Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Jun 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Stokieuk
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Will take a look at them myself. Always used uscarhire in the past.

Driving is an absolute breeze. Just remember you can (uusally) turn right on red stop sign if the way is clear. The locals get horn happy if you sit at the lights

Most cars support android auto so not normally a need for sat nav. I just take an old phone with a Three sim for cheap data.
Stokieuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Stokieuk View Post
Will take a look at them myself. Always used uscarhire in the past.

Driving is an absolute breeze. Just remember you can (uusally) turn right on red stop sign if the way is clear. The locals get horn happy if you sit at the lights

Most cars support android auto so not normally a need for sat nav. I just take an old phone with a Three sim for cheap data.
We hardly ever use satnav over there - maybe once every visit for a trip off the beaten track. Joan has "Here we go" on her mobile and if you load Florida maps at home it doesn't use data over there. I think Google Maps, Waze and Navmii are similar but Here has never let us down when we're driving through Frostproof and Zolfo Springs on the back lanes from AMI.

Mick
Old 8 Jun 20, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Driving in the USA is very easy and quite relaxing.
Most roads are straight lol
Just remember that on a motorways (interstate such as I4, or toll roads) cars can overtake on both sides of you and you will see some that like to swap a lot to get one car ahead lol
The other is a crossroad, now these can be a little difficult, as it depends who gets to the crossroads and stops first who can go first. There are not many of these anyway.
Just relax, put the radio on and enjoy
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mick is the expert on car hire and using tolls etc. I havent driven the amount of miles Mick has, but I have maybe done 30,000 in total over the years. It is very easy driving over there- much easier than here!

I remember back to my first time- 2 things I wish I had known.

1- You can turn right on red (treat it as a give way but you should stop) apart from where there is a sign saying no turn.
2- Seems daft now, but we didn't realise the road names above the roads were the intersecting roads- we thought it was the road we were on! Really threw us that when I was a daft 21 year old, a long time ago now.

Just booked with Andy myself due to his reportedly good service on here, I said I would use him from now on. I would not normally book a Dollar car, prefering Alamo skip the counter but the deals in December are too tempting.

Edited at 07:19 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Mick is the expert on car hire and using tolls etc.

I remember back to my first time- 2 things I wish I had known.

1- You can turn right on red (treat it as a give way but you should stop) apart from where there is a sign saying no turn.
2- Seems daft now, but we didn't realise the road names above the roads were the intersecting roads- we thought it was the road we were on! Really threw us that when I was a daft 21 year old, a long time ago now.

Just booked with Andy myself due to his reportedly good service on here, I said I would use him from now on. I would not normally book a Dollar car, prefering Alamo skip the counter but the deals in December are too tempting.
Thanks YT and I have already bored a few people on this thread already. Haven't hired as many times as Tom but because we never visit the parks now we do explore the other 65,700 square miles that Florida has to offer.

Yes the turn on red is very common unless there's a sign banning it. You'll often see "no turn on red" where there are two lanes turning right. One example is leaving I-4 east on to Sand Lake Road eastbound.

One very serious law though is stopping for a school bus if it has it's stop sign out whichever way you're travelling on a single carriageway road.

As I know absolutely nothing about WDW hotels and Fastpasses I'm just pleased that I can post on stuff I know a bit about.

Mick

PS Just be very very wary of the Dollar Sunpass scheme

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

Edited at 07:28 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post

Hijacking a thread again, but is the Visitor Toll Pass (or whatever it was called) still running? We used that last year and it was superb!
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Emailed Andy after 10pm last night cancelling a car hire for September ,Personal reply within ten minutes . Above and beyond as usual.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Thanks YT and I have already bored a few people on this thread already. Haven't hired as many times as Tom but because we never visit the parks now we do explore the other 65,700 square miles that Florida has to offer.

Yes the turn on red is very common unless there's a sign banning it. You'll often see "no turn on red" where there are two lanes turning right. One example is leaving I-4 east on to Sand Lake Road eastbound.

One very serious law though is stopping for a school bus if it has it's stop sign out whichever way you're travelling on a single carriageway road.

As I know absolutely nothing about WDW hotels and Fastpasses I'm just pleased that I can post on stuff I know a bit about.

Mick

Thanks I had totally forgotten about the Dollar Sunpass. Will try to get visitor tollpass instead you reckon?
Old 9 Jun 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Hijacking a thread again, but is the Visitor Toll Pass (or whatever it was called) still running? We used that last year and it was superb!
It's been temporarily suspended...I would imagine once international travel starts up again, they'll start offering it... Hopefully.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Andy was fab when are trip was cancelled .
Refund back in account within days.
Will be using him again next year 👍🏻
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List