Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Feb 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Alamo Spare Wheel

Hi. Does anyone know what happens if you get a puncture and there is no spare tyre.

It happened to us in 2016, and we had quite a lot of hassle waiting for Alamo to sort it out.

They eventually came out with another car, but I got the impression that this was not what they normally do.

Do we have to pay for a tow truck to take us to a garage, or is it the responsibility of Alamo to sort it out?
Thanks
James
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
No spare wheel then Alamo have to sort it out be that a replacement or a tow.

Very very rare not to have a spare even though it is normally a space saver.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

As above However if replacement or foam fill provided its up to as is standard worldwide.
Enjoy
Old 18 Feb 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
As above However if replacement or foam fill provided its up to as is standard worldwide.
Enjoy
Duncan. Reminds me of my Daughter with her Honda Civic R. Dad I have foamed the tyre but the foam is on the floor. Mmmm, yes. it's got a 4" split in it!

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the replies. Someone told me a while ago that Alamo had started taking all the spares out. Something to do with them wanting customers to pay extra for tyre coverage. I was obviously mislead.
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We had a spare in Nov /Dec I'd dropped DH off at TKD ( yes he trains and takes a class when we are out ) gone to meet a friend to go shopping and discovered I had a flat in the parking lot I started to get the spare out jack up the car and promptly had loads of offers Mam let me get that for you why because when I said no it fine I can manage they said that's why mam you ain't helpless and don't expect it
Did stop by Alamo next morning and get a new spare though
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
UPExodus
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Duncan. Reminds me of my Daughter with her Honda Civic R. Dad I have foamed the tyre but the foam is on the floor. Mmmm, yes. it's got a 4" split in it!
Local garage did this to me, hit a pot hole and drove to the garage (slowly!) to see if the wheel was damaged and the mechanic said "If I'm being honest I think you're going to need a new tyre" No way, really? I hadn't seen the 4 inch gash in the sidewall! Said the wheel was fine, advisoried it on my MOT

With regards to OP, I had a slow puncture in 2015 and calling Alamo up was a right PITA. They put me on hold twice then hung up on me twice. The tyre was emptying from 35-15PSI every two days. So just topped it up every day.
UPExodus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by UPExodus View Post
Local garage did this to me, hit a pot hole and drove to the garage (slowly!) to see if the wheel was damaged and the mechanic said "If I'm being honest I think you're going to need a new tyre" No way, really? I hadn't seen the 4 inch gash in the sidewall! Said the wheel was fine, advisoried it on my MOT

With regards to OP, I had a slow puncture in 2015 and calling Alamo up was a right PITA. They put me on hold twice then hung up on me twice. The tyre was emptying from 35-15PSI every two days. So just topped it up every day.
Punctures! Twice my Daughter arrived at my house with that darn Honda on a low loader! Piece of junk. Thankfully she is a BMW person now. I am holding out for the day she washes it though!

To the point. Staying on site it's easy for me and twice I have had to swap a car out at the CCC due to a slow. The saving grace is taking a car in empty of fuel and getting a new one full!

Old 19 Feb 18, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

next time, do the Mr TM dance ... drive to the nearest Alamo location, get a new car, drive out.
Takes less time driving than waiting on hold.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

We had a slow puncture, leaky valve, that needed topped up every 2 to 3 days. After a couple refills, we were leaving MK one afternoon, and decided spur of the moment about 200 yards from the turnoff to go to the CCC.
In , out with replacement SUV within 15 mins or so, and of course the car came with a full tank. One signature and off we went. I can’t fault Alimo on their service that day. Downside was I left a pair of cheap sunglasses in the original car, gone forever

Edited at 12:01 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List