Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Nov 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

Split Stay & DME Question

If things get back to near normal, we are looking a split stay between HRH and CSR.

One thought was to only keep the car for the HRH part of the stay and do all of our shopping etc before heading off to the Disney bubble.

If I used the car to drop the family and luggage off at CSR and then returned the car to MCO, would I then be able to jump on the DME to get back to my hotel?

Thanks
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I thought DME had to be booked in advance with a flight number and hotel reservation number. I could be wrong though. Also you can't just get on it like a normal bus. You have to go to the DME check in desk and they tell you which bus to get on.

Edited at 12:08 AM.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 20, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

Why not use the car to transfer to CSR and then drop it off at the Disney Car Centre near the Magic Kingdom instead of going to the airport? They will then give you a complimentary ride in a shuttle back to CSR.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. The post above is the best way I agree but of course that presupposes the car is an Alamo one.

However you can do a similar tactic with Avis and Hertz etc as they have desks in various Hotel lobbies on WDW property. However you will then need to grab an Uber etc to CSR. A lot quicker than going back to MCO

Mind you most of these desks are temporarily closed due to the Virus but that will change as things improve next year.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

I'm currently looking at Avis / Budget rather than Alamo so the Car Centre isn't an option. I looked online and can't see a drop off option within WDW for Avis or Budget.

ReME booking - I will have a Disney Hotel booking so would assume that they would let me use the DME if I booked in online. I just wouldn't have a flight number but assuming they don't check, could probably just pick a scheduled arrival for near the time I want to drop the car off as I have seen people comment that they have booked in when they arrived at MCO having forgotten to do so in advance
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonkeyCentreArf View Post
I'm currently looking at Avis / Budget rather than Alamo so the Car Centre isn't an option. I looked online and can't see a drop off option within WDW for Avis or Budget.

ReME booking - I will have a Disney Hotel booking so would assume that they would let me use the DME if I booked in online. I just wouldn't have a flight number but assuming they don't check, could probably just pick a scheduled arrival for near the time I want to drop the car off as I have seen people comment that they have booked in when they arrived at MCO having forgotten to do so in advance
I haven't heard that. Disney told me it has to be booked in advance for logistical reasons, so they know how many buses to lay on each day.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I can't see any reason why you can't use the DME as you have a Hotel booking so are fully entitled to.

You could just pick any old flight if you wanted to that arrives in circa the time you want to use the bus. That way you can make a booking

Plus as we know even if a flight is delayed say for 6 hours they still let you use that bus.

With regards to the hire car locations in WDW etc most of them aren't appearing when you search because they are currently closed. They will come back all being well.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

Re the DME booking, yes you can 100% do that, so long as you book it in advance for roughly the right time. We did this in our early 2020 trip, stayed in a villa first then dropped our rental car back to MCO and hopped on DME to Saratoga Springs even though we didn't arrive on a flight or anything. We actually considered taking the cases etc to SSP first but in the end decided it'd be faster to just all travel together from villa to MCO to SSP. But technically, there's no reason you can't do what you suggested. Here's the direct link to this day in my trip report in case it helps!
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List