Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Oct 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

We are just back, I still love Disney & the USA, but it’s not your average holiday is it, we’ve been every couple of years & yes I would still go every year if I had unlimited funds, when you mention how much you spend on a Disney holiday & this is offsite too, friends nearly pass out still it does take a whole lot of planning too, bit stressful at times, the price rises are crazy too, parking etc

We are planning to take our DIL & Grandson in 2021, paying for everything apart from theme tickets & food, just hope she’ll like it 🤞I’m sure Grandson will as he’s been brainwashed with Mickey from a young age he’s 2&1/2 now
Chicago & Boston next year for us, I love the whole of America, but Florida has got the best climate, bar the hurricanes & I would live there in a heartbeat & if I win the Euromillions tomorrow I’ve already chosen my new pad I saw in Miami last week

Edited at 02:59 PM.
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Just no buzz for me anymore. Last time we were in Disney was a 1 day pay at the gate of Epcot. Once in I realised that it just didn’t excite and I would only queue for certain things.
We always thought we would take the grandkids once they were maybe 8 &6 (age we first took our sons) but doubt that we will.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

It sometimes goes in cycles I think. For instance, the recent TC debacle rather knocked the stuffing out of our enthusiasm, but with a few tim tracker vids it's coming back.

I'm fortunate in that many things I can safely ignore/don't affect me.

- Stay onsite at Universal at Royal Pacific Resort for the full 2 weeks, yes not cheap but much better quality rooms than disney and no lines at the Universal parks as we have Express pass. Even with a big EP queue it's maybe 20 mins and you are on. No hotel swapping - too much hassle for us.

- Go in September, now people say this sep was busy, I wonder if that was down to the hurricane concentrating crowds, who knows. But 2018 certainly felt absolutely fine to us.

- Eat smaller meals and in cheaper outlets such as panda express, hot dog hall of fame etc at citywalk. A 2 foot long hot dog + extra fries + drinks was somewhere in the region of $30-40 and fed 3 of us comfortably for the evening. Hardly extortionate prices. Likewise panda express - my 2 parents ate for under $20 most nights. Avoids waiting for food, tipping and overpriced sit down meals. But we aren't posh foodies - I like my food but I like simpler foods done well. Looking forwards to trying voodoo donuts next year, and we love Food and Wine as a way of sampling weirder/nicer foods but only paying $7 a time.

- Don't drive. For us driving is a chore, my father drives a lot for work so will not drive in florida, I barely drive at all so don't want to chance it over there in the crazy traffic. We simply get taxis - once you have factored in parking costs its maybe $20-30 extra to get driven there and back to WDW from US. Worth the convenience. Takes a lot of the stress out of the day.

- Only do the 3 fastpasses at WDW, don't take a phone, but we are flexible with our approach to rides - often coming back later in the day if we have to. As an example we saw Expedition everest at 40 mins so went and did Dinosaur instead, came back after lunch and got on in 10 mins. It's all about flexibility. We could maybe get more done with phones, but I'm not looking at screens on holiday, I do that for fun in my spare time (gaming.)

Every time I think - wow this is an expensive trip is it worth it? I look at alternatives and realise that they don't fill me with any more excitement. They might be cheaper, doesn't mean they are better. Beach trips/all inclusive are NOT for me, I'm a city breaker and theme parker, and neither of those are cheap options. It's £1000+ for 7 nights in a decent (4* or higher) hotel in many european capitals once you factor in transport, add food and ticket costs to places to visit and you can soon spend double that for a single week.

5 nights in London is costing me £600 in transport and hotel costs alone, plus another £300 in food/museum/shop spends... But like Orlando is the best in the world at theme parks, London has the best museums, so I pay it. I live like a monk to afford these trips, might as well get the best.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 03:45 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by clyde/seymore View Post
Food shopping was just sooo expensive compared to what we pay at home. I used to love a good food shop but all I do now is compare prices.

However that doesn’t take away the fact that the restaurants now want 22% tip and don’t seem remotely grateful when they receive it 😡😭.
Or that doesn’t matter where you sit on the plane you get some ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ behind you that thinks you have to poke the seat back screen with as much force as possible the entire journey, there and back! (Presumably playing games) worst flight ever. Or talk at such a loud volume and laugh loudly (had too much to drink) on the night flight back. I have no young children and always dread sitting near them but they were all angels this flight, it was the inconsiderate adults!

Bit of a rant but it’s the first time my favourite place in the world has made me feel like this and I’m a bit disappointed. Am I the only one?
Only recently discovered Disney so I think we are in the honeymoon period however these points for me are spot on... made me chuckle
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Rotonda Bound
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
We decided years ago that although we had had our fill of the parks and Orlando, we still loved coming to Florida and started to visit the Gulf Coast more. There are so many beautiful places to stay.

We eventually built a house on Rotonda West and think we have the best of both worlds. We can drive up to the Disney parks in 2.5 hours, stay a couple of days then return to peace & quiet and beautiful beaches. Where in the UK can you almost guarantee to BBQ every night 😎

We have found that more and more guests are coming for their second week to relax and many just come back the following year to spend the whole 2/3 weeks here.

Florida is a brilliant place to holiday and there is enough variety of activities to suit all tastes. Don't give up just do something different.
😎

Dragonflies Villa ... close to stunning Gulf Coast beaches.
The ideal place to relax and unwind

Rotonda Bound is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
clyde/seymore
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rotonda Bound View Post
We decided years ago that although we had had our fill of the parks and Orlando, we still loved coming to Florida and started to visit the Gulf Coast more. There are so many beautiful places to stay.

We eventually built a house on Rotonda West and think we have the best of both worlds. We can drive up to the Disney parks in 2.5 hours, stay a couple of days then return to peace & quiet and beautiful beaches. Where in the UK can you almost guarantee to BBQ every night 😎

We have found that more and more guests are coming for their second week to relax and many just come back the following year to spend the whole 2/3 weeks here.

Florida is a brilliant place to holiday and there is enough variety of activities to suit all tastes. Don't give up just do something different.
😎

Wow. Bet that’s amazing. Never been there. There are more parts of Florida I’d like to visit especially more of the coast as we always go to the same part there too.
clyde/seymore is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree on this. We are going again next April but after that will be giving it a miss for a few years. Been going for the last 24 years and it's so ridiculously expensive that we can't justify it anymore. Treated ourselves next year as it's our 25th Anniversary. From then on we'll go elsewhere. Greedy Disney has gone to far and has lost all the original qualities it had when we first started to go. It's sad to feel like this but that's the world we live in now. 😫😪
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We fly out next weekend, and whilst I am so happy to be going on holiday, I am definitely not as excited as I have been leading up to previous visits. We have booked again to go next year and taking my 70 year old parents for their first visit and i'm worried they're going to hate it, especially as I have gone on and on about how much we love it. Next year will be the last trip to Disney, and Orlando. Happily go back to Florida though.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

OP - you've been going for 35 years so of course you've lost the love - you're bored! Most people going to the same place for 35 years would be bored, no matter where it was.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The I4 is one of the reasons we’re now onsite converts. It’s just always so busy and I resent spending my valuable holiday time stuck in traffic.