Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 21 Feb 18, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mozzman
Trainee Dibber

best buffets outside of disney hotels/parks

I have a problem of there are four of us and after discussion we came to the decision that a buffet would be the most preferred way of eating as we all like different things,my daughter will normaly stick to a few dishes ,my son wont have any veg or fillings in his burgers etc,my wife and I eat very healthy.after looking through lots of menus it seems the buffet route is the way to go for us,not everyday but a good few times.can you recommend any on the 192 or international drive or Disney springs.any suggestions welcome
mozzman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
filharmonic
Apprentice Imagineer

filharmonic's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
golden coral every time for us we've tried a few and we find this one the best, someone will come on here and say he opposite but it seems to be the one the Americans use and we have mostly enjoyed it and the choice is immense.
filharmonic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cameragirl69
Proud to wear my Ears

Having used the Golden Corral many times over the years (15 years of going) we had always been impressed but last visit it had gone down hill on not only the food but also how dirty the places were getting (possibly not enough staff to cope). We have now given up on this type of place but truth be told haven't found anything else that can replace it. Maybe things have improved since our last visit in 2013. Good luck in finding something that suits you all and happy holidays
cameragirl69 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

We went on our last trip in 2015, we went late morning and it was changeover time from breakfast to main menu and it was a bit of a riot - the place wasn't busy but the place needed a good clean.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of food options to suit the most fussy of eaters but i'd be unlikely to visit again as there are better places out there that are non buffet...it was definitely worth a try.
Old 21 Feb 18, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
A&S&O
Apprentice Imagineer

Another vote for Golden Corral. A great variety - pizza, burgers, chicken, fish, chips, steak (after 4pm - get there for 3.59, pay lunchtime rates), salad bar etc. Not to everyone's taste, but definitely to ours.

There are also a few Chinese buffets around, if they take your fancy - Hokkaido Chinese & Japanese Buffet and Ichiban Buffet are OK and popular.
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW, 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLP x3, 2015 DLR + DLP x2, 2016 WDW + DLP x2, 2017 WDWx2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2, 2019 WDWx2, 2022 WDWx2, 2023 DLP x2. 2024 DLP x2, WDW. 2025 planning WDW.
A&S&O is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mozzman
Trainee Dibber

thanks golden coral certainly will be on my list,my wife will inspect it first for a minute or two then decide whether we stay or not lol.she is a chef and a bit over picky
mozzman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mozzman View Post
thanks golden coral certainly will be on my list,my wife will inspect it first for a minute or two then decide whether we stay or not lol.she is a chef and a bit over picky
If your wife is a chef and a "bit over picky" I can't imagine she will like Golden Corral. My DD's and I gave it a fair chance for breakfast a few months ago and really weren't impressed.

Most restaurants here have a varied menu and will happily adapt items for picky eaters. Your son wanting a burger without toppings will not be an issue anywhere. I really wouldn't limit yourself to offsite buffets.
Old 21 Feb 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Golden Coral every time... at LBV, not IDrive.

I know it comes in for various criticisms. Yes the plates are plastic and the kfs sets the cheapest ever. Yes, there is a ‘varied’ custom.

GC is at the end of the day, a budget, self service diner with no pretensions to be anything else. I have paid 3 times as much pp elsewhere in Orlando and eaten very average food in restaurants previously lauded on the DIBB (albeit with a nice Plate, Knife and Fork). It is wrong to compare apples with pears.

We find the value awesome and the food very good indeed. Even the Steak is imho superior to the offerings of Sizzlers and the old Ponderosa. (Albeit nothing special).

It is one of the highlights of the vacation for my kids as they can eat exactly what they like and in vast quantities, often things that they wouldn't normally order and subsequently get a taste for.

We could not visit Florida on vacation without a GC... or two. There are not many places where my kids can have a Steak.. with Ice cream... and Gummy bears with jelly on top... on the one plate!

Always after 1800, though.

Edited at 05:18 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Golden Coral every time... at LBV.
I know it comes in for various criticisms. Yes the plates are plastic and the kfs sets the cheapest ever. Yes, there is a ‘varied’ custom.
We find the value awesome and the food very good indeed.
It is one of the highlights of the vacation for my kids as they can eat exactly what they like and in vast quantities.
We could not visit Florida on vacation without a GC... or two.
I've said on here a dozen or more times that no other restaurant polarises opinion amongst Dibbers than GC.

We maybe go once a week for breakfast, maybe once every holiday for dinner but never for lunch. So long as you manage your expectations and don't expect Victoria & Alberts we find it good value for money with a wide choice.

Mick
Old 21 Feb 18, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mozzman View Post
With Golden Coral you pay at the entrance so you cant see the food before you pay. To be honest my family love it, they get to try stuff they would not want to order a whole plate of first time
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List