Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Nov 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Marchtime
Trying for More Ears

Christmas 2021 - Am I mad?

I've been an avid reader of this board since planning our Disney honeymoon in 2017, which was spectacular. We were due to return in May of this year, but along with everyone else our hopes were dashed. We were very lucky to have a full and quick refund as we booked through an amazing independent travel agent who price matched my own research.
Anyway, of course I'm now looking at when we can re-book. It's only myself and husband (mid-thirties) and we love the theme parks but also Disney Springs and general US culture and sport.
We've been talking about heading to Vegas on the 23rd December 2021 and then swapping to Orlando around 27th December for a week or 10 days. Are we mad to think we would manage to get on any rides at the parks? Will the crowds destroy us? We don't mind early starts, mid day breaks and late nights and we would stay on site. I know it will be busy but I'd appreciate any feedback from those who have braved this time of year before.
Marchtime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post

Do you definitely need to take your leave at that time? We have booked early December as we want to see the decorations, but without the crowds.

I think it is hard to predict what things will be like in a years time, but I would work on the worst case scenario that it will be as busy as a usual Christmas / NY, that is, as busy as it gets. I once went at a moderately busy time and we found we could do no more than the first three fast passes each day, no more to be had and we didn’t fancy queuing for hours on end.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It’s good at Christmas. We were there last year- really only noticed it mega busy New Year’s Eve. It got busier after Christmas Day.
We go in the parks early and head back at lunchtime usually.
Old 20 Nov 20, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We tend to go every other Christmas.

Whilst it is busy, there are quiet times (for instance Universal is usually deathly quiet after 6pm most nights). Also it's cooler than the summer, so the queues are more bearable.

There is more theming, more Christmas Cheer and all-round I'd choose to go for Christmas over any other time of the year regardless of crowds
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cismwynn
Very Serious Dibber

Another thing to consider... it can get cold at that time of year. I have been there at Christmas when it was so cold that we ended up buying socks to wear as gloves while we were in the park (there were no gloves left!).
POFQ - Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014, / OKW - Aug 2012 / Beach Club - Oct 2015, Jul 2017 / Dibb Villa - Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Dec 2009, Dec 2010, Oct 2011, Jul 2013, Jul 2014, Dec 2014, Jul 2015, Aug 2017
cismwynn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cismwynn View Post
Another thing to consider... it can get cold at that time of year. I have been there at Christmas when it was so cold that we ended up buying socks to wear as gloves while we were in the park (there were no gloves left!).
I've been at Christmas when there has been ice on the ground, I've also been at Christmas and it's been sunburn weather all week
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Last Christmas was unseasonably wet, but it was warm- in the 80s every day. Even though it rained quite a bit, it was a damn site better than being stuck here. We cannot wait to go Xmas 2021 and I’m hoping to book Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk again in a split stay.

Ice is unusual at Christmas but they can get cold fronts throughout winter.

I was once there (not Xmas) and it snowed overnight. The next morning I had hoodie and shorts on and by afternoon I was sunbathing at the pool!

Xmas 2018-19 was a cracker- sunny and mid 80s every day nearly.

Most USA residents love the weather around Xmas.

Edited at 12:51 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Marchtime
Trying for More Ears

Thank you everyone. We know to expect crowds and are happy to queue, park hop and use fast passes wisely. We are still weighing up staying at AKL or on site at Universal. I'd prefer AKL but we'll have to look at costs. We might even do 5 nights AKL and 3 nights Universal.
Weather wise all we're hoping for is better than the UK. We did Christmas in New York a few years ago and that was freezing! We have complete freedom with annual leave but I like the idea of being away for Christmas and NYE. It makes me happy just thinking that I can start planning.
Marchtime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

What if there are still no fast passes? Nobody knows when or even if they'll be back.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
What if there are still no fast passes? Nobody knows when or even if they'll be back.
Looking at current crowd levels on the likes of Tim Tracker and All Ears, they won’t be necessary if crowds remain that low. I believe FPs will return when the crowds do.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List