Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Nov 20, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far . When people say the removal die did the packing I presume you mean that it was already all boxed up and furniture flat packed etc before hand by yourselves so it was just actually putting it on the van -neatly and safely and then unpacking at the other end ?
No, some choose to pay to have the house packed up! Last year my brother in law moved from the Midlands down to Buckinghamshire and the removal men came round one day and packed everything into boxes then the next day came to load and move it! I think they paid around the £2500 but I will find out later. They are moving back in feb as they can’t settle so will have to pay it again!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for all the replies so far . When people say the removal die did the packing I presume you mean that it was already all boxed up and furniture flat packed etc before hand by yourselves so it was just actually putting it on the van -neatly and safely and then unpacking at the other end ?
No for us they will be doing all the packing and taking apart any furniture. That service is costing us £600 so without would have been approx £1800.

They’ll be packing the day before the move and storing some things overnight as it’ll be easier to move some bits straight to the truck to make packing easier.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I must be tight I have never paid a penny , own packing borrowed a mates van and lifted everything ourselves with a few friends for very heavy stuff .
sassysar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We had several quotes around £1400 including packing for a 10 mile trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
For info, just accepted this quote for our (rather sudden!) move on 3 December. Going into storage, then onward to Fife.

For a move to Store £850.00 Plus Vat = £1020.00
For a Move to Fyfe £2350.00 Plus Vat = £2820.00
Full Packing Service £350.00 Plus Vat = £420.00
Storage per Week £72.00 No Vat paid Monthly in Arrears

Dismantling/ reassemble £90.00 Plus vat = £108.00

Packing Materials if required Included

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

We moved 50 ish miles last year from a 4 bed/2 reception and double garage. We had majority of house/garage boxed up but to cover us with insurance we had to have fragile items professionally packed. DH dismantled the beds, which was the only stuff that needed it. They put the pieces in the rooms we wanted. The company packed the kitchen stuff and other breakables, loaded 2 standard lorries on day 1, stored in their depot in the lorries on day 2, delivered to our new house 50 miles away on day 3. It was a local independent rather than national company and cost around £2,000. Another one was slightly cheaper and the third was slightly more. They supplied boxes which we could keep but the wardrobe boxes we had to unload that day. Hope that helps.

Good luck to your mum, my mil did a 150 move with stuff going into storage for about 3-4 months as she moved in with sil but I know she wouldn't tell me what she paid, howver I do know that she only got one quote from her local Pickfords as she wouldn't use anyone else!

Just to add that dd just moved flats a few miles, took around 4 hours total. We had boxed up, they dismantled bed and wardrobe, loaded up, drove to new house, unloaded and reassembled wardrobe. Annoyingly they couldn't get her bed up the stairs so obviously couldn't reassemble it However she didn't get any reduction for that! She paid £350 for this and did agree that it was well worth it!

Luckily she managed to sell the bed really quickly and will be very careful what she buys next!

Edited at 11:45 AM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
So my mum is trying to move house .
She will be moving about 150 miles .
She has a good sized 3 bedroom bungalow
The removal firm will need to make 2 drops , one at her temporary new home and one at a storage facility

I believe that everything will be boxed up before the removal firm come and that they don’t need to supply any extra boxes - just a question of loading up , moving it and unloading ( *2) at the other end

But they are supplying some ‘ wardrobe boxes’ and stuff to cover beds /project carpets etc

She has one quote ( not going to say how much to not sway people and seems to want to go with them because they are local and a family firm ) I have advised them to get more quotes but they don’t seem to want to and I want to at least check it’s reasonable

Any ideas appreciated

Best bet call around and see what local company’s charge
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We moved house 3 weeks ago and paid £1300. We moved about 15miles away, have a 4 bedroom house with double garage and moved to a similar set up. The removal firm packed for us and dismantled all the beds. Our house has far less clutter than it did 10years ago when 5 of us moved!
In 2 weeks we are having about 15-20 items of furniture moved from my mums home, some to my house and some to my daughters house. Items include a piano and a grandfather clock, £465 was the best quote we got,

Edited at 12:12 PM.
boo2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thanks for all your help.
She won’t look into anyone else and is kind of pressuring me into telling them that it’s ok to go with them
I am not stopping them going with whoever they want but they only have one quote and won’t entertain anyone else

Anyway the quote was £1350 so based on others above, looks like a very fair quote
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
So my mum is trying to move house .
She will be moving about 150 miles .
She has a good sized 3 bedroom bungalow
The removal firm will need to make 2 drops , one at her temporary new home and one at a storage facility

I believe that everything will be boxed up before the removal firm come and that they don’t need to supply any extra boxes - just a question of loading up , moving it and unloading ( *2) at the other end

But they are supplying some ‘ wardrobe boxes’ and stuff to cover beds /project carpets etc

She has one quote ( not going to say how much to not sway people and seems to want to go with them because they are local and a family firm ) I have advised them to get more quotes but they don’t seem to want to and I want to at least check it’s reasonable

Any ideas appreciated
It's been a while since I last did a move, but there is a pack-up and un-pack cost that relates to the amount of stuff and the man hours needed to unload.

Where it gets expensive is most moves work on a £1-£1.50 per mile (there and back) cost for the travel and also you will have at least three movers and they need to be paid for those driving hours.

So a 150 mile journey is 300 miles - so about 6 hours driving.

Assume £15 p/hr per person (£10 to them £5 to company)

Thats £300 just for sitting in the van and £450 for the travel so £750 just for the travel over and above what it would cost if just moving 2 miles down the road
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List