Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jan 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Moonshine
Getting Excited

Charter Travel Cancellation Fees

Hello

We are having an issue with Charter Travel, we have a holiday booked for April, we can’t possibly go in April with the self isolation, not safe, doubt the flights will be going etc we have been attempting to rearrange the holiday for some time but they say they can’t quote 2023.

They want additional deposits and fee’s to move the holiday, they have taken an extraordinarily long time to answer queries and we now find ourselves a few days before the balance is due and we are resigned to losing our deposit now, but now they also want the deposit plus £100 per person to cancel, so another £1000 on top of the deposit to cancel.

Has anyone else had issues like this ?

Thank You
Moonshine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

This is you cancelling I take it. If so you are bound by the contract you signed with them.

They have been seen to be taking advantage of this all the way through and pushing people into the cancel at their cost route.

You will need to wait until the supplying parties cancel their elements at which point the onus falls on Charter to resolve the issue through either finding alternatives or refunding.

You will have to hold your nerve if you want to not have to pay out to Charter.

They may extend the full payment date. Friends tried that route but got nowhere with them, but things may have changed.

Edited at 11:53 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Moonshine
Getting Excited

Thank you, but the balance is due on Monday, we were hoping that airlines would have cancelled by now, but it’s unlikely to happen by Monday now. We asked if they could wait and see for a few weeks but they have refused, asked if they could hold the deposit but it’s a pay us a thousand to cancel and if we don’t do this on Monday more money will be due as it will be inside the 12 weeks.

I have used them for years, I will never ever use them again.

Thank you for the reply.
Moonshine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Given there is next to no chance of the US / UK route reopening you might be best paying.

Personally I wouldn’t touch this company with a barge poll with these sorts of T&Cs. Paying to cancel on top of a deposit isn’t at all normal.

Edited at 12:17 AM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Moonshine
Getting Excited

Never again, every other supplier has been great, changed everything no fees no problem, lesson definitely learned 😕
Old 24 Jan 21, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

As above, your best option is to [begrudgingly] pay the final balance and then hold your nerve. As the suppliers - i.e. the airlines & hotels - start to cancel their elements of the holiday, Charter Travel will be unable to fulfil your contract, so will have to refund in full.

If the FCO advice remains in place - highly likely - there is no way any responsible travel agent can tell you to travel against FCO advice, even *IF* the flights do operate and the hotels are open.

I only ever do DIY holidays to Orlando, but sounds like Charter Travel are best well avoided.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

I had a big holiday booked with Charter Travel last october and they were great. As it got towards paying final balance they contacted me and said that there was no chance we'd be going so they weren't taking the final balance and were refunding me my deposit. It's when you want to cancel you run into issues with them. My advice would be hang tight, there's no way you'll be going in April. Or ask to delay paying balance for a while.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nursetina View Post
I had a big holiday booked with Charter Travel last october and they were great. As it got towards paying final balance they contacted me and said that there was no chance we'd be going so they weren't taking the final balance and were refunding me my deposit. It's when you want to cancel you run into issues with them. My advice would be hang tight, there's no way you'll be going in April. Or ask to delay paying balance for a while.
I think that the OP has already stated that they have refused balance payment delay.

Many companies financial positions are worsening and I wouldnt take what happened last year as the same as this year. Times are tough, companies are struggling.

I am afraid I wouldnt pay any more, better to lose the deposit than the balance as well.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I think that the OP has already stated that they have refused balance payment delay.

Many companies financial positions are worsening and I wouldnt take what happened last year as the same as this year. Times are tough, companies are struggling.

I am afraid I wouldnt pay any more, better to lose the deposit than the balance as well.
Agree that companies must be in a terrible position now, worse than last year but in this instance the OP has booked a package holiday.

As unpalatable as it sounds the best way forward is to keep to your end of the contract and pay up, fail to keep your end of the deal and they win.

If they fail to provide or go bust ABTA or the card provider will step in, this however rests on the OP keeping their end of the deal, if they don’t charter have won.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

even after the airlines had cancelled our flights Charter refused to allow us to cancel prior to balance payment as they hadn't received formal notification. At that point they weren't insisting on the extra £100 thankfully. They were, however inviting on a further deposit and prices quoted for the next year were more than double what we'd paid initially. I would never book with them or any company like theirs again.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List