Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Sep 17, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Flights

I fly with thomspon on the 29th and from Manchester that's Friday, so they must fly on other days aswell

Edited at 10:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
johnnysharp2
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by DisneyMad1974 View Post
I fly with thomspon on the 29th and from Manchester that's Friday, so they must fly on other days aswell
This month?

The thread is about May and next year's schedule.
There is a reduction in the number of flights.
johnnysharp2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

I'm flying Thomson in July next year from Manchester to SFB on the 787 in PE. We booked up a couple of weeks ago and when I went to choose my seat I was surprised to find about a third of the seats already taken. It was kind of a relief to know we weren't the only Uber-planners in Manchester!

However, since around two-thirds of the PE seats on our flight were still available it does seem unlikely that all the seats would be reserved on so many of the flights in May, suggesting maybe that Thomson arent reconfiguring their 787s to PE.

I can see Virgin are offering direct PE from Manchester for £700...
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
johnnysharp2
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
I'm flying Thomson in July next year from Manchester to SFB on the 787 in PE. We booked up a couple of weeks ago and when I went to choose my seat I was surprised to find about a third of the seats already taken. It was kind of a relief to know we weren't the only Uber-planners in Manchester!

However, since around two-thirds of the PE seats on our flight were still available it does seem unlikely that all the seats would be reserved on so many of the flights in May, suggesting maybe that Thomson arent reconfiguring their 787s to PE.

I can see Virgin are offering direct PE from Manchester for £700...
I have made a couple of calls to them including travel agents and been told it is because PE is already booked up, but someone else has also said it might be because the planes are a different config on a lot of days - so basically, depends on who you speak to!

Edited at 02:08 PM.
johnnysharp2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
curlysue2
Apprentice Imagineer

On our flight this year the attendant told us that Thomson were going to change all planes to dreamliners as they were more efficient and cheaper to run.
curlysue2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by curlysue2 View Post
On our flight this year the attendant told us that Thomson were going to change all planes to dreamliners as they were more efficient and cheaper to run.
I'm not sure that makes much sense on short haul. The Dreamliner has been designed as a long haul aircraft, specifically "long and skinny" - long flights to secondary airports with lower -"skinny"- demand.
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Trip
Being a bit Goofy

Like others have said no doubt there is less demand so they've cut the flights and moved their limited number of planes onto more profitable routes. I don't doubt that they make more money with a hotel booking onto top of the flight, but i'm sure a lot of people who fly Thomson to SFB book flight only... I do and have picked up some bargains in the past!

I often find with Thomson through their website that PE isn't even listed as an option, even if there are PE seats free. Everytime I've called up and spoken to someone there are PE available! It may have something to do with how the business is run, I've found that their shops cannot deal with any on-line bookings and its possible that they split the PE between on-line and their shops?

They may also might not be sure on what config they will be using next year, so they might not be selling the seats yet?

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
I'm not sure that makes much sense on short haul. The Dreamliner has been designed as a long haul aircraft, specifically "long and skinny" - long flights to secondary airports with lower -"skinny"- demand.
I'm no plane geek but i'm pretty sure the Dreamliner is capable of flying both short and long haul flights very efficiently and was it a key selling point for Boeing

Edited at 04:17 PM.
Trip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

Remember that Thomson is now just one part of the German-owned TUI group - one of the biggest holiday operators in the world. So it's increasingly integrated with the other 5 TUI airlines and the aircraft used and their configurations are likely to become less and less predictable.

A couple of years ago it was all pretty clear cut but now who knows?
Old 18 Sep 17, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I'm no plane geek but i'm pretty sure the Dreamliner is capable of flying both short and long haul flights very efficiently and was it a key selling point for Boeing
Oh, yes, the Dreamliners can fly both long and short haul but the 787 is far pricier to buy than the 737. Whilst the 787 will be cheaper on short-haul fuel than the 737, it'll not be that much cheaper as it's fuel savings really multiply at cruising altitude, so the longer it spends on a single flight the more advantageous it is. However the main reason you won't see the 787 purchased for short haul is due to "capital utilisation". Utilising an expensive long haul plane on short haul routes that you could use any of your cheaper planes on is poor use of the capital tied up in it.