Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Jan 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Calling all Scottish dibbers

We’re seriously thinking of Scotland for our summer hols this year, we’ll be driving from NWWales, probably staying over in the lakes then heading for Scotland, we’d be looking for self catering, so air b & b or a cottage, any thoughts on where we should stay and what we could see, probably a week maximum and no more than say 4 hours drive from the lakes xx
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Disclaimer I’m only classed as Scottish as my grandad was born and raised in Aberdeen😂

I would be stoping around Moffat for a night, the scenery as you drive up the way is the best anywhere I have ever seen.

I would then head west towards Girvan, up to Ayr or Troon then back down, a mini road trip of sorts.

Edited at 09:32 PM.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

St Andrews is lovely, also Loch Lomond area.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Not Scottish but lucky enough to live in Scotland and I can say hand on heart there is truly jaw-droppingly lovely scenery up here!

I personally have found the scenery north of the Central Belt to be stunning, (not really explored south of Central belt yet) - just take a trip around the Loch Lomond area for starters, more beautiful the more North you go

I second St Andrews area on the East coast, our son is at University there so we have been several times and it is more lovely every time we go, along with the other coastal towns on the East coat there, all so pretty

A little further north than you'd planned but well worth the drive, Fort William/Ben Nevis area is another WOW area for scenery

The islands on the west Coast are breathtaking, the bridge (used to be a ferry) over to Skye in particular

Aviemore, again, sooo lovely!

And Glencoe area is surely the best of all (in my opinion)

There is still so much of Scotland left for us to explore and I just know I won't be disappointed. The North Coast 500 is something on our to do list for example.

I'm sure you won't regret your trip wherever you end up
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Not too far from the lakes is Dumfries and Galloway, great place to stay, visit and explore
Great fresh seafood to catch and eat, lots of places to walk round, and visit
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Agree that whilst there are some very nice places in the central belt, getting north is really worth it for some stunning scenery.

Some friends used run a hotel in the Glencoe area. Was a great base to get out and see the fabulous area.

More recently we have taken a motorhome up into Northern Scotland and was a great way to be able to see lots of the country.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We were going to do the north 500 in our camper last year but couldn't do it for obvious reasons. The way foreign travel is looking at the moment we might do it this summer. It does look stunning. 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Thanks everyone, great ideas for me to start researching x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I second what everyone has said and especially about going north. I have a job that takes me all over Scotland driving and I'm never done being stunned at how beautiful our country is. Glencoe gets me every time. I would never get tired of driving through it.

I come from the west coast and the islands are truly beautiful. And I also have to mention the drive up to Inverness and beyond. I made it up to John o Groats this year. I also drove through Speyside which is part of the malt whisky trail. I will make a point of going that way again. And I was also really surprised how lovely Aberdeenshire is and right up to Fraserburgh.

I live close to Loch Lomond, my dh golf course is right on it and no matter what time of year we go, or the weather it would lift your spirits every time.

The borders are different again, but still very lovely and picturesque.

It’s a huge country so no matter where you go you will see something beautiful.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

If you’re coming to Scotland please, please explore more than the central belt. As already mentioned the north has spectacular scenery - we love Inverness, Fort William and Aviemore.

We are fortunate enough to live in Angus, east Scotland - we are 15 miles north of Dundee and 50 miles south of Aberdeen and there are several beautiful towns in the county and also the “gateway to the Glens”. The town we live in is only a few miles from Glamis castle - where the queen mother as born. Our scenery is gorgeous! Have a look at visitangus website.

Depending on what you’re looking for in terms of staying in a remote location or a town you’ll find plenty of accommodation.

Scotland is such a beautiful country - I just wish we were blessed with good weather .
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List