Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Feb 18, 05:33 AM  
Link to this Post
sugarrayk
Getting to know the DIBB

Alamo Standard SUV choice

Hi, we arrive at Sanford Airport, 20th July 2018 for a 21 day holiday. We have booked a standard SUV with SatNav through Alamo. What choice of car can I expect and which car should I try to choose. I am not that clued up on cars. I drive a NIssan Quashqai in the UK, is that classed as a standard SUV? That is the minimum size we would accept. Thanks for any tips.
sugarrayk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Look at the sticky guides above for fleet lists and photos of what people have rented. A Ford edge, Kia Sorrento or Hyundai Santa Fe are the sort of size your looking at although the Santa Fe comes in 7 seat form in standard and the Ford Explorer is also standard. I think your Nissan like the Ford Kuga (us Escape) are the smaller intermediate size.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

The Nissan Rogue Sport, which is essentially a Qashqai is an Intermediate SUV (like Ford Escape which is a Kuga here). To confuse matters the Nissan Rogue is pretty much the same as a X-Trail here.

Over there on the Santa-Fe and Rogue the ‘Sport’ versions are smaller cars and classed as Intermediate.

You’ll be OK with a Standard and if all you want is a Qashqai/Kuga size car then an Intermediate SUV would be ok.
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
sugarrayk
Getting to know the DIBB

Thanks for the info. I am glad that we will have a car larger than a Quashqai. If I get to choose, what would be your USA car of choice?
sugarrayk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Originally Posted by sugarrayk View Post
Thanks for the info. I am glad that we will have a car larger than a Quashqai. If I get to choose, what would be your USA car of choice?
We had a brand new Ford Edge on our last trip as a Standard SUV which was pretty much fully loaded and it was wonderful - this was with Budget at Tampa. Loved every minute of that car over there and would buy one here if they weren't so expensive (I don't do that many miles anymore so don't want to spend on a car thats mostly going to sit there). I drive a Qashqai too and can happily advise that you shouldn't feel at all out of your depth with the size difference in your car up to a 'Standard' in the US - they are bigger but so is everything there so it should feel pretty normal to you.

We have a Standard SUV booked again this year (Budget again but in Miami) and I am hoping to either get another fully loaded Ford Edge, or might be cheeky and ask if they have a Ford Expedition which sometimes can fall into the Standard SUV.

I'm not sure what the choices will be for you with Alamo from Sanford - we have only flown into Sanford once which was our very first trip and the choices there were limited although we were allocated a decent car then.
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)

Edited at 11:53 AM.
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FloridaDave View Post
We have a Standard SUV booked again this year (Budget again but in Miami) and I am hoping to either get another fully loaded Ford Edge, or might be cheeky and ask if they have a Ford Expedition which sometimes can fall into the Standard SUV.
I think you mean Explorer. EXPEDITIONS are definately full size. Alamo confirmed to me recently that Explorer is standard size. Although i guess bigh spec may go higher.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

When we rented from Sanford we didn’t get a choice, they brought the car to us (maybe that was the only one available). We had a Ford Explorer.

Other cars we’ve had from mco Alamo were Dodge Journey, Santa Fe and a fab upgrade to a Tahoe.

Edited at 10:48 AM.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
lolalolo86
Imagineer

We got a Ford Explorer in 2015 from Sanford Alamo. It was the Limited one and it had all the toys you could wish for. Fab panoramic sunroof, leather, reversing camera, sat nav, satellite radio. We loved it and would love another this year.
lolalolo86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Welshjim22 View Post
I think you mean Explorer. EXPEDITIONS are definately full size. Alamo confirmed to me recently that Explorer is standard size. Although i guess bigh spec may go higher.
Whatever the next one up that sometimes makes its way into a standard is what I meant. I wouldn’t want the really massive one - a bit overkill for 3 of us 😂
Old 26 Feb 18, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

We had a Chevy Traverse last May.. lots of room
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List