Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 21 Aug 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Wanye .. You have given me some more great pointers thanks

We have just bought an extra freezer for the winter so I am going to start filing it up with meals

I do a lot of meal packing but you are gold standard

My pointers are

I cut up fruit and freeze initially on a chopping board on parchment paper in the freezer you can then bag individual pieces for smoothies and they dont all fall out in one chunk

Always buy yellow sticker bread if we need it as I make homemade burgers for quick meals using my go to £3;50 burger press from amazon

Bulk buy meat , Cheese and Milk from Costco split it down and freeze

Have one day a month where I batch cook and freeze loads of simple meals, Beef casserole, shephards pie, chicken korma etc

raid the yellow sticker aisles for items that can be frozen , sauces , herbs which I chop and freeze ( chives are lovely mixed with mash )
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
Have one day a month where I batch cook and freeze loads of simple meals, Beef casserole, shephards pie, chicken korma etc
i just do it as part of my normal cooking routine... so if im making a curry or something, i do enough for at least two more portions (for 2) - the large takeaway tubs are perfect for 2 people (the smaller size isnt generally enough i find, unless you bulk it out with some extra fresh veg/tomatoes/whatever)

i never freeze bread, it's too bulky/cheap - i'd rather use that space to house another kilo of mutton or something - the only exceptions to this are parathas, and dough balls for pizza/knedliky/pitta... but then we dont eat that much bread anyway, we get through maybe a loaf a week

btw, if its any use, i find the tesco own brand sandwich/food bags to be the best quality cheap ones. they have double seals and are a decent thickness, so good for sous vide cooking as well
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List