Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Dec 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
24 hours in Tokyo?

Hi,

Hope everyone has managed to stay safe and well over Christmas.

Not sure if this is the right forum - if not, mods please move.

OK - having had our Australia-New Zealand cruise cancelled , together with flights, for March 2021, we have rebooked the cruise for February 2022.

The new cruise itinerary has us back in Sydney a day earlier than previously (now on a Thursday), so we were considering flying from Sydney to Tokyo on the daytime flight on the Friday, a full day in Tokyo on the Saturday, then flying from Tokyo to Heathrow, again on a daytime flight, on the Sunday.

Just wanted to check if anyone else has "done" 24 hours in Tokyo and if it is worth it - our other options are to fly directly back to the UK on the Friday, or have an additional post-cruise day in Sydney and fly back on the Saturday.

Many thanks.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Ohhhh interesting... !

Do you arrive in Yokohama then, what time do you arrive in Tokyo?
Can you go back to the ship at night or do you have to stay in a hotel - sorry but never done a cruise lol

What do you fancy doing, Disney park or want to see mega city Tokyo - depending on what you fancy doing (and time arrive!) will probably give me a good idea of what to see and do.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hi,

We aren't sailing into Tokyo but will be flying in to Haneda, arriving around 5pm so planning to get a hotel downtown for 2 nights to allow us to get an early start the following morning and late into the evening.

We want to see the city rather than visiting Disney, We would be interested in visiting some traditional sites, and I suspect DW may want to fit in some shopping - hopefully they have some shops with a "man crèche"!

Although we aren't travelling until 2022, our flights (using Avios) are released in late Feb 2021, hence trying to finalise our plans now 🙂
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!

Edited at 09:23 PM.
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Aha got you - what time your flight out?

They do limo buses (coaches to me and you! ) from the airport at that time of day (they are regular but do not run after about 23:00 at night) into the city and stop at several places, so once picked your hotel you can look at that. Nice and cheap and quite regular, and easy to buy tickets from the orange machines once you arrive.

Hotel - well we stayed at the JR Mets hotel in Shibuya station New South Exit.
google/maps/place/...d139.7039 304

It was a small room, we are both over 6 foot and I have got broad shoulders too!) but we slept fine. The location was perfect for us, the rooms spotless and the air con could freeze you - not that you will need that in Feb - but that is unusual in Japan as the air con is used to take the edge off the heat, rather than freeze you.

From there we could walk to the places we wanted to see.

We could walk to Cat Street, Harajuku and Omesando.

We got trains to Obida to go see the stunning team Boardless digital art show there, and looked round that area too as it had 3 big malls.

Went to the Tokyo Skytree to look round there, and on a trip to Ginza we found the sort of Nissan / Sony "future shop" which was great fun.

Apart from shopping for others, we got little for ourselves, as they do not do clothing in our sizes!

Size 12 feet? No chance!

44 inch chest / broad shoulders - not a scooby!

I would never have the nerve to ask your lady about her size, but if she is not as ... petite as the typical Japanese lady, then she will struggle!

Ginza - had the fun KitKat Choclatory shop where you can spend silly money on bespoke Kit Kat lol - but some things they sell make great gifts.

Ginza in general is like Knightbridge - it was the most un-Japanese part of Tokyo we went to and could have been lifted and dropped into any capital city in the world really.

So, what do you guys want to do in the city, part from shopping - and I can try again to give some advise
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Many thanks for that info. From what you have said, it looks as if we will take the stopover in Tokyo, so have a full day on the Saturday in the city. I'm hoping that there will be a flights around midday on the Sunday, so plenty of time for breakfast and to get back to Haneda.

TBH, I like the sound of them not having the "larger" clothes sizes... seems like a good excuse to avoid shopping!

What we would like would be to visit a temple if there is one not too far from the city centre, the Imperial Palace and one of the gardens.

Just wondering if it may be worth looking at one of the half-day tours to try and cover these, leaving us an afternooon/evening to explore on our own?
Old 31 Dec 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

With only 24 hours I would avoid anything that needs queueing for. There is ample to fo. Akihabara has a nearby temple and is a good sight in the evening. Good for the first night.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 20, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Tokyo Station is massive and has levels underneath with food and shopping places (including a Character Street with anime type merch shops) and one exit opens onto a massive wide “street” that leads directly to the Imperial Palace.

japan-guide/e/e3037.html

Edited at 10:42 PM.
Old 31 Dec 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Tokyo Station is massive and has levels underneath with food and shopping places (including a Character Street with anime type merch shops) and one exit opens onto a massive wide “street” that leads directly to the Imperial Palace.

japan-guide/e/e3037.html
When we eventually get to Tokyo, you do realise that you are going to have to help us as our personal guide, don't you?!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Oh Princess Alison... it would be my honour to do so but have only been once!

However I watch a lot of youtube ...

And that was my favourite trip, to a country with the kindest people I have ever met.
Old 31 Dec 20, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Oh Princess Alison... it would be my honour to do so but have only been once!

However I watch a lot of youtube ...

And that was my favourite trip, to a country with the kindest people I have ever met.
I'd love to visit, its top of my list. I'm trying to persuade the others to feel the same way xx
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List