Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 13 Aug 17, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

First but not Last, Day 5

Day 5 Monday June 26th 2017

Sad day today the day we went home, but we had booked ourselves a late crossing with Euro Tunnel and did not need to be back in Calais until about 7:30 tonight so had time for a quick recap of both parks first.

We had decided last night that we would get ourselves a proper breakfast this morning after checking out and so that is what we did. We packed our rooms up and put our stuff in the car before catching the bus over to the parks.

After security we went over to Annette’s where we had a couple of minutes wait until they opened at 10am. We were a bit concerned that we would only be able to order their ‘menu’ fixed meals, but when Julia asked if she could just have toast that wasn’t a problem. Sandra, Brian and I all had the fixed breakfast ‘Menu’ all be it Sandra didn’t have the coffee.

We didn’t rush breakfast, but we were on our way into the parks about 10:45.

Another hot day today, look at that sky.

First ride of the day was Phantom Manor again. This is firmly Julia’s favourite I think, despite hiding behind me each time we passed the skeleton dog. Of course getting to Phantom Manor means passing Big Thunder, which looked fantastic in the sunshine.

The train gives you some idea of the scale of this attraction.

Phantom Manor’s ride building is completely hidden from the park.

You can’t help but watch Big Thunder while waiting for Phantom Manor.

The view from Phantom Manor’s exit.

Big Thunder was our next ride, Julia was getting better with it but I still wonder how much of it she had her eyes open for. I was certainly looking around, there is so much detail to see.

Big Thunder is on the island with tunnels under the river to get back and forth to the station.

Details in the river visible from Big Thunder’s exit line.

Brian and I tried to work out if this was real mining machinery or fake.

Sandra had been reading some reviews and said the show next to the castle was well worth watching, so after checking the show times on the app we made our way over via Adventureland.

Beautiful ceiling and lights on the entrance to Adventureland.

When we got over to the stage there were already a lot of people waiting and all of the benches in the shade were already occupied. As I said it was another hot day today and the idea of sitting out in the full sun for an hour really didn’t appeal to Julia and I. Sandra and Brian settled themselves down next to a bin but Julia and I wandered around a while longer. Eventually I parked the wheelchair up on the end of a bench and set myself down on the floor next to it.

People stayed sat down for the show and so we had quite a good view. A couple had stood when the show started but either sat themselves down or were persuaded to by those behind them. Just before the show started a family had arrived with a buggy between us and the stage, this was fine, but the balloon tied to the buggy was a total pain. I really don’t see the point of these, the kid it was obviously for couldn’t see it as it was above the hood of the buggy, but everyone behind couldn’t see anything but the balloon. Thankfully there was a bit of a breeze and it sometimes blew the balloon flat, I don’t think the people it bounced about on were so thankful.

Oh how I wanted to snip that string.

Sometimes it blew completely out of shot.

Everyone take a bow.

The show itself I could take or leave to be honest. Like the Star Wars show over in the Studios it is less of a show and more a parade of characters across the stage, but these ones dance. The costumed characters must have been absolutely roasting, but the core group of male backing dancers didn’t stop for the whole 30 minutes. They must be incredibly fit and exhausted by the end of a day’s work.

Sandra and Brian came and found us and we moved on for one last go on Buzz this trip. I do much prefer this version to the Orlando one as you take the guns out of their holders and so it is much easier to aim.

We were done with Disneyland park for this trip and so with heavy heart took one last photo of the castle against the perfect summer sky and made our way out of the park and over to the Studios.

This was the last we saw of summer I think.

It would appear we left Disneyland Park about 1:20.

The hat has found a new home in the Studios, or maybe this is a copy?

We had to go back to the Studios to hand the wheelchair back in there as that is where we had hired it from, so while we were there we went on a couple of the highlights as well.

First up Tower of Terror.

Followed by Ratatouille.

Sadly there was no showing of Mickey and the Magician we could see and still make our channel crossing and so we had to make our way back to the rental shop to return the wheelchair and collect our deposit back (something that took two CMs and a load of paper between them). We headed out of the park about 2:30 to start our journey home.

That is indeed a wrap.

Back at the hotel we picked up a snack and drink from Starbucks and hit the road. I was driving this first leg and so had my muffin on the seats outside the store before getting in the car, others brought theirs with them.

Last photo of the holiday.

We started our journey with a stop at the petrol station on Disney, while it might have been more expensive than heading off into Paris it was certainly cheaper than stopping on the motorway for fuel.

The trip up to Calais was nice and smooth with just one brief stop for a restroom. We did think about stopping to eat in Arras, but decided it would have been rushed and so pressed on to the port. When we got there we found there had been issues earlier in the day causing delays of about 30 minutes, but that just gave us time to eat comfortably. I did look at Burger King, but at over 10 Euros for just the burger I instead joined the other three in the sandwich shop. More coffee was brought and soon we saw our shuttle called.

The English motorways behaved themselves and after a brief stop at Thurrock to let that coffee out we were soon dropping Sandra and Brian off near Bedford before the last few minutes home up the M1 to Northampton.

Conclusion
Julia and I had gone to Paris expecting to find the poor relation of the Disney parks and not overly expecting to enjoy ourselves. What we had found were exquisite parks with some of the best theming of any Disney parks, they are simply beautiful. Where we expected poor customer service we found friendly, helpful Cast Members as good as any in Florida. We had been warned about expensive food, but found it better value than the US with their habit of including drinks and deserts. We were not at all sure about the language barrier, but found shows and rides perfectly understandable and some amazingly skilled multi-lingual staff who need to speak a multitude of European languages. The only issues we had experienced were getting hold of food and now we know that you have to eat at the main meal times or go hungry.

We enjoyed our trip so much and missed having Edward with us so much that we signed up to the various Disney marketing lists and as soon as their winter 2017 offers appeared we booked another trip for all three of us. We are booked back at the Hotel Cheyanne December 3rd to the 7th, just got to buy some more thermal underwear before we go.

Link back to the index.

Edited at 06:49 PM.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
I have really loved reading your reports,thankyou so much.You have made me so look forward to our trip in September and all the worry over wether it would match up to Florida has disappeared ,thanks again!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip to DLP. I just love it myself and get quite upset when people compare it unfavorably to Florida. I think you probably saw the park at its best - it looks beautiful in the sun. Do make sure you pack plenty of thermals when you go in December and you will be fine. I would love to see the Christmas decorations at DLP but haven't made it for Christmas yet. I hope you do another report with lots of lovely pictures.
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lottie89
Imagineer

Mobile

Great report! It's so lovely to hear that your preconceptions didn't materialise.

I adore both WDW and DLP, they are different kinds of holiday for me and I love them both equally. I'd agree that DLP is potentially better themed, it seems to be more charming with lots of little nooks and crannies to explore.

Thanks for sharing
California ~ 2015
lottie89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Quensabob View Post
I have really loved reading your reports,thankyou so much.You have made me so look forward to our trip in September and all the worry over wether it would match up to Florida has disappeared ,thanks again!
I hope you have a fantastic time.

Originally Posted by clochette View Post
I am so glad you enjoyed your trip to DLP. I just love it myself and get quite upset when people compare it unfavorably to Florida. I think you probably saw the park at its best - it looks beautiful in the sun. Do make sure you pack plenty of thermals when you go in December and you will be fine. I would love to see the Christmas decorations at DLP but haven't made it for Christmas yet. I hope you do another report with lots of lovely pictures.
I'll certainly try and do another report for the Christmas trip.

Originally Posted by lottie89 View Post
Great report! It's so lovely to hear that your preconceptions didn't materialise.

I adore both WDW and DLP, they are different kinds of holiday for me and I love them both equally. I'd agree that DLP is potentially better themed, it seems to be more charming with lots of little nooks and crannies to explore.

Thanks for sharing
I think people need to accept they are different park in WDW and DLP. You can certainly see where the experience of WDW was used to improve DLP, like the arcades giving more space to get people in and out.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Perfect, perfect, perfect! Thanks for your fantastic trip report and amazing photos. Because of everything you've written, taken photos of, the info about the food plus language barrier, yourselves and Justin Scarred vlogs have finally made my mind up to go. We always end up at PortAventura in Spain as there's sun, pools and water parks along with the theme park. Now I've read your report I'm booking DLP too. Once again thank you so much.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

I have loved reading your trip report days and looking at your wonderful photos, what a brilliant trip report, thank you so much, looking forward to the next one .
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Popsickle View Post
Perfect, perfect, perfect! Thanks for your fantastic trip report and amazing photos. Because of everything you've written, taken photos of, the info about the food plus language barrier, yourselves and Justin Scarred vlogs have finally made my mind up to go. We always end up at PortAventura in Spain as there's sun, pools and water parks along with the theme park. Now I've read your report I'm booking DLP too. Once again thank you so much.
Thanks for reading, I hope you have as good a time as we did.
Old 17 Aug 17, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
I have loved reading your trip report days and looking at your wonderful photos, what a brilliant trip report, thank you so much, looking forward to the next one .
Thanks for your kind words. I'll try to take some notes in December to go with the pictures.
Old 22 Aug 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
What a wonderful last day! I really want to see that show, from what I have seen on YouTube there is a song about each land, with appropriate characters, and it looks great fun. Shame you didn't get to see the Forest of Enchantment show - I've never been there when that's running and it is very highly regarded. In December you'll get the Frozen show, which is fun (even without kids).

So glad you are coming back! Having done the Christmas season both in WDW and DLP, I can safely say that while DLP's version may not be as big, it is every bit as magical. And we sometimes even get real snow!

I think you were unlucky with the restaurants. We've often had counter service outside the normal times - but it has tended to be mid afternoon as we usually have our main meal at a table service restaurant in the evening. However, don't forget you also have Earl of Sandwich, plus Five Guys and Vapiano in the Village to try too.
Other parks: Tokyo

Edited at 10:19 PM.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List