Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Dec 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
When did the standard of driving get so poor

I am just putting this out, when did the standard of driving get so bad. What I’m talking about is the following.
People who just break for no reason or on a slight bend. I was taught Engine breaking, breaking is no good for the environment as all you are doing is turning momentum into heat so if you feel you are going just a little bit too quickly just take your foot off the accelerator.
Another one is if you are turning right move to the middle of the road, that way if there is enough room on the left other vehicles might be able to get through.
And the last one that I think can be dangerous is breaking on a bend, this can destabilise your vehicle you should reduce speed before the bend and drive around the bend.
I was taught all those things above and I would expect everyone else to be taught it as well , was everyone else taught these things as well ?
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

I was taught all of this, and what indicators are for and even how and when to use them and the art of leagal parking!
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

The number of people who manoeuvre, look then signal is insane.
Round here things have definitely got worse on certain roads following lockdown, lots of people treating the ring road like a race track.
Twice this year I've had people pull up on my right at a roundabout and turn left, trying to overtake me when I'm going straight on (or wanting to). I'm considering a dashcam as I'm worried about being in an accident.

Edited at 03:02 PM.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh it’s terrible, I see some horrendous driving and the amount of people who are unable to park properly in a space is shocking. Standards slipping in all aspects of life - driving, spelling, grammar, manners.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I think it's been a drip drip process over many years with a range of factors contributing to the lowering of standards.
  • Over reliance on Speed Cameras.
  • The huge reduction in Roads Policing Officers.
  • Mobile phones distracting drivers
  • The 'I can do whatever I want' mentality.
  • A dearth of common decency, values and manners.
  • Cars that have advanced technology so the Driver can 'relax' more.
  • Councils constructing insane road layouts.

And the list goes on and on

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Oh it’s terrible, I see some horrendous driving and the amount of people who are unable to park properly in a space is shocking. Standards slipping in all aspects of life - driving, spelling, grammar, manners.
My spelling can be atrocious however manners and deference should always be observed whether in a car out out of one
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I think it's been a drip drip process over many years with a range of factors contributing to the lowering of standards.
  • Over reliance on Speed Cameras.
  • The huge reduction in Roads Policing Officers.
  • Mobile phones distracting drivers
  • The 'I can do whatever I want' mentality.
  • A dearth of common decency, values and manners.
  • Cars that have advanced technology so the Driver can 'relax' more.
  • Councils constructing insane road layouts.

And the list goes on and on
I think you correct Tom, regarding driving.

Standards dropping in all areas... spelling appears to be getting worse too. I have to decipher some posts in here or give up completely sometimes. The effect of this poor spelling is affecting me.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I would always like to apologise for my spelling I am dyslexic so I really try to spell things correctly.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
My spelling can be atrocious however manners and deference should always be observed whether in a car out out of one
I also struggle with spelling as I left school so early but I do my best. I have no idea where to shove commas or colons etc so I put them any old where.

Edit I did drive a Commer van once if that helps.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I am seriously thinking of getting a dash cam...its a jungle out there on the roads now.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List