417 and continue under the flyover. You are now on the 527A, single carriageway. At the first major T junction turn right onto the 530, which name changes to the Simpson Road. Continue until it joins the 192 in Kissimmee. It isn't the quickest route but you didn't ask for that. There is another toll free route to north International Drive. And none of them take hours.
I agree. In July we will be flying into MIA and then getting a connecting flight up to MCO where we collect our (Alamo) rental car. In body time it will be very late and we will just want to get to the villa. The 417 route (IMHO) is so easy and even better now they have changed the junction between the Airport southern exit and the 417 to me it's a no brainer but this is the first time where I'm not taking cash for the tolls.

BTW Mick thanks for the pictures - they are always useful.
Old 21 Feb 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
For the unmanned tolls put coins in separately and make sure they register before putting in the next one, sometimes it miscounts if you throw them all in together
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
Rental cars do not use a transponder in Florida. it's toll by plate. The plate gets photographed, and the rental agency bills you accordingly

but, the cost can range from *fair* to *extortionate* depending on who you rent with

alamo costs $3.95 per 24hrs period where a toll in incurred (capped at $20)
avis bills you for the whole rental period (capped at $20)
Dollar will bill you $100 per week

just check Mr Morrow's guide on tolls, and/or read here sunpass/rentalcar
For Dollar it’s $52.49 per week inc tolls not $100 but you have to enrol at the desk unlike Avis and Alamo which is automatic enrolment if you pass thr toll on express lane. This info is taken from the link you posted. Still really expensive compared to Avis and best Alamo

Edited at 12:50 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
There are Dibbers who suggest that you can get to your villa area avoiding tolls but it takes you so far east in Kissimmee that you might think you're nearer Daytona.

Time for my regular toll plaza photos I think.

Leave MCO and pick up 417 south and you'll get to this toll. The pay cash or use Sunpass debate is for another day but if you choose to pay cash all the time just keep right give them no more than a $20 bill and ask for change and they'll give you a stash of quarters.

You'll probably go through two of these at around $1.50 each. I don't know where you'll leave the 417 but some off ramps are unmanned like this at j2 off 417. This was $1 (four quarters) last December.

There are no cashless tolls in Florida other than on the Turnpike near Miami in Dade County and some in downtown Tampa.

Mick

I agree with you heading South from the airport and joining 192 near downtown Kissimmee is definitely a mistake just to avoid tolls.

There is at least one cashless toll that might be relevant for some though. Going South on the Turnpike just past 192 is an exit that is Sunpass only. It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere in St Cloud BUT it is the preferred Sat Nav route to Wild Florida. I think the next junction is about 40 miles away at Yeehaw Junction! Definitely one to avoid for anyone who doesn't want to activate Sunpass as you can get there from 192 instead.

Personally I am always happy when I can get somewhere by toll road. I do a lot of 30 minute plus trips for my DD's numerous doctors appointments etc. The toll roads are invariably quieter, faster and easier to drive on and well worth a few dollars to avoid dozens of stop lights.
Old 22 Feb 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

My personal take on this

I normallly Hire Alamo.
I’m on holiday that’s cost me thousands of dollars, so $20 plus tolls is not much to pay for the convenience, not having to stop, have change ready etc. I can just drive as normal, concentrate on the roads instead of looking for the toll plazas. If I avoid tolls will I not just be paying extra for fuel as I’ll have travelled further?
I use the Osceola Parkway regularly and this toll road for me is so convenient.
As others have said the toll roads tend to be quieter, and better maintained than the “normal” roads.
I think the most I paid over three weeks including the admin charge has been less than $40. I just think of it as part of the cost of car hire.

Nothing wrong with avoiding toll roads, paying cash etc, as it’s a personal choice, just showing my choice.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I agree with you heading South from the airport and joining 192 near downtown Kissimmee is definitely a mistake just to avoid tolls.

There is at least one cashless toll that might be relevant for some though. Going South on the Turnpike just past 192 is an exit that is Sunpass only. It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere in St Cloud BUT it is the preferred Sat Nav route to Wild Florida. I think the next junction is about 40 miles away at Yeehaw Junction! Definitely one to avoid for anyone who doesn't want to activate Sunpass as you can get there from 192 instead.

Personally I am always happy when I can get somewhere by toll road. I do a lot of 30 minute plus trips for my DD's numerous doctors appointments etc. The toll roads are invariably quieter, faster and easier to drive on and well worth a few dollars to avoid dozens of stop lights.
Donna

Thank you for adding that extra cashless toll to my exclusions list which I will add in future.

We very much agree with you about using toll roads. As you may have detected over the years we are pretty regular visitors to the Loop just in case B&BW are doing a buy 3 get 78 free deal.

Easily prefer using the Osceola as our east-west route even with the toll near the Loop instead of using US192 and 500 traffic lights.

Mick