Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Sep 17, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Axi1
Earning More Ears

Total novice - check in questions

Hi, sorry for a couple of potentially dense questions, me and DD are flying out from Gatwick on Monday with Virgin, we have never flown long haul or with hold luggage before so it's all a bit new and I'm going round in circles looking for info online!

Looking at the virgin online check in, is it best to do this the day before travelling along with the api as mentioned in our holiday pack, or wait and do it at the airport, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

As it's just the 2 of us travelling we really want to sit together so I've been looking at prebooking seats on the flight, is it generally worth paying the extra cost for that or would we be seated together anyway as travelling together?

And for the really stupid question ... what do we actually do when we arrive at the airport?! Seriously, never having done this before, is it pretty idiot proof on where to go etc?

Thanks for any tips, I can't believe we're actually flying out to Disney in a few days time!
Old 13 Sep 17, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Definitely complete API at your earliest convenience then it's another thing out of the way (I trust you have completed your ESTAs?).

This close to flight, probably worth waiting for on line check in to open and get on line as soon as it does and check in, by doing that you should be able to bag two seats together without paying.

When you get to Gatwick, enter the North terminal and follow the signs to the Virgin check in area, and having already checked in look for the 'bag drop'. There will be staff around to offer you guidance if you need it.

Make you sure you allow plenty of time so you are not rushing or under pressure as once you've done your bag drop, you can enjoy the queue of security and go airside and start to relax, have a bite to eat, shop etc.

Just make sure you keep an eye on the departures board once you are within 60 or so minutes from your scheduled departure time and once it says go to gate, do go to gate as it will most likely be a good walk away and there will be more security/check in bits to do at the gate.

Most importantly, don't panic, relax and enjoy

Edited at 12:06 AM.
HenrysDad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Axi1
Earning More Ears

Thank you so much that's all really helpful and sounds much less stressful than I imagined.

Yes the ESTAs are done, I got that out of the way as soon as I booked as I'd read to do it early in case of any glitches (fortunately there were none!)

I still can't believe we're actually going! It's our first trip to Florida but hopefully won't be our last
Old 13 Sep 17, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
A&S&O
Apprentice Imagineer

As someone pointed out - do your API NOW.

We've never pre booked seats and have either been allocated adjacent seats, or been able to choose them at online check in - do it as soon as it is available.

I don't know what sort of plane you are on, but some have a few rows at the back near the window with just 2 seats. They would be ideal as there are just two of you.
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW, 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLP x3, 2015 DLR + DLP x2, 2016 WDW + DLP x2, 2017 WDWx2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2, 2019 WDWx2, 2022 WDWx2, 2023 DLP x2. 2024 DLP x2, WDW. 2025 planning WDW.
A&S&O is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Axi1 View Post
And for the really stupid question ... what do we actually do when we arrive at the airport?! Seriously, never having done this before, is it pretty idiot proof on where to go etc?
It's pretty much the same routine wherever you go - and generally the same for both long haul and short haul. Here's a long description...

You get to the airport and head to the check in desks for your airline and/or flight. You may have to join a long queue to check in. Or, if you've already checked in online, head to the bag drop desks and drop your hold luggage off there.

Once you've checked in and/or dropped off your hold luggage, head to the line for security. If it's busy then this queue can be quite long. Make sure everyone in your group has their boarding card and passport ready and available. You'll have to put your hand luggage and any metal items you have (keys, loose change, etc) into a tray for scanning, and probably have to take out any electronic items from your hand luggage.

Once through security, you can head into the "duty free" stores where you can buy lots of expensive items. Depending on how long it took you to check in and get through security, you can now kill time by having a bite to eat or drink in the restaurants and cafes or browse around the shops.

Meanwhile, keep an eye of the electronic departures board to see when your flight is called to go to gate. The board will show the gate number you need to go to. Once it is time, head to the gate and wait a while until called to board the plane. Then you'll join a long line queuing to get onto the aircraft. Remember to have your boarding cards and passports ready again as you board.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
You've already had plenty of advice so I'll try not to confuse you.

First of all you can't do API NOW with Virgin I'm afraid. Since their pretty poor web site re-launch last November you now can't do API until 24 hours before your flight. This is when you can also do OLCI.

So if you have web access exactly 24 hours at the earliest before your flight it's worth doing both API and OLCI then. But don't stress if you can't - plenty of Dibbers have done it at the airport.

Secondly are you staying overnight at the airport? We always do as we live about 3 hours drive away. Seen too many serious accidents on the motorways and they've been closed for hours. Always good to settle in a hotel, relaxing dinner and a simple stroll over to the terminal next day.

If you are staying overnight you can also do twilight check-in. This means you check your luggage in the night before and get boarding cards. Next day you simply go straight through security.

Mick

Edited at 02:51 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 17, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Axi1
Earning More Ears

Thanks everyone, it all sounds fairly simple which is a relief, I'd spent so much time on meal plans and fast passes that I'd not given the flight any thought until now!

I must admit I hadn't thought about staying overnight before the flight and was just planning for hubby to drive us to Gatwick on Monday morning as we only live about 2 hours drive away but given that we have to use the dartford crossing and M25, Monday morning rush hour may not be good. I have now made a snap decision and booked into a hotel at north terminal for the night, thanks for that suggestion, it will cut out any traffic worries and also make our hols start a bit earlier too 😀

Ive got the web pages saved and plan to do the online check in and api as soon as I can tomorrow and then I think we're good to go - I still can't believe we're really going but we are! 😀
Old 17 Sep 17, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Axi1
Earning More Ears

Oh my god I've just noticed my countdown timer is in hours and minutes only now - just a tad excited 😁😁😁
Old 17 Sep 17, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Axi1 View Post
Oh my god I've just noticed my countdown timer is in hours and minutes only now - just a tad excited 😁😁😁
Have a fantastic time. You really won't regret staying overnight tonight. There can be nothing worse than being trapped for hours between junctions on the motorway waving at your plane as it passes over head.

Maybe your countdown is a day short though if it's linked to your flight time?

Mick