Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 24 Nov 17, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by katie View Post
In 20 years of using manned booth's I have never been offered a receipt. Having said that I have never asked for one & wasn't sure they existed. We have had occasions where we have handed over a $5 note and waited quite a while for change to be offered.

Katie
Katie. I wasn't aware of it either until my mate got scammed maybe 8 years ago or so. He is the most organised Guy I know so if he said he paid he did.
I then researched it and found out about the receipts and now ask each and every time.

How sad we have to cover our backs like this.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Katie. I wasn't aware of it either until my mate got scammed maybe 8 years ago or so. He is the most organised Guy I know so if he said he paid he did.
I then researched it and found out about the receipts and now ask each and every time.

How sad we have to cover our backs like this.
Yes, it certainly takes some enjoyment out of planning the holiday, knowing that you need a plan to get out of the garage without being robbed. Then on return home, you find that you get robbed anyway.

Katie
Old 24 Nov 17, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Yes, it certainly takes some enjoyment out of planning the holiday, knowing that you need a plan to get out of the garage without being robbed. Then on return home, you find that you get robbed anyway.

Katie
Ha ha. Sounds like my Wife on Black Friday deals - help I am being robbed!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

We arrived wednesday and were going to use cash/receipt. At our 1st toll went to cash lane - 2 ladies in the booth who both said we had sunpass and we tried to explain that we wanted to pay but they both kept repeating about the sunpass. No too bothered about the Sunpass cost this week as we will be using toll roads and it may be worth the $20 but after our cruise we have a one night stay so just 2 day car hire and dont feel its worth the extra sunpass cost.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Katie
Hi Katie hin - receipts must be asked for, they're not given as standard. When I got 'done' for an Orlando toll, I couldn't help but think they don't do their 'who can we screw today' research too well. Car collected at MCO and dropped at RSW [Fort Myers], thereafter we had our own motor. The lad I spoke to about the 'mistaken' toll was taken aback to hear we were still in Fl, bet you are I thought. He advised it would take 5 weeks to get the photographic proof... so what proof did you use to place an admin fee/toll against my cc then? I think he realised my tenacious principals would win the day. Five weeks later I ring back, no photo's, no surprise, money refunded.

A friends son got 'done' for over $300 of Miami tolls, he gave up the will to live, she wouldn't. Provided photo's were of a totally different car in every sense, still they wouldn't refund. What finally got them; they had to concede the mileage between collection and drop back meant it was physically impossible that his hire had driven to Miami, then the finally refunded over $300. The bar stewards should also be liable for expenses for phone calls et al., too.

A woman filed a Lee County Sheriff's Office fraud report against a Ft Myers airport hire supplier for 'mistaken' tolls. The supplier provided photo's of a car parked up in the depot, nowhere near a bloody toll!

Some say it's admin errors, my Jim Royle, they know exactly what they're doing, and based on the limited amount who chase error cc payments they're laughing teacakes.

Edited at 10:24 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

Hi Chris. The toll money they want from me is minimal, but I will keep at them till I get it back as I hate being ripped off even for a few quid. I'd rather give the money to a charity than pay for something which I didn't want & didn't ask for.

Katie
Old 24 Nov 17, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi Chris. The toll money they want from me is minimal, but I will keep at them till I get it back as I hate being ripped off even for a few quid. I'd rather give the money to a charity than pay for something which I didn't want & didn't ask for.

Katie
Same here Katie, my toll was $16.95, on principal of the motor being 150 away from Orlando they were damn well putting the funds back!
Old 25 Nov 17, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by spb_IRL View Post
We drove through the cash lanes with the transponder turned to off on 27th Oct. Booth attendant told us that we had already been charged when we went to hand him the cash! All lanes were Sunpass only or Sunpass/cash, there were no cash only lanes. Waiting to see what has come through from Avis charge wise.
And to top it all off, they didn't even have us on the board for Avis Preferred, in fact they couldn't find our booking! Not impressed .
Well that's the toll booth operators fault as you should only be charged by number plate if you fail to stop or don't pay and then drive through. There is no way you should have charged in this circumstances if going to a cash booth. Sounds like you need to take it up with the toll operators.
We never use sunpass or any other method apart from cash and never had a problem.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 17, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

We take the other point of view, being on holiday, $20 isn’t much in the grand scheme of things, and it saves non payment issues that we all read about on here. I use Alamo, but the principal is the same.

We just drive thro the express lanes all the time, no worries about having change, missing the slip to the pay kiosks, blocked cash collection baskets in unmanned tolls, and best of all no shock bills at the end of the rental.We don’t have to avoid toll roads, and generally find them quieter than the main drags.
For us it’s well worth the money to remove that worry, others may want to put that $20 to another use,and that’s fine, just showing our preference and why.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 17, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
We take the other point of view, being on holiday, $20 isn’t much in the grand scheme of things, and it saves non payment issues that we all read about on here. I use Alamo, but the principal is the same.

We just drive thro the express lanes all the time, no worries about having change, missing the slip to the pay kiosks, blocked cash collection baskets in unmanned tolls, and best of all no shock bills at the end of the rental.We don’t have to avoid toll roads, and generally find them quieter than the main drags.
For us it’s well worth the money to remove that worry, others may want to put that $20 to another use,and that’s fine, just showing our preference and why.
Hi PPM, car supplier dependant it can be money well spent for some, not for us, it would be nigh on half our one day hire rate again. I appreciate tolls must be paid, nowt but right, but it's the shockingly disgraceful way these highly suspect charges go unchallenged by the authorities/law. It seems tourists are fair game for borderline fraudulent charges and petrol goughing.

Hope it's not getting too cold up there now, naff here, thankfully we're off to Man Airport the morrow and fly to RSW Monday. Bring on some sun and warmth, our bones are keen as mustard for some heat!