Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 24 Feb 18, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

The Big Apple and a Big Ship! - Day 1 - Travel Day to New York

July 31, 2017 – Travel Day to New York

Alarm went off at 4am but we were already awake, quick shower and coffee and then down to hotel reception to get the Heathrow Hoppa to terminal 2 at 4.49am.

Self check in at United Airlines counter including scanning passport, inputting hotel details and printing baggage tags then bag drop for the suitcases.
Security was very quiet and we were in the departure lounge before 6am, breakfast at Leon's, healthy breakfast baps and mini hash brown bites.
Heathow Airport picture as it was a bit early for me to be taking photos, however I am sure that Harriet 'snap chatted' it!

Wandered around the shops, Harriet got ice cream, we both bought magazines and sweets, boots for cough medicine (VAT free!) then we sat in a quiet area until 7.30 when the gate was announced.
Gate B32 walked under runway for about 10 minutes and flight was boarding.
Seats 23a and b, pair over the wing, loads of room and comfy. Take off at 8.45am.

Film choices were different to internet ... watched Hacksaw Ridge, Why Him? and The Edge of Seventeen.
Breakfast served at 10am, choice of waffle and sausage or sausage, omelette and hash brown. Coffee, fruit and muffin.
Flight time as expected at 7.20hrs. Sandwich provided just before landing which was at 11.10am NY time.

Got off the plane after a dog which had travelled a few rows in front of us! And we were quickly through customs where both of us had fingerprints taken, but then our luggage took ages and to use a luggage cart was $6.
Bags went through a machine in customs looking for food!

Outside the airport we picked up taxi a New Jersey one and paid $100 into city including $20 tolls and tip took about 40 minutes with a very fast taxi driver!

Checked into the Wellington Hotel but room not ready so got changed into shorts in the rest rooms and went out. Hotel is half way between Times Square and Central Park and opposite Starbucks and next to the subway station on 7th Avenue and 57th Street.

We walked a few blocks south towards Times Square and converted our Explorer Pass card into tickets for the hop on hop off bus and got onto the midtown loop. Bus had a tour guide telling stories about the area, we went from Times Square along 42nd street towards the Hudson river where the USS Intrepid is moored and then back to the other side of Manhattan and saw the UN, saw the Empire State building, 5th Avenue etc.

When we got off back at Times Square we went into McD’s and then shopping, Forever 21 and Sephora.

Back to the hotel at about 5pm via Starbucks, where we bought iced tea and juice, we picked up our bags and room keys. Our room was 536 on 5th floor with view of 55th street, small room with 2 beds and noisy air con with took me a while to work out how to turn it off!

Harriet put her new make up on and we went out to Central Park by now it was 7pm NY time and midnight in the U.K. and we had been up since 4am.
Harriet got a bacon burger in Wendy's and I got Dunkin' Donuts, we both bought drinks in CVS and then went back to the hotel.
Lights out before 9pm!

At the end of each day, certainly when we were in NY, I tried to make a note of what we spent! (not sure why as it is a bit eye watering at times, although may be useful in the future or for others!)

Luggage Trolley $6
Taxi $100
Starbucks $10
McD $17
Starbucks $10
CVS snacks and make up $55
Wendy's $7
Dunkin' Donuts $7

I also had a FitBit obsession and recorded our steps each day, so today I completed 18776 Steps or 7.8 miles !

Gillian xoxo

Edited at 05:50 PM.
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Fab first day, you managed to fit a lot in! Great pics looking forward to more ☺

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Really looking forward to reading more.
I love New York trip reports,it's like reliving,your own holiday,all over again.
Tracy x
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
This sounds like a lovely travel day. We were there last summer staying at the Sheraton which must have been really close to your hotel. I'm trying to remember it...I think ours was 53rd and 7th, so slightly closer to Times Square. It was a great location though. I'm looking forward to the next update.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
What a great first day. You both must have been exhausted. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your report as it is a holiday I'd love to have. Can I ask who you booked with?
Old 22 Mar 18, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

great first day. Yeah sometimes its best not to count how much we have spent!
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
ok lots of questions now

we are looking at nyc in april next year with our 11 year old flying united
was the flight good? lots to watch on the tv?
food ok?
drinks included?

what about hotel would you recommend it?

thanks a mill
dozy

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List