Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jul 18, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Leelsisy
Excited about Disney

need some ideas- road trip

Boy, I haven't been here in ages! Completed our Florida trip in January and really didn't want to come back. I have a germ of an idea to do a West Coast road trip for a big birthday in a couple of years - where do I start?! I would envision starting and ending in San Francisco and incorporating Los Angeles, Las Vegas , Grand Canyon and Yosemite. Is this feasible? Any recommendations/trip reports etc.? Thanks in advance
Old 30 Jul 18, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Is it feasible? Depends on how long you're going for. 2 weeks? Not for me, you'd be completely knackered and rushing so much you'd see nothing. 3 weeks, borderline. Are you panning on driving (probably 3,500 to 4,000 miles in total) or taking internal flights, or combination of both.

California alone is massive, about twice the size of the UK, but then add in say 600-700 miles round trip to the GC. It's a lot.

if I had the time:
San Francisco - 3N
Yosemite - 2N
Sequoia - 1N
Death valley - 1N
Vegas - 4N
GC - 2N
Somewhere between GC and Anaheim (mojave maybe) - 1N
Anaheim - 4N
LA - 1N (wasn't really taken by it)
Pacific Coast Highway - 2N stops along the way

Alternatively take it easier and fly into SF and out of Vegas, but this likely removes either the drive back up the PCH or down via Yosemite etc

There is an awful lot to see and do, I'd rather split over 2 trips tbh. We did 18N and basically only did the coast.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi we did similar 2 years ago although in and out of LA but had done LA before so just an airport for us.
2 n Santa barbera
3 n Monterey ,whale watching a must
4 n San Fran
3 n yosemite
4 n vegas
2 n Palm Springs
So 18 nights for us so if you sub in Grand Canyon for Palm Springs you are nearly there. If you have done lots of orlando before then 2/3 days max for Disney parks and 2 days max for LA sights. The other places could be adjusted slightly but as there is a fair amount of driving to cut some time of dosnt leave a lot of time to see these places properly. Great holiday so go for it and as you know plenty of advice to be had

Edited at 06:39 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

You are proposing an awful lot for a fortnight.

We have recently come back, 14 days on the Coast, San Francisco (3), Castle AFB, Monterey, Madonna Inn, Reagan Library, 6 Flags, Disney (2 days), San Diego (5), Carlsbad, Queen Mary, Santa Monica, Hollywood tour.

This was fantastic, hectic .. and tiring. We didn't pick up our car till day 4 and still clocked up 1200 miles. With hindsight, I would not have changed my itinerary at all and honestly do not believe that I could have rammed in another, single thing. If I had been looking at Yosemite and/or Vegas, then I would have needed another week as fatigue had started to set in on our own 14 day hurricane tour. I was starting to need a vacation.. from the vacation!

The key is research, detail, downloading DIBBERS for their knowledge and then meticulous planning.

I cannot help with your inland suggestions, but you can view my trip on the Cali trip report section, California N to South at Easter. It has images and also covers mistakes as well as a rosy coloured glow to the trip, mainly because it was updated live, every night.

There are numerous other, excellent trip reports that cover the bits that I have no knowledge of, between them you should be able to work towards a plan!

Good luck.. it's well worth it.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
No issue... we did similar 2 years back. My trip report is on here (suitcase and a dream). We did it in 16 nights and honestly the best holiday we have ever had. Only the 2 of us.

We did approx 1800 miles but didn’t do Grand Canyon... so think suggested mileage above is a little extreme.

Maybe do a day trip to Grand Canyon... helicopter maybe?

It is doable...

Best recommendation I can give is choose your must do’s and work out your trip around that!

Have fun planning... it’s amazing!

Feel free to message me if any questions!

Edited at 08:48 PM.
miked1e is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
No issue... we did similar 2 years back. My trip report is on here (suitcase and a dream). We did it in 16 nights and honestly the best holiday we have ever had. Only the 2 of us.

We did approx 1800 miles but didn’t do Grand Canyon... so think suggested mileage above is a little extreme.

Maybe do a day trip to Grand Canyon... helicopter maybe?

It is doable...

Best recommendation I can give is choose your must do’s and work out your trip around that!

Have fun planning... it’s amazing!

Feel free to message me if any questions!
I remember your trip report rather well. I used it as a basis from which I built my own vacation as at that time I had a 'blank sheet'. Unfortunately Yosemite was ruled out due to time and also the possibility of remaining snow in late March.

I never thanked you.. so thankyou!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I remember your trip report rather well. I used it as a basis from which I built my own vacation as at that time I had a 'blank sheet'. Unfortunately Yosemite was ruled out due to time and also the possibility of remaining snow in late March.

I never thanked you.. so thankyou!
Thank you and glad you found the trip report useful!

Yosemite is definitely an excuse to go back!

We will some day... can’t wait to take our little one.
Old 31 Jul 18, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
I think 2 weeks is maybe pushing it slightly , but then I think the above post saying its 3000/4000 miles is extreme too.

We do 2000 miles every year over 3 weeks and that works well for us, no stay shorter than 3 nights, no drive longer than 5/6 hrs.

It also depends what you want to do in each place, for some 2 nights in the LA area is plenty for others they need longer
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 18, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Opps, Sorry OP seems I was in KM not miles

So more like 2,000 to 2,500 MILES

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Leelsisy
Excited about Disney

Thanks very much all for commenting. I knew this was the place to come for good advice. I had three weeks in mind, so I'm still thinking it might be possible. I hadn't heard of Monterey, so have put that on the list. The day trip to the Grand Canyon from Vegas is something I'll look into as that would cut out a bit of driving. So, I think I may have something here. More research required! See you all again down the line! Off to read trip reports!